another nevel/owen

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Two rail take out on the stripe (Long rail, short rail) using the solid and following the cue ball down to the end rail.

You will still probably leave some kind of bank, but you are in a tough spot here.

Cannot believe you are calling this a 'tough spot' John ?..Gabe has about 4 different ways to get safe, and all but one ball is uptable !..Just make sure you get a rail, after you kick the stripe away from Nevel's hole, thats about the only thing that could possibly go wrong ! (unless you mis-cue:eek:)..Personally, I like banking the 6 ball up table, toward the cluster, and following down to the bottom rail, near his hole...Plenty of room NOT to scratch !

Given the score, I would love to be in this 'spot' every game I ever played !..I will win 49 out of 50 of them..So will you !.. I cannot understand all the agonizing over this shot ?..It appears to be one of the easiest WWYD's I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

PS..Yes Rod, I see your point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't over half the responders shooting at either the wrong hole, or the wrong end of the table...OR BOTH ? :confused:

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Cannot believe you are calling this a 'tough spot' John ?..Gabe has about 4 different ways to get safe, and all but one ball is uptable !..Just make sure you get a rail, after you kick the stripe away from Nevel's hole, thats about the only thing that could possibly go wrong ! (unless you mis-cue:eek:)..Personally, I like banking the 6 ball up table, and following down to the bottom rail, near his hole...Plenty of room NOT to scratch !

Given the score, I would love to be in this 'spot' every game I ever played !..I will win 49 out of 50 of them..So will you !.. I cannot understand all the agonizing over this shot ?..It appears to be one of the easiest WWYD's I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

PS..Yes Rod, I see your point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't over half the responders shooting at either the wrong hole, or the wrong end of the table...OR BOTH ? :confused:

I think it is tough not to leave some type of bank or something for Nevel to fire at. My shot has a good chance to clear both balls and make him come with something long. If you don't hide the cue ball while banking the six uptable, you are leaving a high percentage straight in long rail bank with automatic position.

Of course this all goes out the window if I am stuck enough.:lol

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
What bank on the 6 ball is everyone talking about, am I looking at the wrong layout, wrong end or what ? :confused:
Rod.

They are talking about stiffing the 6 ball straight back. It looks like that stripe is in the way but may be able to shorten it up.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Straight back to where, the pocket is on the other end of the table. Down by the spot. :frus
Rod.

They're talking about NOW, Rod. After Gabe kicks away the stripe that now there's a bank if you can hold it up a bit, which I think you can. Does Larry remember if Nevil goes for it???. I like JTom and SuperDucks shot just as good as mine, or maybe better. I just wanted to diagram something...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They're talking about NOW, Rod. After Gabe kicks away the stripe that now there's a bank if you can hold it up a bit, which I think you can. Does Larry remember if Nevil goes for it???. I like JTom and SuperDucks shot just as good as mine, or maybe better. I just wanted to diagram something...

Thanx,
In the immortal words of "Rosanna Rosanadana"
Never mind.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

jimmy i dont remember if nevel went for it......:sorry
BUT i did go back and look at the dvd.....:heh
he went for it but hit the stripe
the stripe went to the side rail and bounced out you can tell that from how he left it for gabe
(my arrows are sloppy.....:eek:)
gabe3.jpg

gabe4.jpg

Jimmy B

Verified Member
OK. Larry thank you very much. Nevel hung out in a room about 30 min from me in that little Easley town at Rainbow Billiards.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
OK. Larry thank you very much. Nevel hung out in a room about 30 min from me in that little Easley town at Rainbow Billiards.

jimmy
you are welcome
btw
i appreciate you wanted us to go out on a double date in the members section
but the girls werent my type
:D
p.s.
i knew you were kidding...:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
the stripe went to the side rail and bounced out you can tell that from how he left it for gabe
That was an interesting way Nevel shot that straight-back. He was probably trying to get shape on another long bank, had he made it. But I'm doubtful that the shot can be made with draw because it would tend to put topspin on the OB; although perhaps it would be possible with low left.

I believe Brumback shoots that shot with center ball, and pops it. On a Diamond the shot should go. Hopefully John will chime in here.

~Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
View attachment 10291

View attachment 10292
I really don't no Gab. But I have seen him play. All I can say that man can play. He is the real deal. I remember when Scott Frost and Gab came to Las Vegas. And they were both playing Toby at the cue club. Toby was spotting both players 9 to 7 or 8 to 7 and Toby was playing top one pocket. Toby at that time was playing everyone. Billy Incardona Jack Cooney Allen Hopkins Cliff Joyner Efren Rays.Toby played everybody. And he played banks with Shannon Daulton When he was in the top of his game. And he played other great bank pool players. At that time I would say he was the best one handed player in the country. And he beat Ronnie Allen Playing golf on the snooker table. But Ronnie game was not his a game any more. I played Toby 3 coushion billiards 25 points I spotted him 3 on 25 points.I one the first game and the second game I needed 2 points and Toby needed 7 points, Toby ran 7 and out. And I said I will play you even I am not spotting you. And we are good friends. Playing one pocket Toby ran 11 balls and out one handed. Witch I have never seen anyone ever do before. I told Toby don't worry about pool. You have two great sons at home who need you.Your family is more important then a pool game. And Toby sold his end of the pool room and quite pool completley And started spending all his time at home Loving caring for his wife and children.. I didn't think he could do it. But I am really proud of him.He was a very talented player He was a good Golfer and He was a Champion at wrestling at the university of Oklahoma. And playing one pocket he had the ability and heart to be number one. In the long run he made the best choice. And being a pool player or hustler. Is not very good for Marriage or Family. To be on top it takes all your time and energy for the game. And to be committed to pool.Is too big price to pay. And you end up with a broken heart no money and all alone. Pool is great life is better. If we live it.

John Brumback

Verified Member
That was an interesting way Nevel shot that straight-back. He was probably trying to get shape on another long bank, had he made it. But I'm doubtful that the shot can be made with draw because it would tend to put topspin on the OB; although perhaps it would be possible with low left.

I believe Brumback shoots that shot with center ball, and pops it. On a Diamond the shot should go. Hopefully John will chime in here.

~Doc

If I had to shoot that bank I would hit it with a 1/2 to a 1/4 tip of left center and stun the cball and put some speed behind to get it to shorten up. I do not think I could make it with any other kind of english. Draw is a no go on that shot. Like you said Doc... draw will make the oball go long which would be what you are trying to avoid. JB

PS: Even I would not shoot that bank:p Well maybe If i was playin banks I would:D

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
... draw will make the oball go long
Does draw (or follow) on the CB really have much effect on bank angles, especially when either of these is true?

- the OB would be rolling anyway when it hit the rail
- the bank angle is steep

pj <- questioning the President of the Bank :eek:
chgo

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Does draw (or follow) on the CB really have much effect on bank angles, especially when either of these is true?

- the OB would be rolling anyway when it hit the rail
- the bank angle is steep

pj <- questioning the President of the Bank :eek:
chgo

To answer your own question PJ,..rack all 15 balls on the spot, then shooting from behind the kitchen string, (anywhere you want to place the cue ball) try and shoot the cue ball, 3 rails around the rack, without disturbing it...You will find it impossible to do, using high, or even center cue ball !

However using low (draw) english, you can place the cue ball anywhere from 0" to 20" from the side rail. and you can do it with ease, every time..That is of course, an extreme demonstration, as you can't transfer that much english to an object ball..But the principles are the same, with regards to the first rail effect. :rolleyes:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
To answer your own question PJ,..rack all 15 balls on the spot, then shooting from behind the kitchen string, (anywhere you want to place the cue ball) try and shoot the cue ball, 3 rails around the rack, without disturbing it...You will find it impossible to do, using high, or even center cue ball !

However using low (draw) english, you can place the cue ball anywhere from 0" to 20" from the side rail. and you can do it with ease, every time..That is of course, an extreme demonstration, as you can't transfer that much english to an object ball..But the principles are the same, with regards to the first rail effect. :rolleyes:

Hey. That reminds me of one of my old prop bets. You have to go inside the two balls frozen on the center diamonds without touching them. I use to miss this a few times until I could get somebody to ask me what I was doing. Then I would let them try it a few times. Use maximum center draw. I'm sure it was easy for SuperDuck, but I missed it a couple of times, even when trying. I liked to get two tries, and be careful using house cues with bad tips..