Carbon fiber shafts

johnnytronic

Verified Member
So a follow-up post in that AZB thread states that a Jacoby carbon shaft was taken apart and found foam and not wood inside.
Still, I wonder why the foam extends to the tip. How does that make the front end mass lighter weight than the body of the shaft? All of the other carbon shafts have the last 5 ~ 8 inches hollow.

PS; I'm waiting for someone to make one 32" long for $150, as I think that's
about all they are worth to me.

Really! Sure looks like wood to me in the picture, like you can see even see the grain. Maybe they changed the design when people found out it's carbon over wood.
I really think these vendors can't copy predator's design w/ running into law suits. I was under the impression from awhile back that foam inside of LD shafts mainly serves the purpose of creating a better "sounding/feeling" hit.
As far as I know it's not high density foam and doesn't contribute to much front end mass. I'm dying to do some more LD tests on these wanna be Revo's :cool:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm looking at stiffening my maple setup even more. I did notice Jayson Shaw, uses a Long cue, maybe 64'' or greater. Makes me wonder if more length/more wood is as effective as a CF shaft with a tight grain. I'm gonna cut a worn out shaft 5'' and use my 5'' back, use my extension and make the 29'' shaft length 2 pieces. More forward weight and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Ernie Martinez cut er down, I put it together and hit a few. The cue wasn't as stiff. The feel of the shot hit, was not as good as was hoped, it wasn't a Solid hit. Now it makes me now wonder how good a one piece cue would feel?

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I'm looking at stiffening my maple setup even more. I did notice Jayson Shaw, uses a Long cue, maybe 64'' or greater. Makes me wonder if more length/more wood is as effective as a CF shaft with a tight grain. I'm gonna cut a worn out shaft 5'' and use my 5'' back, use my extension and make the 29'' shaft length 2 pieces. More forward weight and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I play with 32 inch shafts with a 29 inch butt. I have deflection in those shafts. I played with them so long I don't even notice or think about it.

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
I play with 32 inch shafts with a 29 inch butt. I have deflection in those shafts. I played with them so long I don't even notice or think about it.

I also play with 32" shaft on a 30" butt. With an 11MM tip, there is very little deflection.
I would like to find another one to try with a 12MM tip. Where did you find yours?

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I also play with 32" shaft on a 30" butt. With an 11MM tip, there is very little deflection.
I would like to find another one to try with a 12MM tip. Where did you find yours?

I took a ''worn out'' Great shaft. Was 13mm new in 89, then by 93 both were down to 12.2 or such and whippy. Since I would NEVER use those shafts for play, I thought I'd cut one down and see how it performed.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve Mizerak cues that you can buy from Big 5 for $30 are graphite and foam filled. I know because I was given one, which I cut the butt into and it was full of foam. I put an insert into it to make a joint to convert it into a jump break cue, which I sold. Whitey

baby huey

Verified Member
Steve Mizerak cues that you can buy from Big 5 for $30 are graphite and foam filled. I know because I was given one, which I cut the butt into and it was full of foam. I put an insert into it to make a joint to convert it into a jump break cue, which I sold. Whitey

Nice Whitey, I wonder if those aluminum cues at Big 5 are also low deflection as well? LOL. Earlier I said I couldn't get the spin I needed for One Pocket where you have to shoot softly with high spin. I left out that I also couldn't get the minute amount of ARC in the cueball as well. I've set up several shots where my CF players could not replicate those shots. Usually this occurs early in the game when playing around the stack. I recently played Pilot and he's been a CF/low deflection guy for a long time. He uses that cue pretty well. As far a ball pocketing goes the CF is the best. I also asked Mr. 3C about the use of CF in Billiards where we all know tremendous spin is required to score and he said that CF doesn't work well in 3C. I hope I can entice him to explain more about the science of 3C and CF vs Maple shafts.

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member

I play with a schon cue. I bought the 32 inch shafts directly from schon. The last I checked which was around Xmas they no longer offered those.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Nice Whitey, I wonder if those aluminum cues at Big 5 are also low deflection as well? LOL. Earlier I said I couldn't get the spin I needed for One Pocket where you have to shoot softly with high spin. I left out that I also couldn't get the minute amount of ARC in the cueball as well. I've set up several shots where my CF players could not replicate those shots. Usually this occurs early in the game when playing around the stack. I recently played Pilot and he's been a CF/low deflection guy for a long time. He uses that cue pretty well. As far a ball pocketing goes the CF is the best. I also asked Mr. 3C about the use of CF in Billiards where we all know tremendous spin is required to score and he said that CF doesn't work well in 3C. I hope I can entice him to explain more about the science of 3C and CF vs Maple shafts.

At Mandalay, I saw Ignacio draw a ball for 3 rall shape, that only a CF shaft could do. He's cutting the 2 ball in the upper l/h pocket, cue ball about 1.5 diamonds off the long rail by the head string, 2 ball about 2 diamonds from the same long rail 2.5 diamonds up from the foot rail, the 3 ball is by his bridge hand. He pockets the 2, hits the other long rail middle diamond, ball yo'yos' coming off the long rail, comes back to the other long rail, JUST below the tit, comes across to the other long rail and lies perfect on the 3 in the side. Ball traveled 15 feet with back cut draw. I was amazed. Maple, impossible.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
At Mandalay, I saw Ignacio draw a ball for 3 rall shape, that only a CF shaft could do. He's cutting the 2 ball in the upper l/h pocket, cue ball about 1.5 diamonds off the long rail by the head string, 2 ball about 2 diamonds from the same long rail also mid rail, the 3 ball is by his bridge hand. He pockets the 2, hits the other long rail middle diamond, ball comes off the long rail, comes back to the other long rail, JUST below the tit, comes across to the other long rail and lies perfect on the 3 in the side. Ball traveled 15 feet with back cut draw. I was amazed. Maple, impossible.

There are quite a few players around Hard Times using them, even B players. It seems to give them more confidence and as we all know, that and a little skill can make you a better player.

I don’t care for the feel and feedback, but I pretty much only play one pocket and probably could get used to it. I may try the Mezz Ignite when it comes out.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
There are quite a few players around Hard Times using them, even B players. It seems to give them more confidence and as we all know, that and a little skill can make you a better player.

I don’t care for the feel and feedback, but I pretty much only play one pocket and probably could get used to it. I may try the Mezz Ignite when it comes out.

John I had a chance to hit with the Mezz Ignite last night at my house. The shaft does not ping like the Predator and I thought it gave more feedback as well. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to really run the shaft through its paces. That said, it interested me enough to give it a try when available.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Another image I found interesting.