Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 PM

Default 3 person one pocket

i have heard there is a game like this. name of tghe game is domething like widow one pocket. can anyone clarify 4 me the name and the rules thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker
i have heard there is a game like this. name of tghe game is domething like widow one pocket. can anyone clarify 4 me the name and the rules thanks
The only thing I can think of I have heard called 'captain' -- which is basically like a partner's game, except that whoever is 'captain' is essentially their own partner, vs the other two guys who become standard partners. I haven't ever done this myself. I assume it would not be the 'Scotch Doubles' kind of partnership where partner's alternate every shot, but rather it would be the standard partnership where partner's alternate innings.

Many of you guys have probably seen the unusual variation of this when Ronnie Allen, alternates playing one-handed and two-handed against Harry Platis and Keith McCready (who were traditional partners). There is a dvd or video of this that is often on eBay.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
The only thing I can think of I have heard called 'captain' -- which is basically like a partner's game, except that whoever is 'captain' is essentially their own partner, vs the other two guys who become standard partners. I haven't ever done this myself. I assume it would not be the 'Scotch Doubles' kind of partnership where partner's alternate every shot, but rather it would be the standard partnership where partner's alternate innings.

Many of you guys have probably seen the unusual variation of this when Ronnie Allen, alternates playing one-handed and two-handed against Harry Platis and Keith McCready (who were traditional partners). There is a dvd or video of this that is often on eBay.

I have that video...Gerry sent it to me on loan. I will gladly lend it with his permission to whoever wants to veiw it if they promise to send it back!!! PM me with details
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
I have that video...Gerry sent it to me on loan. I will gladly lend it with his permission to whoever wants to veiw it if they promise to send it back!!! PM me with details

Yea man, I don't mind......but everyone who watches it has to give me 9/5 when I run into them!

Gerry
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Verified Member

"Widows" is a popular 3-handed game here in St. Louis.

You flip to determine the order in which the players will play solo. The first player then plays alone against the other two guys, who form a team. After that game, it's the next guy's turn to play solo against the other two. You can handicap it, so that certain team combinations give or recieve weight.

Guys keep track on a chalk board. When you lose solo, you win or lose two tickies, usually something like $10 or $25 a tickie. If someone wants to quit, it's usually done at the conclusion of a round, when all three players have had a chance to play solo.

Two buddies can easily cut up the third guy, if it's not on the square. Often times it appears that someone is being cut up, even when they're not :-)

Lou Figueroa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker
Old 04-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa
"Widows" is a popular 3-handed game here in St. Louis.

You flip to determine the order in which the players will play solo. The first player then plays alone against the other two guys, who form a team. After that game, it's the next guy's turn to play solo against the other two. You can handicap it, so that certain team combinations give or recieve weight.

Guys keep track on a chalk board. When you lose solo, you win or lose two tickies, usually something like $10 or $25 a tickie. If someone wants to quit, it's usually done at the conclusion of a round, when all three players have had a chance to play solo.

Two buddies can easily cut up the third guy, if it's not on the square. Often times it appears that someone is being cut up, even when they're not :-)

Lou Figueroa
Lou-- So if you're playing, say, $10 per man (tickie), then if you were on the winning end for all three games, you'd win $40? (20 once, plus 10 twice) Or is my math off...

Do the partners alternate shots, or just innings? I think you guys have too much time on your hands up there in St. Louis.

Doc
Old 04-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Verified Member

Your math is right. Also, as I was learning one pocket I was afforded the opportunity to sweat many a widows match (some even with The Great Lou amongst the combatants) and I think it is a pretty entertaining format...or maybe its just the characters at the pool hall that make it entertaining. Because of my rather tender age, I have been in only one widows match and I thought it was a good time. Recently in St. Louis, the small-time widows action has become more rare as older players get really old.

Lou's description of the game format is right on.

kollegedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Lou-- So if you're playing, say, $10 per man (tickie), then if you were on the winning end for all three games, you'd win $40? (20 once, plus 10 twice) Or is my math off...

Do the partners alternate shots, or just innings? I think you guys have too much time on your hands up there in St. Louis.

Doc
Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Verified Member

How does kollegedave (soon to be "that****ingattorneydave" :-) get to be a Verified Member and not moi?! ah, sweet mysteries of life.

Oh, and the players playing as a team alternate innings.

Lou Figueroa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollegedave
Your math is right. Also, as I was learning one pocket I was afforded the opportunity to sweat many a widows match (some even with The Great Lou amongst the combatants) and I think it is a pretty entertaining format...or maybe its just the characters at the pool hall that make it entertaining. Because of my rather tender age, I have been in only one widows match and I thought it was a good time. Recently in St. Louis, the small-time widows action has become more rare as older players get really old.

Lou's description of the game format is right on.

kollegedave
Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shorty Send a message via AIM to Shorty Send a message via MSN to Shorty Send a message via Yahoo to Shorty

I would love to see this video whenever whoever is done with it. Gladly pay shipping even.

Shorty
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Verified Member

Default 3 person one-pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve

Here in Tucson, captain's one pocket is called grandpa. Grandpa being the one shooting by himself. Lot of fun. Coaching is usually allowed if one of the team is learning the game.