Shot selection threads

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Allow me to make a suggestion for anyone posting "shot selection threads."

In the past the shot selection threads usually ended up in a heated debate with which shot was the best shot and which shot was "a stinkin shot" When this happens all we are doing is undermining the the instructional value with the shot choice. Shot choice threads will run much more smoothly, and offer more instructional value if the shot that is debated would be only up for debate for no longer than a day. We would then have less confrontations, and more harmony, resulting in a better and more healthy learning experience.

I understand that at times the member that post these type of threads, have time constraints, which could preclude them from moving more swiftly with the shot the player chose. However, if at all possible I believe it would be a welcomed and well appreciated gesture if it was possible.:):)

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
absolutely...

absolutely...

....the way to go.Seeing as one mans floor is another mans ceiling,there's no right or wrong,just what works for one's stroke and mind.Can't have too many options which is what were alooking fer......thanks Doc,cheers,James

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Allow me to make a suggestion for anyone posting "shot selection threads."

In the past the shot selection threads usually ended up in a heated debate with which shot was the best shot and which shot was "a stinkin shot" When this happens all we are doing is undermining the the instructional value with the shot choice. Shot choice threads will run much more smoothly, and offer more instructional value if the shot that is debated would be only up for debate for no longer than a day. We would then have less confrontations, and more harmony, resulting in a better and more healthy learning experience.

I understand that at times the member that post these type of threads, have time constraints, which could preclude them from moving more swiftly with the shot the player chose. However, if at all possible I believe it would be a welcomed and well appreciated gesture if it was possible.:):)

Dr. Bill

I totally disagree...

It's absolutely ridiculous, not to mention communist :eek: to think of putting/enforcing a 1 day time limit on shot choice threads..:rolleyes:...many guys don't come on here every day and don't see the thread till the 2nd or 3rd day...and also, guys often change their mind about their choice after studying the layout for another time or two...

...what next for this tighter, stricter rules type of thinking? - maybe we should ban the pool player books/memoirs from being sold on this site, because they might say inflammatory/controversial things about other players in the book..:rolleyes:...

Yes, guys should be more civil to each other when disagreeing about shot choices, etc...but it's not the length of time that a thread is up that causes nastiness - it's the decision by an individual to step over the line that causes it...

...we're grown men here (and women - hi Clare and Fanny :)), not schoolchildren - we don't need a police-state time limit...all we need is for guys to tone down the nasty-sarcastic disagreeing, and keep it to friendly kidding.

- Ghost

PS, Any other Libertarians on here?...:cool:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I totally disagree...

It's absolutely ridiculous, not to mention communist :eek: to think of putting/enforcing a 1 day time limit on shot choice threads..:rolleyes:...many guys don't come on here every day and don't see the thread till the 2nd or 3rd day...and also, guys often change their mind about their choice, after studying the layout for another time or two...

...what next for this tighter, stricter rules type of thinking? - maybe we should ban the pool player books/memoirs from being sold on this site, because they might say inflammatory/controversial things about other players in the book..:rolleyes:...

Yes, guys should be more civil to each other when disagreeing about shot choices, etc...but it's not the length of time that a post is up that causes nastiness - it's the decision by an individual to step over the line that causes it...

...we're grown men here (and women - hi Clare and Fanny :)), not schoolchildren - we don't need a police-state time limit...all we need is for guys to tone down the nasty-sarcastic disagreeing, and keep it to friendly kidding.

- Ghost

^^^^ agree

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to get everyone up to speed on diagramming their shots (in place of the verbiage). And i an NOT talking wei-table, I am speaking of jpegs in a photo editor, which you probably have if you have a running computer. Then, they could explain the "why" with text. This would do a world of good for the potential newbs and novices. Although we may not notice it, a lot of the words we use are quite esoteric.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Sometimes I wonder how hard it would be to get everyone up to speed on diagramming their shots (in place of the verbiage). Then, they could explain the "why" with text. This would do a world of good for the potential newbs and novices. Although we may not notice it, a lot of the words we use are quite esoteric.

Great idea.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I totally disagree...

It's absolutely ridiculous, not to mention communist :eek: to think of putting/enforcing a 1 day time limit on shot choice threads..:rolleyes:...many guys don't come on here every day and don't see the thread till the 2nd or 3rd day...and also, guys often change their mind about their choice after studying the layout for another time or two...

Yes, guys should be more civil to each other when disagreeing about shot choices, etc...but it's not the length of time that a thread is up that causes nastiness - it's the decision by an individual to step over the line that causes it...

- Ghost

Ghost, there's no reason to get bent out of shape simply because I suggested a more efficient way to debate shot choices. Lets take the shot that gulfportdoc posted on the Crane/Mathews match, at 8:24am. And at 7:10pm. he showed Cranes shot choice. That seemed to run smoothly with no problems. There's ample time for players to critique a shot in a 24hr period. A reasonable compromise would be 36hrs. Lets keep this in perspective...we're only talking about a shot, not a game or a match, just a shot. Also when there's 3 and 4 days between shots Imo there's too much time to squabble, and that often ends up with hijacking threads and heated debates. Members can always learn things with a more efficient way of debating shot choices, because there will be many more problems solved, in less time. There have been times when shots were posted and we as members never seen the shot that was chosen by the shooter. Maybe i'm wrong about a more fluid way of debating and learning, but it's certainly worth a thought.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't think 24 hours is enough, especially for a really good example, with multiple good choices. 36 hours would be better - 48 hours, better yet. Nothing wrong with a time limit, but be reasonable. And what happens then? Would it be deleted and gone forever, or still there to view for a few more days?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I don't think 24 hours is enough, especially for a really good example, with multiple good choices. 36 hours would be better - 48 hours, better yet. Nothing wrong with a time limit, but be reasonable. And what happens then? Would it be deleted and gone forever, or still there to view for a few more days?

The time limit will speed up the learning process, and cut down on the constant bickering and arguments. In reference to what happens to the shot choice once it's been decided is the same that normally happens, it's always there in the thread. For the members that missed the shot, or didn't even see the situation, they will be able to scroll through shot choice threads and learn without ever participating. Then after a member is educated, and their interest rises, they will be more interested in participating. I think when we join a shot choice thread we will get what we want...a learning experience, as opposed to a grab bag of unrelated stuff.

A quicker transaction will almost always lend to a more effecient and healthy way of learning, in just about everything we do. No time for horse play.

Thanks for responding, Bill.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost, there's no reason to get bent out of shape

Dr. Bill

I'm not bent out of shape...I'm just not shy about stating my opinion when I feel strongly about something...without ever getting mean or nasty about it of course...:) :)

- Ghost

PS, The only times I've ever got bent out of shape, was from maneuvering, when I had two girls in my bed at the same time...:eek:...:heh

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Okay, one more thing. Can the thread stay out there for viewing, but not accepting any more posts? Can CaliRed arrange that?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm not bent out of shape...I'm just not shy about stating my opinion when I feel strongly about something...without ever getting mean or nasty about it of course...:) :)
- Ghost

PS, The only times I've ever got bent out of shape, was from maneuvering, when I had two girls in my bed at the same time...:eek:...:heh

So what you're saying is...You have unconditionally, positively and honestly, NEVER, in your life...Gotten BENT OUT OF SHAPE ?:rolleyes:

OK..I can sure buy that ! :p :p :p (some of us, have lost count, but I can sure remember the threesomes)..:D

Last edited:

backplaying

Verified Member
I totally disagree...

- Ghost

Makes to much since to me!

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Okay, one more thing. Can the thread stay out there for viewing, but not accepting any more posts? Can CaliRed arrange that?

Bill, I don't understand why you would prefer a thread that is open for viewing, but closed for further posting? Once the shot is put up for discussion and debated in an intelligent manner, we will then either go on to the next shot (if the original poster chooses) or close the discussion on the shot. There will be times when discussing the option that the shooter has chosen as possibly a good or poor option for ourselves, or a better option for certain type of players. That is always a good thing to know (and understand)for all levels of players , particularly the players that are not as familiar with the game of one pocket. If this more efficient way of discussing shot choices is adopted I believe it will result in a better way to learn (for everyone) with less reasons for players to digress. ...Just move on.... will always be the best way to avoid confrontations and stay away from trouble. The Ghost says that we shouldn't have to have time constraints put on us when discussing shot choices. He says that we should all just act in a civil way and go on, well he's right, but much easier to say than to do. Once players have the understanding of the better and more efficient way shot choice options are to be discussed, then their tolerance level will rise and it will be a given to ...just move on...

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think that there have been some good suggestions concerning shot layout threads. I don't think there should be an hour time limit on the threads. Who's going to enforce that, anyhow? But it seems to me that oftentimes the threads have gone on and on way too long without the "solution" being shown. That circumstance has tended to promote silly sidetracks and/or frustration.

Of course some layouts do require lengthy discussion and opinion, which is why most of us are here. On the other hand the Crane/Mathews example was not all that absorbing. Most of us would take one of the 5 or so choices presented by that particular ball layout. But Crane decided to shoot a tricky opposite handed shot that took skill and guts, which allowed him to win the game. So that thread was one that could wind down more quickly than one that was more complex.

And of course there's no reason why discussion can't continue on even after the shooter's solution is shown. Oftentimes posters have come up with better selections than has the actual shooter.:cool:

What I would like to see is more guys posting layouts. One can't expect only 1 or 2 or 3 guys to provide examples for the entire site! The Greenshot feature that CaliRed has shown us is not difficult to use, with a minimum amount of investigation. Steve has even posted a "sticky" thread about how to acquire and use the tool. But it does take a few minutes of time to select a situation, then prepare it for posting. So how about we get a few more guys to step up to the plate?

If posters don't happen to own any recorded matches, there are several places online to watch recorded one-pocket matches. Lenny's site has oodles of them, and I'm sure he has no objection to examples being taken from his library. Maybe guys could list other sites which have matches profiled.

I think it's one of the best features of the site, so hopefully we'll continue to get more participation on the selection end. After all, one doesn't have a right to bitch if one doesn't help out!

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think that there have been some good suggestions concerning shot layout threads. I don't think there should be an hour time limit on the threads. Who's going to enforce that, anyhow? But it seems to me that oftentimes the threads have gone on and on way too long without the "solution" being shown. That circumstance has tended to promote silly sidetracks and/or frustration.

Of course some layouts do require lengthy discussion and opinion, which is why most of us are here. On the other hand the Crane/Mathews example was not all that absorbing. Most of us would take one of the 5 or so choices presented by that particular ball layout. But Crane decided to shoot a tricky opposite handed shot that took skill and guts, which allowed him to win the game. So that thread was one that could wind down more quickly than one that was more complex.

And of course there's no reason why discussion can't continue on even after the shooter's solution is shown. Oftentimes posters have come up with better selections than has the actual shooter.:cool:

What I would like to see is more guys posting layouts. One can't expect only 1 or 2 or 3 guys to provide examples for the entire site! The Greenshot feature that CaliRed has shown us is not difficult to use, with a minimum amount of investigation. Steve has even posted a "sticky" thread about how to acquire and use the tool. But it does take a few minutes of time to select a situation, then prepare it for posting. So how about we get a few more guys to step up to the plate?

If posters don't happen to own any recorded matches, there are several places online to watch recorded one-pocket matches. Lenny's site has oodles of them, and I'm sure he has no objection to examples being taken from his library. Maybe guys could list other sites which have matches profiled.

I think it's one of the best features of the site, so hopefully we'll continue to get more participation on the selection end. After all, one doesn't have a right to bitch if one doesn't help out!

Doc

You talkin to me?
You talkin to me?

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
This isn't directed at anybody in particular, more like at all of us. I think the solution, if there is one, lies in posters being better about getting their point across (which they are already good at), and then leaving it at that. Once your shot, and a little backup on why you'd shoot it is stated, there is no reason to rehash all that stuff.

In short, say what you have to say, and try to leave it at that. And yes, I know easier said than done.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I certainly dont feel there should be any time limit, after all this is america. Bill you have been one of the biggest offenders of prolonging threads in the past. If you just imposed a 24 hour limit on yourself the threads would move along alot quicker. keith