Shot Opinions - right, wrong, too aggressive?

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
wincardona said:
Doc's right imo about inside english being wrong exactly for the reasons he mentions, plus if inside english is used and you miss the ball you could leave a return bank combo on the 2 ball.:eek: You need all the balls so you need to play to put yourself IN A BETTER POSITION TO WIN. For instance, what's wrong with using a half of tip of left english and playing position to pocket the 6 ball and leave your opponent behind the 3 ball and 7 ball? He then must come off of the 3 or 7 and give you an option to either pocket another ball or possibly play a bank. Now you're improving your position.:cool: Also by doing this you're putting more pressure on your opponent, and sending him a message that you're a threat to win.;)

Billy I.

I dont understand shooting the 6 in. Lets see, you leave the Q behind the 3/7 so opponent can shoot the 3-7 combo, leaving the 7 close to the hole and now hiding the Q behind the 3. Now instead of just the 2 ball, you have to worry about the 2,7, and spotted 6. No thanks.

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
@JT - the position of the balls in the actual match were not exact as shown. the 3-7 combo wasn't on, but they were close to each other. I just quickly dropped them on the CT layout. the 9, 2 and CB are what i paid the most attention to.

but, it's still a valid point - what's the return to pocketing the 6? then the return to that return?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
stljohnny said:
@JT - the position of the balls in the actual match were not exact as shown. the 3-7 combo wasn't on, but they were close to each other. I just quickly dropped them on the CT layout. the 9, 2 and CB are what i paid the most attention to.

but, it's still a valid point - what's the return to pocketing the 6? then the return to that return?

If you pocket the 6 ball and freeze your cue ball to the 3/7 then the guy is in a funny spot and will open up the 3/7 to your favor while possible leaving you a shot/move on the 6 ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
stljohnny said:
Ahhh, I see. I must have misread your original post. I will have to try the shot and see how reliably I can pocket the 9 and leave myself a good angle on the 6 to the hide the CB there. :)
Typical. Doc comes up with the right shot, but Cardone gets all the kudos.:rolleyes: But Johnny, it's good to see another Virgo on the forum. Androd and I have tried to keep everyone straightened out, but it's always nice to have more help...:D

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Excuse me fella's...but while y'all are trying to figure out the right way to shoot the 9ball, please step aside and let me on the table..so's I can kick-slice that lil' ol' 2ball in and run out...:eek:...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, I keep telling you guys...ya got to remember to look at all the possible shots on the table...:) >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1BPph3COye3FOrP3GOBO3ISgS3PMMa1VPph2Vcho3WOye3WIWA3bOBO3bLwB3kMMa1kcoM1kRdi1kRUo3kbvx3kPwV3kSJl@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Excuse me fella's...but while y'all are trying to figure out the right way to shoot the 9ball, please step aside and let me on the table..so's I can kick-slice that lil' ol' 2ball in and run out...:
- Ghost

PS, I keep telling you guys...ya got to remember to look at all the possible shots on the table...:) >>>

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1BPph3COye3FOrP3GOBO3ISgS3PMMa1VPph2Vcho3WOye3WIWA3bOBO3bLwB3kMMa1kcoM1kRdi1kRUo3kbvx3kPwV3kSJl@[/CUETABLE]
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: If we ever play I know not to leave you this shot. Thanks.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
jtompilot said:
I dont understand shooting the 6 in. Lets see, you leave the Q behind the 3/7 so opponent can shoot the 3-7 combo, leaving the 7 close to the hole and now hiding the Q behind the 3. Now instead of just the 2 ball, you have to worry about the 2,7, and spotted 6. No thanks.

After pocketing the 9 ball you will have the option to either pocket the 6 ball, open up the 3 and 7 ball, or move the 2 ball. If you like the angle offered on the 6 ball, then you can lock your opponent up behind the 3 and 7 ball.:D Do you really think anyone would pocket the 6 ball and leave a good combo for his opponent? :confused:

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
He does not need all of the balls. If he's going to 8 he needs 4 and if he's going to 7 he needs 4.

Inside english is no tougher to use than outside.

If you want to "send a message", use Western Union:) .

You can ALWAYS lose by missing the 9 ball:D .

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@1BQWi3COJf3FOKO3GMuP3IRqK3PKIb3dRqK2dbBj2dXIh2dVUB3kKIb3kRBa3kayw4kbyD4kGie2qYeYMy_Pocket:&ZZ1rUtcOpponent_Needs_1:&ZZ2uCET@1BQWi3COJf3FOKO3GMuP2IVUB4PGie2qYeYMy_Pocket:&ZZ1rUtcOpponent_Needs_1:&ZZ2uCET@1BQWi3COJf3FOKO3GMuP2IVUB4PGie3WOJf3WTIi3Wasx1Wchv3bMuP3babC1bchv1bciF4kGie3kKRN2qYeYMy_Pocket:&ZZ1rUtcOpponent_Needs_1:&ZZ4sJEUIT'S_A_HANGER&ZZ2uCET@[/CUETABLE]
My bad, I didn't think the 7 ball was on.:eek: If I would of noticed that I would of broken it up instead of shooting the 9 ball. Dennis, do you like my shot if the 7 ball wasn't on?:D Just trying to illustrate some common sense one pocket. I'll be more observant from now on.:eek:

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
My bad, I didn't think the 7 ball was on.:eek: If I would of noticed that I would of broken it up instead of shooting the 9 ball. Dennis, do you like my shot if the 7 ball wasn't on?:D Just trying to illustrate some common sense one pocket. I'll be more observant from now on.:eek:
Billy, are you referring to the 3-7 combination? It's NOT on. Did someone say it was on?

Doc

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
gulfportdoc said:
Typical. Doc comes up with the right shot, but Cardone gets all the kudos.:rolleyes: But Johnny, it's good to see another Virgo on the forum. Androd and I have tried to keep everyone straightened out, but it's always nice to have more help...:D

Doc

HA! Sorry Doc. I can't keep track of all the names of all the legends here. :eek: You shouldn't take it as Billy getting the kudos; you should read this as he's following your lead and since he was a little quicker on the next reply he then became the middle man in the shot explanation. :D

From what I've read around here, I'm not sure there's ever going to be enough of us virgos. lol

u12armresl

Verified Member
Its for sure not on and at least 1 to 1 1/2 diamonds off, maybe they are talking about lagging it close up.

gulfportdoc said:
Billy, are you referring to the 3-7 combination? It's NOT on. Did someone say it was on?

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ng

Ng

Cutting the ball in with inside english and following forward up the table is a stiff. It is only good if you make the 9. All other scenarios are bad. Needing only one ball, your oppo will kick at his money ball at a minimum, even if you hang the 9. If you dont hang the 9 and leave a make-able bank that is just as bad because you figure to lose on the next shot. Also if he leaves the 9 in such a way as the bank has a kiss and doesnt go, the kick is still the shot, and there is little downside to shooting it. As long as you figure to lose if you miss the shot, you might as well try to improve your position with the "cubbed" balls.

Beard

As I promised this post is dedicated to Mr Armwrestle.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
PPS, By the way, in my post #25 where I spoke of kicking the 2ball, my tone was somewhat joking, but tell you what...that kick is a viable option here - with the 2 being in optimum position, just a bit off the rail, and you remove his threat-ball with the shot......Hey Freddy, you're someone who knows the value of a strong kick or carom in appropriate situations - what do you think of this kick option here?

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Maybe...

Maybe...

One Pocket Ghost said:
PPS, By the way, in my post #25 where I spoke of kicking the 2ball, my tone was somewhat joking, but tell you what...that kick is a viable option here - with the 2 being in optimum position, just a bit off the rail, and you remove his threat-ball with the shot......Hey Freddy, you're someone who knows the value of a strong kick or carom in appropriate situations - what do you think of this kick option here?

- Ghost

It is certainly something to think about.

Beard

Would you hesitate to kick at the out ball from the position that I knocked in my previous post?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
It is certainly something to think about.

Beard

Would you hesitate to kick at the out ball from the position that I knocked in my previous post?

No, I would not hesitate.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
fred bentivegna said:
Cutting the ball in with inside english and following forward up the table is a stiff. It is only good if you make the 9. All other scenarios are bad. Needing only one ball, your oppo will kick at his money ball at a minimum, even if you hang the 9. If you dont hang the 9 and leave a make-able bank that is just as bad because you figure to lose on the next shot. Also if he leaves the 9 in such a way as the bank has a kiss and doesnt go, the kick is still the shot, and there is little downside to shooting it. As long as you figure to lose if you miss the shot, you might as well try to improve your position with the "cubbed" balls.

Beard

As I promised this post is dedicated to Mr Armwrestle.

You're right. There's no reason to load this up with inside. The only purpose would be to try to get position on the two ball but to get a decent shot on the two you will need to get pretty far up where you'll be flirting with a scratch.

The further you get with the q the better kick you leave for his game winner. I would shoot the shot on the nine like Billy I. says with a little outside and then just remove the two to the area of the other balls and leave the cue ball near his pocket. I would be careful of doing something with the six ball because even though the seven is not on it can be thrown a bit to maybe go in or get close enough to put you on the defense. Now he'll have two balls over there, the two and the seven.

It's nice to be able to develop the balls that are uptable for an advantage but I think removing the two ball and waiting would be my first option after pocketing the nine.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
No I wasn't referring to the 3-7 combo, what I was doing was joking with The Cowboy about his reference to my choice about playing the 9 ball the way I suggested. If you look at post #20, and go to the third option on the table you will understand what I wrote, and why.:D

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
No I wasn't referring to the 3-7 combo, what I was doing was joking with The Cowboy about his reference to my choice about playing the 9 ball the way I suggested. If you look at post #20, and go to the third option on the table you will understand what I wrote, and why.:D

Billy I.
Bill, I'm fairly certain that Doc knows that and is f@@king with you (and me by extension):D

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cardone said:
No I wasn't referring to the 3-7 combo, what I was doing was joking with The Cowboy about his reference to my choice about playing the 9 ball the way I suggested. If you look at post #20, and go to the third option on the table you will understand what I wrote, and why.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill, I'm fairly certain that Doc knows that and is f@@king with you (and me by extension):D
You guys are too obscure for me...:p

Doc