Lets take a break !

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Having just returned from the internet wars, (see; More Chicago Stuff and Favorite Player, threads) I find myself battered, bruised, and mentally exhausted. Artie, are you sure you're not Fat's son ? :)
What started out as "woofing" seemed to go downhill fast. It descended into name calling,
feelings and egos being hurt, old friendships discarded, and the possible loss of a valued fellow member.
Those of us who frequent AZ billiard's, are used to seeing that kind of juvenile flaming on that site. I thought we had a more mature, worldwise group over here.(and I still do.)
I enjoy a good give and take as well as the next guy, but as one of the more outspoken contributors to that fiasco, I truly apologize to ANYONE who was caught in the crossfire between me and Artie.
Most of us are too old to waste our time having anything but fun ! Let's get back to that.

Sincerely

Dick Mc Morran

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Dick Mc Morran said:
Having just returned from the internet wars, (see; More Chicago Stuff and Favorite Player, threads) I find myself battered, bruised, and mentally exhausted. Artie, are you sure you're not Fat's son ? :)
What started out as "woofing" seemed to go dowhill fast. It descended into name calling,
feelings and egos being hurt, old friendships discarded, and the possible loss of a valued fellow member.
Those of us who frequent AZ billiard's, are used to seeing that kind of juvenile flaming on that site. I thought we had a more mature, worldwise group over here.(and I still do.)
I enjoy a good give and take as well as the next guy, but as one of the more outspoken contributors to that fiasco, I truly apologize to ANYONE who was caught in the crossfire between me and Artie.
Most of us are too old to waste our time having anything but fun ! Let's get back to that.

Sincerely

Dick Mc Morran
Well, Dick, what you guys have been going back and forth on is certainly not "juvenile flaming" -- it is way more informative and entertaining than that. No offense to the good people at AZ, but over there what you find is a lot more flaming and piling on between self-proclaimed experts that often don't know what they are talking about. You guys are all true heavyweights that have a huge amount of genuine experience and knowledge and entertaining stories. I also firmly believe that no matter what is said in the heat of the moment, there is a deep element of professional respect for each other, even as your personalities clash. That's not true in the juvenile flame wars, with posters who often hide behind made-up screen names, and who have not the slightest fraction of true life experience and knowledge that you and your fellow senior combatants have.

You wouldn't believe how many people have told me these threads are the best ever on OnePocket.org -- because they are loaded with great stories and a lot of real rare insider hustler advice!

My advice is try not to let anything said here bother you too much -- if this was a real life discussion the underlying camaraderie would be much more obvious. I cannot wait to get you to the Derby City Classic, and I am definitely hoping to get Artie to make a return trip -- what do you say, Artie?

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Dick Mc Morran said:
What started out as "woofing" seemed to go downhill fast. It descended into name calling,

Sincerely

Dick Mc Morran

Steve is right, Dick. Think about it. That thread is, JUST LIKE BEING THERE, in the pool room 30 years ago. In the back of everyone's mind they are hoping the other guy will take just enough heat to get out of line and match up a bad game with you. If it happens here, who knows, that partners game at the 2009 DCC just might materialize. We who played under you guys sure hope so.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
hemicudas said:
\...That thread is, JUST LIKE BEING THERE,...

What Steve and Hemicudas just said. These threads have been giving us all a tremendous amount of insight into the game we all love and its history. Thanks to Artie and Dick and Freddy and Grady and everyone who is contributing.

jay helfert

Verified Member
It only got nasty when the topic of Al Sherman vs. Titanic Thompson came up. It's like comparing Greenleaf and Mosconi. You could discuss it forever and it would never be resolved.

All I know is that I was glad to avoid both Sherman and Ty. The only words Al ever said to me you "You have to bet $500 here." I left the Rack shortly after that. I knew I was out of my league in there, even though Red vouched for me and made me feel welcome.

And when I saw Ty in Johnston City, I didn't even know who he was. He looked like just another old man sweating the matches. He was pretty low key. Fats and Cokes had my attention. And Ronnie and Detroit Whitey and Cornbread and Puckett and Blackie and Danny D. and Marcel Camp and Danny Jones and Eddie Taylor and Harold Worst and Weenie Beenie and.......should I go on. Omaha Fats, The Goose, The Jockey, Jersey Red, Peter Rabbit, Harry Petros, Johnny Ervolino, Jimmy Moore, Snooker Sammy, Cosmo, etc. etc.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Coming Soon !

Coming Soon !

jay helfert said:
It only got nasty when the topic of Al Sherman vs. Titanic Thompson came up. It's like comparing Greenleaf and Mosconi. You could discuss it forever and it would never be resolved.

All I know is that I was glad to avoid both Sherman and Ty. The only words Al ever said to me you "You have to bet $500 here." I left the Rack shortly after that. I knew I was out of my league in there, even though Red vouched for me and made me feel welcome.

And when I saw Ty in Johnston City, I didn't even know who he was. He looked like just another old man sweating the matches. He was pretty low key. Fats and Cokes had my attention. And Ronnie and Detroit Whitey and Cornbread and Puckett and Blackie and Danny D. and Marcel Camp and Danny Jones and Eddie Taylor and Harold Worst and Weenie Beenie and.......should I go on. Omaha Fats, The Goose, The Jockey, Jersey Red, Peter Rabbit, Harry Petros, Johnny Ervolino, Jimmy Moore, Snooker Sammy, Cosmo, etc. etc.

Jay, have you ever heard Ronnie's version of how Norman (the Jockey) and Puckett became pool hustlers ? It's a riot.
We did some audio while he was here for the Desert Shoot-Out. As soon as I figure out how to post it, I will. It can't be put in print, all would be lost.

Dick

P.S. Comparing Al and Ti would be more like comparing Eminem with Frank Sinatra. They're both entertainer's right? IMO :)

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I cannot wait to get you to the Derby City Classic, and I am definitely hoping to get Artie to make a return trip -- what do you say, Artie?

Steve,

I can't wait until this year as well. I hope all these guys do show up. Any news on the room this year?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Deeman said:
Steve,

I can't wait until this year as well. I hope all these guys do show up. Any news on the room this year?
I'm working with Greg and the hotel now. There will definitely be a dinner.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i like watching all the growthcy old men grind out their arguments, i really do and i mean that with no disrespect to any of you's,:D keep it going i say.

respect

eric

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
hemicudas said:
Steve is right, Dick. Think about it. That thread is, JUST LIKE BEING THERE, in the pool room 30 years ago. In the back of everyone's mind they are hoping the other guy will take just enough heat to get out of line and match up a bad game with you. If it happens here, who knows, that partners game at the 2009 DCC just might materialize. We who played under you guys sure hope so.

i agree, its not watered down PC BS.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not-fulfilling

Not-fulfilling

I understand Dick's frustration with all this woofin. In the old days the final settlement of all this disagreement would be a match-up! In other areas or sports, when things got hot and heavy it might end up in a fist-fight, in pool the ultimate resolution was a pool contest! Cardone was another one with unbending arguments designed to drive you into a bad game. Cardone and I got into a pool argument in Derby City that got so heated, the management made us take it to the TV table so as to accommodate all the sweators with bleacher seats. Diana Hoppe even videotaped it. I won, when Varner and Buddy took my side and Efren agreed he should have taken the shot I suggested, but Cardone still won't admit it.

the Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
I understand Dick's frustration with all this woofin. In the old days the final settlement of all this disagreement would be a match-up! In other areas or sports, when things got hot and heavy it might end up in a fist-fight, in pool the ultimate resolution was a pool contest! Cardone was another one with unbending arguments designed to drive you into a bad game. Cardone and I got into a pool argument in Derby City that got so heated, the management made us take it to the TV table so as to accommodate all the sweators with bleacher seats. Diana Hoppe even videotaped it. I won, when Varner and Buddy took my side and Efren agreed he should have taken the shot I suggested, but Cardone still won't admit it.

the Beard

Fred,

We are on break you know....Do you want me to give you a "time out" and send you to stand in the corner ? ;)

Dick

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Dick Mc Morran said:
Jay, have you ever heard Ronnie's version of how Norman (the Jockey) and Puckett became pool hustlers ? It's a riot.
We did some audio while he was here for the Desert Shoot-Out. As soon as I figure out how to post it, I will. It can't be put in print, all would be lost.

Dick

P.S. Comparing Al and Ti would be more like comparing Eminem with Frank Sinatra. They're both entertainer's right? IMO :)
We can get together and I will get the audio up on the net for you Dick. ;)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
bank pool final game

bank pool final game

The score was Efren needed 2 balls. Whathisname needed 1 for the match, and the DCC bank pool title. Efren went for the straight back, stopped his cue ball, missed, hung the ball, and left Whatshisname a dead straight in, 2 in the corner free shot that would leave the cue ball frozen on the end rail. Whathisname shot it, left Efren 9ft away and frozen if he missed, he made it and won the match. Efren had missed a whole bunch of straight backs earlier and when I seen he was going to go for the shot (I was in the broadcast booth with Cardone) I advised against it. Cardone disagreed and said it was a perfect shot for him to go for. I wanted Efren to roll the bank, roll the cue ball to the rail, leave nothing, and be able to execute an easy safety. Then try to outmanage him from there. Leaving his opponent a perfect shot and safety if he missed would remove all pressure his opponent may have had for being in a championship match with an Efren Reyes.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ABSS3BSCj1PKBA@

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You won? bullshit

You won? bullshit

fred bentivegna said:

the Beard
Freddie ,to refreshen your memory,the debate was about a certain bank that Reyes chose to shoot in a hill hill match needing two balls to his opponents one.Varner said that the shot Reyes chose would of not been his choice,but there were three possible shots available. Your shot was clearly the worst choice which Varner agreed with. Reyes never was even asked, and if he was why would he say he shot the wrong shot? Artie was right,as I thought, you are the greatest story teller ever in life.But I still like ya.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wrong again

wrong again

fred bentivegna said:
The score was Efren needed 2 balls. Whathisname needed 1 for the match, and the DCC bank pool title. Efren went for the straight back, stopped his cue ball, missed, hung the ball, and left Whatshisname a dead straight in, 2 in the corner free shot that would leave the cue ball frozen on the end rail. Whathisname shot it, left Efren 9ft away and frozen if he missed, he made it and won the match. Efren had missed a whole bunch of straight backs earlier and when I seen he was going to go for the shot (I was in the broadcast booth with Cardone) I advised against it. Cardone disagreed and said it was a perfect shot for him to go for. I wanted Efren to roll the bank, roll the cue ball to the rail, leave nothing, and be able to execute an easy safety. Then try to outmanage him from there. Leaving his opponent a perfect shot and safety if he missed would remove all pressure his opponent may have had for being in a championship match with an Efren Reyes.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ABSS3BSCj1PKBA@
Your shot was not to roll the ball in the same pocket Reyes shot it to,your shot was to bank it straight back to your left with less of a chance to make the ball and no chance of winning. You have taken the Chicago squeeze to the next level,if there is such a thing. Varner also is ultra conservative,once before I debated Varner on a bank Joyner shot which was also clearrrrrrrrly the right shot which he and Diliberto thought differently.Ican prove it mathimatically that it was clearrrrrly the correct shot. Freddie,we have over agressive players,agressive players,under agressive players,and then we have you. But I still like ya.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
set it up

set it up

gulfportdoc said:
Well, now we gots to know. What was the layout and shot???:confused:

Doc
Doc,if you can get Freddie to set it up you will then see why his shot was clearrrrly the worst choice of the three. Joey Gold came up with the third option which (after I thought about it) was the right choice. And that was to shoot ithe ball in that was lying in front of the corner pocket and reposition the cue ball up table leaving two balls on the foot spot with nothing for his opponent to shoot,and a tough safety.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Too Funny

Too Funny

Hey Dick............I'm laughing my a$$ off at the irony here.....All of this is being posted on your: "C'mon guys, let's take a break from arguing" thread.......:rolleyes: :( :D :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Dick............I'm laughing my a$$ off at the irony here.....All of this is being posted on your: "C'mon guys, let's take a break from arguing" thread.......:rolleyes: :( :D :D

I know, Hijack in progress. :eek: