Rules question

beatle

Verified Member
You guys are suckers. Sucker's for a post that doesn't have little faces in it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In WPA that governs our Official OP rules, the position of the balls are based upon 'the base of the ball where it contacts the cloth'.

The head string in considered outside of the kitchen. The head string is a line through the center of the dot or diamond.

Therefore when having Ball in Hand behind the Line:
1. An OB can be legally first contacted if its base is upon the line or below the line. 'Below' is towards the foot end of table.
2. The CB has to place behind the line, or 'above' the line, therefore its base can not be on the line, but needs to be slightly behind the line.

The WPA Ball in Hand behind the Line is so out of line of how Americans traditionally play BIH behind the Line, I hate to even comment on it. We have discussed this thoroughly a few times. Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
for most of my life I played base of ball for both cue ball and object ball but honestly don't find arguing about rules to be worth it so generally just bow to the player at the room I am at

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fwiw
although i think it should be same rule for object and cue ball
asked my house pro who said he has always played
all ball for object ball and base of ball for cue ball

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
You are playing 1p and the OB must be fully over the line to be a legal ball.

When you are shooting after a scratch, does the cue ball need to be:

A)Fully over the line
B)Base of the ball on the line (so part of the ball can be over)

I would like to see a clear rule written. This situation comes up frequently as different players play it differently. I prefer, whole object ball over the line and whole cue ball behind the line. Base of the ball stuff can become very subjective.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Rules question

I would like to see a clear rule written. This situation comes up frequently as different players play it differently. I prefer, whole object ball over the line and whole cue ball behind the line. Base of the ball stuff can become very subjective.

Exactly. I agree completely.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.

Paul, at the last 2018 MOT @ Cal. Billiards during the players meeting it was decided to play the whole ball for the cb and ob ball, plus the opponent would give a warning to the shooter if either was in violation. Basically we played BIH by the American Standard BIH rule we all grew up playing by.
I believe, but have no positive inclination that someday this rule will be upgraded within our official rules. But the MOT players meeting is a start towards realizing what rule they want to play by. Whitey