Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Verified Member

Default Cue Sticks

Wouldn't some of us old timers like to have some of the cues that have past through our hands over the years. I doubt I have ever owned a cue more than a few years. I have played with Tad's, Gina's, Joss West and East, along with many many others. Sold some, traded some, lost some and also won a few. I won Ernesto Dominguez Gina Cue twice. A nice Merry Widow with five shafts. I gave it to Indian Joe Monzingo, owner of the Golden Cue where I played.

I sold a nice Tad for $120 to my friend Frank The Barber so he could give it to his son for his birthday. I know some of you have had the same cues forever. Billy Pence at Hard Times has had his Gina for over 30 years. It is worth thousands now and probably cost less than $200 new.

I currently own a Bobby Hunter and a Mezz. I got the Hunter from Kentucky Bill who has quite a collection and buys in bulk to get good prices. You see quite a few Mezz Cues around Northern CA. The Mezz West tour auctions off a cue at every tournament and after three years and several tournaments you see quite a few of them. Oscar Dominguez, who runs the tour with his wife, also sells them.

After purchasing a used Mezz from Jeff Gregory, who buys them right and sells at a fair price, I started playing with the Mezz because my Hunter went to Proficient Billiards for refinishing. The Mezz cue was easy to adjust to after playing with the Hunter for quite a while. I believe they are the best production cue available, having played with Predator, Dominiak and others.

Why do I feel this way? Because a I have booked four winners in a row with the Mezz. Four or five losses and I could be looking for something new. I am a sucker for anything new that I think might help my one pocket game. I have tried no ferrule low deflection shafts ( Great for spinning in thin cut shots on that ball that sneaks out on the break), almost every shaft Predator and OB make, different length and weight mid cue extensions, and of course the next new invention that comes out there to help my game will end up in my case.

What I really need to play better is a brain transplant. I hope they are available before I get too old, so I can move like Ronnie Allen and shoot like SVB.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
What I really need to play better is a brain transplant. I hope they are available before I get too old, so I can move like Ronnie Allen and shoot like SVB.
If you get that done have 'em save the old one for me... my dream is to play like one of your bad days.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Verified Member

I have been playing with a Mezz for about 18 months. I cracked a farell and had a local cue maker replace it. I am not sure what he used, maybe ivorine, but the hit is much firmer now which I like.

Ben
Old 11-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
I have been playing with a Mezz for about 18 months. I cracked a farell and had a local cue maker replace it. I am not sure what he used, maybe ivorine, but the hit is much firmer now which I like.

Ben
I changed from the low deflection WX 700 shaft to the standard hard maple shaft. I seem to play better with it than the low deflection shaft.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Verified Member

Default Cue Sticks

Great topic. My favorite cue of all time was a wrapless Scruggs with ambonya burl and lots of ivory. I sold it a few years ago to pay for my sons daycare that month. Still hurts. I have been playing with a ferrulless shaft (BB) for a few years and you are right about the spin shots and extreme English. Once I got used to low deflection, I really like it. Soon I will be looking to upgrade my eyes though, as they are quickly becoming yesterday's model.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Verified Member

When I stopped playing back in the mid 90's I sold my Southwest. That's one I wish I would have hung on to.

Some time this week or next I should be getting my Merry Widow back from Mike lambros. I sent it back to him to see if he could liven up that shafts a bit.

Ben
Old 11-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Verified Member

still got my cues from the 1960's forward. plus a couple old 100 year conversions. still straight and shoot fine.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Administrator

I bought a used Runde ebony/ivory Schon in 1992 at Strawberry's tournament outside of Washington DC and still play with it.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Verified Member

I've had 1 Rambow, sold it in Miami for $150.00 after a month of betting on the wrong dogs at the track... Big mistake!

1 Ginacue made by Ernie Guiterrez in his garage when he first started making cues, mother of pearl, ebony and ivory inlays, beautiful cue, really hit nice, stolen at Daisy Mae's in 1969, but I did get closure on where it went...

1 Russ Espiritu that also hit really well, sold it to flyboy for $800.00 after a hard night at the poker table... Lost $200.00 on it...

Playing with a $116.00 Players production cue now with a Mezz shaft and a Kamui SS clear tip... I bought it in May of last year because it felt solid and hit good... Plus I didn't know if my return to pool was going to last more than a few days, so I didn't buy a high dollar custom cue....

I just bought another cue on Ebay because I liked the look of it... It's a McDermott S1 Star... It's just a plain vanilla sneaky Pete with a SS butt cap, but I just have a feeling about it, I think it's gonna hit really good... I had the single shaft it comes with turned down to 12.5 mm and had a Kamui SS clear tip put on... Should be here in a week or so, paid $144.00 out the door. Another cheap cue, I'm still not sure how long I'm gonna stick with it...
Old 11-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Verified Member

My first cue was a Willie Hoppi that I bought at the Brunswick store in Dallas for 17.95. Not positive but I think Alfie Taylor was with me. Took the leather wrap off and hand wound a linen grip.

Decided I wanted a Rambo so I bought one at Johnson City from Boots Maples for 100.00 with a Brunswick case. Kept it for a time.

Tried a few Palmer and Paradise cues but never liked the way they played.

Bought a Balabushka from Ritchie Ambrose at the Billiard den for 125.00. It was too thin and not a very good cue.

Finally got a good Balabushka like the one Jimmy Moore had with the MOP dots in the back. It was a great playing cue and I kept it for a long time.

When on the road with Dan Janes we both ordered cues from Dick Helmsteder in Chicago. Both were simple 4 point Hoppi style ebony cues. I played with it until I started making cues.

Bill S.