Derby Dispatches -- Day Eight.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
The $20,000 Payday.

Not a bad night’s work!

The multi-talented Dennis Orcollo v. some guy married to a gorgeous girl. With a beautiful baby.

Some commentator comments on Dennis.

‘One of the best players on the planet.’

‘The best rotation player in the world.’

‘He offered the 7 to any American player.’

‘The world’s best technician.’

‘He’s shooting so many easy shots, it kinda looks like he’s cheating.'

‘At their best, Dennis has the edge over Efren on rotation. But Efren has the perfect temperament.’

Observer Observations.

Danny seemed a little tired last night. Then, when the action heated up, like an old warhorse smelling the cordite, he snorted back to life.

It was sad to hear that Efren is missing in the conversation more and more every year.

I hadn’t realized that the winner of the lag has his choice of breaking or not.

Also new to me was the term ‘missing inside the pocket.’ If I understand it -- not always a given! -- this means making a ball on the wrong side of the pocket can mean missing position for the next shot.

Cutesy phrase when an easy 2-10 combo was lined up: ‘What time is it? Oh, two minutes to ten.’

During the ‘all star’ competition the audience was encouraged to count down the time when the shot clock reached 10. For some reason it was mostly female voices until near the very end.

Danny riffed on the the theme: ‘You get thirty seconds on the break. When you’re peeing and the clock gets down to 10, the audience starts counting …’

I did notice an Armani tee. But it was Armani Exchange.

Amusing after-a-scratch phrase: ‘Ball in paw.’

‘When you kick at a ball, you have a 7-inch target.’ True?

Did the number of ‘encore performances’ exceed the number of live matches on the TV table?

Speaking of streaming ... the hesitation Sylver has in his stroke fooled me into thinking my screen was freezing.

Speaking of tables, on the 5 x 10 ... ‘A shot maker’s paradise.’ ‘Distance is an ally.’ ‘When you hit it with a hard stroke, the pocket shrinks.’ ‘When you have a lot of follow on the break, you lose power.’

I wish a certain announcer would lose the breast cancer awareness references when referring to the pink ball. And, Archer’s extension.

Speaking of Johnny ... this was a good line when things weren’t going well for him: ‘Archer is facing a tough day at the office. And his office has spectator seating.'

Speaking of seating … all those empty chairs don’t provide the visuals that the promoters and streamers must want.

Speaking of good lines … ‘Want to become a world-class pool player? Divorce your wife and live in your car.’

Question of the day.

Are most good pool players good athletes? I don’t mean are they toned, in shape. Some obviously are; others … not so much.

I’m terrible at shooting pool, el stinko. And, I never was good at sports games. Every year in school I tried out for field hockey and lacrosse. Never made the team.

Obviously I’m wondering if my lack of athletic ability is tied to pitiable pool.

Ink on paper is my life,

Sunny