Freddy Salem picture in "The Rack"

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Thought I'd try to scan some pictures to see if I could do it.

This is a picture of Freddy Salem taken by Cornbreads wife Burnette inside of "The Rack".

This is towards the front of the room and to the right at the back of the picture is where you would enter into the card room on the other side.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 1

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Great job, Steve. I was looking for a pic of Mr. Salem a while back. Got that Alan Arkin look going on, a little bit.. Any other pics of anybody would be great. Thanks. Any of Mr. Sherman??

mosconiac

Verified Member
Keep 'em coming, this is the first photo I've seen from the Rack in my life. It's nice to see that it kind of fit my mental picture of the place. :)

JAM

Verified Member
I remember cigarette machines like that one in the background. Sometimes you'd put your money in, and after you pull the thingie, nothing would come out. :frus

That guy doesn't look happy about having his picture taken. :eek:

Very nice vintage photo of The Rack. Thank you for sharing! :)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Dem look like some tight pockets on that anniversary table. Great picture, post more if you have more.

Well Frank, all the tables at the Rack were...5 inches.

Thats what kept gambling going, good players had to give up weight and play good, the weaker players had a chance.

Tighter pockets suck.

I think they've ruined more action and tournaments than anything. History is kind of on my side with this also.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dem look like some tight pockets on that anniversary table.

All of the tables in The Rack were snug without being "supertight". The only one with "big" pockets was the 5' x 10' pooltable along the back wall, next to the 3-Cushion table. The other 5' x 10' pooltable had probably the tightest pockets in the country from what I've seen and read here from Freddy. I played on that tight 5' x10' many times and loved it although I didn't play very well at the time.

I always thought of the 4 1/2 x 9's in The Rack as being fair. Nobody who gambled on them would say they were big pockets.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Well Frank, all the tables at the Rack were...5"
B]Tighter pockets suck.[/B] I think they've ruined more action and tournaments than anything. History is kind of on my side with this also.

Not too sure about that Steverino !.. My recollection of the "good old day's" is, no one was obsessed with pocket size..Most of the better rooms had Brunswick tables, and they all came from the factory, with a standard size opening, usually around 4-3/4 to 5".

Most players were more concerned with the roll-offs, and the rails..Bottom line for a road man, was to adjust to those conditions ASAP !...Very few room owner's (unlike today) tinkered with shims and such, to make pockets smaller. There were always a few 'gaffe' tables..But, if you were going to survive as a pool hustler..you had better be able to spot them 'real quick' !

Bottom line, ALL pool tables are a little bit different !..Either get good at figurin' it out..or find another racket !..;)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I guess I have to state again.

All the 9 footers at The Rack had 5 inch pockets.

There were no tight ass tables in there until Grady came here in 1981 and "bastardized" the 5x10. :sorry

Anyone want to guess who took down all the tables when the room closed down?? :lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Not too sure about that Steverino !.. My recollection of the "good old day's" is, no one was obsessed with pocket size..Most of the better rooms had Brunswick tables, and they all came from the factory, with a standard size opening, usually around 4-3/4 to 5". ...

That's true. Traditionally, Brunswicks I believe came with 5" corner pockets and 5-1/2" side pockets. No one seemed to pay too much attention to the pocket sizes then; only the overall condition of the table: new/worn, dirty/clean, etc.

To my taste, 4-1/2" pockets are plenty snug for today's play. Anything smaller, even for 1P, is silly.

Doc

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
Rack Photos

Rack Photos

Steve:

This is a great photo. What other photos do you have?

See you at DDC?

Carla Johnson

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Steve:

This is a great photo. What other photos do you have?

See you at DDC?

Carla Johnson

I mean DCC
Carla

I'm going to start to scan some now that I kinda can do it and maybe I'll get good.

Not 100% positive about going yet, got some other stuff that might take precedence.

Freddy did his book...should we start on ours???

JAM

Verified Member
I'm going to start to scan some now that I kinda can do it and maybe I'll get good.

Not 100% positive about going yet, got some other stuff that might take precedence.

Freddy did his book...should we start on ours???

Yes, I think you should. Do it. In fact, it would be quite cool to have this era of pool when The Rack was in its prime covered, to include those scanned photos. I'd love that! :cool: