****The Secret of the Half Ball****

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
That 30 degree deflection from 1/4 to 3/4 hit was incomprehensible to me until someone 'splained it. So many shots seem to come up wanting to roll a straight back bank that are on a scratch angle almost no matter where you hit the OB. :mad:
Take a look at Mike Page's video (linked in my post above) for a convincing demonstration of that.

pj
chgo

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree. Nice one, Bill and PJ!

I really enjoyed the 2 clips from Mike Page. Someone talked about how useful the carom angles around and about a half ball hit were useful in 9-ball. But in my opinion, that information is far more useful in one-pocket (and of course all carom billiard games).

There are hundreds of applications of the carom tacks in safety play in and around the stack. If a guy knows precisely where the CB is headed after contact with the OB, he can shoot some lock-up safeties with confidence. So many times it's critical to know exactly what the CB will do in those circumstances, to where the player might be forced to pass on the shot without that assuredness.

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Right on. Mike P's demonstration of repeatedly scratching off that OB was very impressive. There is no doubt that certain locations of the OB are dead scratches, no matter where you are coming from, with a rolling cue ball. One such spot is just a few inches above the foot spot. You can't just roll it in. Of course, his demonstration did not include a shot at the pocket.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I agree. Nice one, Bill and PJ!

I really enjoyed the 2 clips from Mike Page. Someone talked about how useful the carom angles around and about a half ball hit were useful in 9-ball. But in my opinion, that information is far more useful in one-pocket (and of course all carom billiard games).

There are hundreds of applications of the carom tacks in safety play in and around the stack. If a guy knows precisely where the CB is headed after contact with the OB, he can shoot some lock-up safeties with confidence. So many times it's critical to know exactly what the CB will do in those circumstances, to where the player might be forced to pass on the shot without that assuredness.

~Doc
The principle works in reverse too. The CB's possible follow paths and draw paths mirror each other, if you squint a little.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The principle works in reverse too. The CB's possible follow paths and draw paths mirror each other, if you squint a little.

pj
chgo
Heh, heh. If you squint a little...:) But I may be missing your point here. In what way does a draw off of a HBH mirror a natural roll off of a HBH?

BTW, Page's gem about a HBH draw coming off at 90 degrees was a bona fide knock-your-hat-off gem! I wish I'd known that when I played lots of 9-ball! How many 9 balls did I miss pocketing by carom because I wasn't sure where to hit the OB?!:rolleyes:

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Doc, if I recall correctly, the 90 degree angle applies when the cue ball is sliding - no draw, no roll. In other words, when all the draw is gone, and before it begins to roll. If that's not right, someone please speak up.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Heh, heh. If you squint a little...:) But I may be missing your point here. In what way does a draw off of a HBH mirror a natural roll off of a HBH?

BTW, Page's gem about a HBH draw coming off at 90 degrees was a bona fide knock-your-hat-off gem! I wish I'd known that when I played lots of 9-ball! How many 9 balls did I miss pocketing by carom because I wasn't sure where to hit the OB?!:rolleyes:

~Doc

Doc; PM me, since I started this thread, (and regret it now) I'll explain in detail what is meant here.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Not just a half ball hit - any hit. In the drawing below (not a half ball hit), imagine the "stun" line (tangent line) is a mirror. Then the "follow" path and the "draw" path are reflections of each other in this "mirror" (if they have equal spin at contact).

I said "if you squint a little" because you have to hit draw shots harder, so the draw paths are limited to those made at faster speeds (less curve).

~Doc
He has a real knack for zeroing in on the most important stuff and making it understandable. Everybody should visit Fargo Billiards (his renowned pool joint in Fargo, ND) and spend 'til it hurts.

pj
chgo
View attachment 8579

Attachments

• Tangent.jpg
    Tangent.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
In the drawing below, imagine the "stun" line (tangent line) is a mirror. Then the "follow" path and the "draw" path are reflections of each other in this "mirror".

I said "if you squint a little" because you have to hit draw shots harder, so the draw paths are limited to those made at faster speeds (less curve).

He has a real knack for zeroing in on the most important stuff and making it understandable. Everybody should visit Fargo Billiards (his renowned pool joint in Fargo, ND) and spend 'til it hurts.

pj
chgo
View attachment 8579

I think MORE explanation is NEED here! What happens when, more distance between CB and OB, force applied, contact on CB, what do YOU consider a, "stun" shot?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Doc, if I recall correctly, the 90 degree angle applies when the cue ball is sliding - no draw, no roll. In other words, when all the draw is gone, and before it begins to roll. If that's not right, someone please speak up.
I think Doc's talking about maximum draw, not stun. For a half ball hit, maximum draw brings the CB to a path about 90 degrees from the CB's original path (not the OB's path as in a stun shot). This is a handy rule of thumb (not exact) for tight position play - it's most accurate at slower speeds, I think.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I think MORE explanation is NEED here! What happens when, more distance between CB and OB, force applied, contact on CB, what do YOU consider a, "stun" shot?
More force (speed) means the CB's curve will be longer/flatter, as I said. "Stun" means the CB is sliding without forward or reverse rotation when it hits the OB (like a stop shot at an angle). It's well defined; if I "considered" anything else a stun shot I'd simply be wrong.

pj
chgo

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think Doc's talking about maximum draw, not stun. For a half ball hit, maximum draw brings the CB to a path about 90 degrees from the CB's original path (not the OB's path as in a stun shot). This is a handy rule of thumb (not exact) for tight position play - it's most accurate at slower speeds, I think.

pj
chgo

I'm referring to the diagram YOU just posted.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
More force (speed) means the CB's curve will be longer/flatter, as I said. "Stun" means the CB is sliding without forward or reverse rotation when it hits the OB (like a stop shot at an angle). It's well defined; if I "considered" anything else a stun shot I'd simply be wrong.

pj
chgo

YOU forgot the "distance" between the CB and OB!

How is "stun" achieved at shorter or more distance that is shown in the diagram?
;)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
YOU forgot the "distance" between the CB and OB!

How is "stun" achieved at shorter or more distance that is shown in the diagram?
;)
As usual, for a stun hit more distance means you hit lower and/or harder and less distance means you hit higher and/or softer. This is pretty basic stuff, Bill - do you really think the good players here need this much detail?

pj
chgo