New guy here

desertshark

Didn't know if an intro was the norm, but here it is.

I'm on AZB by the same name and have been playing pool most of my life starting on a barbox at 6. I got better by my mid teens and graduated from a banger to player. I paid rent for awhile playing 9-ball in my early 20's (thank goodness rent was cheap) and then i quit altogether when my son was a baby.

Now in mid 30's I've picked it back up. I play APA 8&9 ball 3 times a week and up until last Sunday I knew there were other games out there but hadn't really played. I tested my runs in 14.1, played some 10 ball but found my best game was 9 ball.

Then I talked to a man on my Thursday night 8-ball team that changed me. We ended up playing 1-pocket. Not only am I hooked on the length of the game, but the strategy and safeties changed my play in my other games.

I'm still learning, but I have found a game now that I would love to play who ever I can at. This is what I feel pool needs is a strategy game for real players, not a fast paced ball slamming game.

Anyway that's me in a condensed version.

Look forward to learning more and playing more!

Regards,
Jake

tylerdurden

Verified Member

I'm on AZB by the same name and have been playing pool most of my life starting on a barbox at 6. I got better by my mid teens and graduated from a banger to player. I paid rent for awhile playing 9-ball in my early 20's (thank goodness rent was cheap) and then i quit altogether when my son was a baby.

Now in mid 30's I've picked it back up. I play APA 8&9 ball 3 times a week and up until last Sunday I knew there were other games out there but hadn't really played. I tested my runs in 14.1, played some 10 ball but found my best game was 9 ball.

Then I talked to a man on my Thursday night 8-ball team that changed me. We ended up playing 1-pocket. Not only am I hooked on the length of the game, but the strategy and safeties changed my play in my other games.

I'm still learning, but I have found a game now that I would love to play who ever I can at. This is what I feel pool needs is a strategy game for real players, not a fast paced ball slamming game.

Anyway that's me in a condensed version.

Look forward to learning more and playing more!

Regards,
Jake

Welcome Jake.

You certainly have come to the right spot if you are hooked on one pocket.

I must say, I feel like I also have the "curse" of 9ball being my best game, and am looking to change that one day..... hopefully.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hi jake
im bbb on azb
welcome aboard
glad you decided to come over from the "dark side" ....:D

desertshark

hi jake
im bbb on azb
welcome aboard
glad you decided to come over from the "dark side" ....:D

You're the reason I'm here and it took me so long to register, your AZB name wasn't showing lol!

Hey Tyler thanks for the welcome. As I learn more and play more, I'll be asking more questions.

Be prepared for rookie questions! Lol

desertshark

Hey Steve thanks for the info! I have been looking around the site and find so much here! It's great!

I'll read it!

Thanks again!

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I'm on AZB by the same name and have been playing pool most of my life

Welcome Jake and make sure to visit all of the different forums here. In the members cafe you can put up pictures and videos and talk about other things. I like to listen to music vids that have been put up while I read any new posts. You won't generally get as much feedback or responses here as az, but do not be discouraged by anything or anybody negative. lata...

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
welcome new guy

welcome new guy

Great to have more and your input. But remember...
Keep it nice. Alfie

beatle

Verified Member
good to see you here jake. this site has some of the best onepocket players that have ever lived on it. for the life of me i dont know why but they are here. and some of the highest stakes gamblers also are here. you can learn alot if you ask the right questions.

desertshark

Great to have more and your input. But remember...
Keep it nice. Alfie

I'll be on my best behavior here Worked, promise!

Beatle, I'm gonna ask questions once I figure out more of what I'm doing.

I read the link posted earlier and I can relate. Some info made a lot of sense.

Good learning opportunity on this site!

backplaying

Verified Member
Like you, haven't been playing long but found this is one game you can learn more from watching great players on dvd matches than anyother game. I would get matches with Efren, Shannon, Cliff, JJ and the other top players and watch them for hours and you will see a fast improvement.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Jake, glad to have you onboard for a game you will fall in love with, as everyone here has said, be sure to look in all the rooms and watch the videos that are offered.---Smitty

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Jake....Run away. Take up darts, golf or roller skating. Once you cross the "Rubicon" (One Pocket)....you can never go back. It is like loosing your virginity. If you don't take up "One Pocket" pool will still be "fun to play". Years from now when you wake up in the middle of the night in a "cold sweat" because you had a "dream" about a new "move" and have to find a table to see it's application. You will remember "THIS" message and say to yourself "AHHH, I should have listened to him". If you choose not to listen to me...."WELCOME, to the DARK SIDE".....

desertshark

I've noticed this site is more relaxed. I don't feel like there a thousand posts per minute, almost like one pocket versus 9-ball in terms of a strategic thought process versus a quick match ;)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
jake although i think it is important to find equipment that feel good to you
remember its the indian not the arrow:eek:

dan janes of joss cue many years ago had pros play with cues even their own cue in some cases where identifying marks were covered and the majority were unable to tell if a joint was steel or ivory

some claim flat faced vs steel piloted vs wood to wood vs ivory joints have different "feel"
try them out /if one feel better to you great
same with tips
if you find a certain type of tip that seems to make you control the cue ball better stick with it

if you look across history i am sure you will find an example of great one pocket players that have used one of the above joints
for example shannon daulton uses an ivory flat faced gilbert cue
alex uses an OB 3/8-10 pin wood to wood flat faced jointed cue
many champions used pilted steel jointed cues from various makers

as for tips
i used triangles for awhile and liked them
switched to kamui for no good reason
the soft used to mushroom alot on me although others dont find that problem
i use a medium now and it works fine for me
subjectively i did think i could draw alittle better with the soft tip
but i still think i need to work on my stroke and not blame the tip:D

in summary
experimentation is good to find out what you like
but its the indian not the arrow most of the time:D
although a better arrow cant hurt;)

desertshark

jake although i think it is important to find equipment that feel good to you
remember its the indian not the arrow:eek:

dan janes of joss cue many years ago had pros play with cues even their own cue in some cases where identifying marks were covered and the majority were unable to tell if a joint was steel or ivory

some claim flat faced vs steel piloted vs wood to wood vs ivory joints have different "feel"
try them out /if one feel better to you great
same with tips
if you find a certain type of tip that seems to make you control the cue ball better stick with it

if you look across history i am sure you will find an example of great one pocket players that have used one of the above joints
for example shannon daulton uses an ivory flat faced gilbert cue
alex uses an OB 3/8-10 pin wood to wood flat faced jointed cue
many champions used pilted steel jointed cues from various makers

as for tips
i used triangles for awhile and liked them
switched to kamui for no good reason
the soft used to mushroom alot on me although others dont find that problem
i use a medium now and it works fine for me
subjectively i did think i could draw alittle better with the soft tip
but i still think i need to work on my stroke and not blame the tip:D

in summary
experimentation is good to find out what you like
but its the indian not the arrow most of the time:D
although a better arrow cant hurt;)

I think I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new cue...
:rolleyes: