To kick or not to kick

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
These are easy ones so I figure there will be cookies galore. Anyway, all three of these came up in one afternoon of One Pocket yesterday. You can see the score by the balls in the pockets, and it is your shot.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-07-36.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-07-36.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Example #2

Example #2

For this one you are down 6-1

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-10-40.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-10-40.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Example #3

Example #3

...and for this one you are also down in the score, 5-1

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-04-22.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-27_10-04-22.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
#1 scenario-- do no kick, danger of leaving shot on 15 ball . play 15 ball into balls on bottom rail and follow with right English on cue to put on rail behind balls

#2 scenario-- definitely kick, dead ball with little danger

#3 scenario-- no kick here, not enough gain, too much danger. position 15 ball close to my pocket and place cueball on opponents side behind stack;)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
To kick or not to kick

1and 2 are obvious. # 3 is a 2 rail kick out of the corner (variation on the original 4 rail DCC Tom Wirth kick shot). If hit well, sinks a ball, breaks up balls, and keeps you on the correct side of the stack to do some real damage.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I like the kick on shot 1 just focus on floating white behind 11. 15 goes to your side rail. I would not kick it at my hole if that's what you're asking.

I like kicking soft on shot 2 and rolling the 5 to my hole, cue ball nudges past the 4 into a good spot. Five goes or not I am in good shape.

I like the two rail kick shot three.

I hate typing on tablets!

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
1. no kick. shoot the bank

2. no kick. too dangerous

3. definite kick two rails.

Bill S.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
#1. Shoot hard into 15 ball and draw the cue ball up table between side pocket and third diamond on the opponent's side of the table. Ticky off the bottom of the eleven, back to the rail then ticky off the bottom of the six. There is an excellent chance of making the eight ball here but the shot must be hit hard.

#2. I can't see how you can not shoot at this combo. It is begging for it.

#3. There are two possible shots here that I can see. The first is to shoot directly into the ten ball and draw the cue ball to the side rail. This is total offense, and shot only if the six ball will throw to your hole. Miss this shot and you lose so the six must be dead. The second possible shot is a two rail kick into the eight ball. This shot may easily throw the fifteen into your pocket and the cue ball will remain on your opponent's side of the table while no object balls will filter to your opponent's side. This is a very safe play unless the shot is butchered. Playing into the eleven won't work as anything other than as a move. The six will throw the wrong way.

Tom

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Shouldn't it be Larry Csonka and Garo Yapremian?

Garo said "I kick a touchdown" Alex Karras (the last good Lions defensive Player) hated him."
Rod.
P.S. He wasn't much of a passer. :) If I remember correctly he lost the Super Bowl trying to throw a pass on a botched kick. (maybe against the Washington Foreskins) it's been a long time ago.

P.P.S George was a businessman. (Like Sigel) He wasn't allowed to play quarterback until Joe Fossie, commissioner of something (AFL maybe)" Passed away. He was forced to go to Oakland as a kicker (some old AFL investigations.)

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Garo said "I kick a touchdown" Alex Karras (the last good Lions defensive Player) hated him."
Rod.
P.S. He wasn't much of a passer. :) If I remember correctly he lost the Super Bowl trying to throw a pass on a botched kick. (maybe against the Washington Foreskins) it's been a long time ago.

P.P.S George was a businessman. (Like Sigel) He wasn't allowed to play quarterback until Joe Fossie, commissioner of something (AFL maybe)" Passed away. He was forced to go to Oakland as a kicker (some old AFL investigations.)

He, Garo, also ran a botched kick into the opponent's end zone thus scoring a touchdown for them.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I ended up kicking at all three of these shots, and they all happened to work out pretty well. This one was a soft kick, just pocket speed and if anything miss a little on the high side so the cue ball still drops behind the ball cluster.

PS these were all drawn from memory, so the balls might have been a little different here or there. I think for this one, the 15 was actually farther from the rail and a little closer to the cluster, so it was a little longer kick, but had an even better natural angle to float the cue ball behind the cluster.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-18-30.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-18-30.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For this one, being so far behind in the score, I could not resist kicking at the dead ball. Coming from out of the corner like that, these can certainly go wrong too so I thought about it a little before I pulled the trigger, and if the score had been different I would not have played it. It did work out well though.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-21-43.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-21-43.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This shot when it came up reminded me of the two rail kick that often comes up when there is a line-up of balls on the spot, which made me confident that I would hit it decently accurately. That combo at the bottom of the pile was not dead, but was headed in the general direction of my pocket so I figured if I caught those first, something would end up near my pocket along with what I hoped would be a nice spread of balls.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-14-19.jpg
    Greenshot_2014-07-29_07-14-19.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I ended up kicking at all three of these shots, and they all happened to work out pretty well. This one was a soft kick, just pocket speed and if anything miss a little on the high side so the cue ball still drops behind the ball cluster.

PS these were all drawn from memory, so the balls might have been a little different here or there. I think for this one, the 15 was actually farther from the rail and a little closer to the cluster, so it was a little longer kick, but had an even better natural angle to float the cue ball behind the cluster.

Steve; In example #1,why didn't you just bank the 15 and leave the CB in the same location, seems like that would be a more reliable choice? NOT trying to make it of course!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I ended up kicking at all three of these shots, and they all happened to work out pretty well.

Steve...

Coincidentally, to you posting this thread...when Dustin/ 'miller' was here taking a lesson from me a few weeks ago, I spent some intensive time instructing him regarding kicks, in many various kicking situations..and stressing to him, the extreme importance of the knowledge/awareness of them, and the proficiency in shooting them, being a very important component of playing One Pocket at a high level.

- Ghost

baby huey

Verified Member
In #1, I would not kick. I see no upside to kicking here. The way the balls are laying they actually favor your opponent. I might try to cross bank the #15 with no intention of making it and trying to lay the cue ball on the rail and use those balls there to cover the #15. This is also tricky cause if you don't cover he is going to bank the #15 into those balls alone the rail. You could kick into the balls along the rail very slowly if you just had to kick but not disturb them too much.

In#2, the ball count and the way the balls are lying dictates a kick. Looks pretty good for you to make a ball and possibly run out.

In#3, the ball count does not favor you and I would not kick and just thin hit something for a few innings in hopes of getting a bank our a combo before I tried to hit a home run kick shot.

Last edited: