Legends of One Pocket II (Philadelphia style) 1991

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was there , great player after great player. What a wonderful tournament.loved every moment i was there. Steve cook was the highest calcutta player and won it. He went for 700.

I was so glad I got to be able to play some one hole sessions with Steve Cook before he passed. Granted it was later in his career but he still sure knew how to play. He gave me like 8/7 for I think $10 a game and it was a great learning experience!

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
To bring this thread back to life -

To bring this thread back to life -

here is a transcript of an article from The National Billiard News, Volume 19, Issue 7 - September 1991(with the typos corrected).

THE LEGENDS OF ONE POCKET PHILADELPHIA STYLE
Starring Jimmy Fusco & Friends
July 18 through 21st 1991

Fifty-five* of the best one-pocket players in the world converged on the Philadelphia Airport Hilton Hotel to compete for $36,500 in prize money.** It was without a question the finest field ever assembled: "Bugs" Rucker, Ronnie Allen, Alan Hopkins, Mike Sigel, Steve Mizerak, Grady Mathews, "Cornbread Red", Jimmy Fusco, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Mike LeBron, "Jersey Red", Buddy Hall, Steve Cook, Danny Diliberto, John Ervolino, Bill Incardona and Pete Fusco were among those in attendance.

The first day's activity pared 40 at large players down to 16, who were to play the 16 seeded players on day two. 13 of 16 seeds were victorious, the casualties being Ronnie Allen, Mike Sigel and "Cornbread Red". Allen lost to Ralph Carnes, a newcomer to major tournament competition, while Mike Sigel was bested in a thrilling match by Johnny Ervolino. "Cornbread" was defeated by Roger Griffis.

Third day action featured a field of 16 with no giant surprises. Steve Cook defeated "Bugs" Rucker, 5 to 3, in an especially well-played match and Steve Mizerak edged Bill Incardona, 5 games to 4. The best match, already being talked about as a classic, perhaps the greatest one-pocket match ever, saw Nick Varner defeat Jimmy Fusco 5 to 4.

It was time for the semi-finals: Cook vs. Hopkins and Mizerak vs. Varner. In the former, it reached 4 to 1 in favor of Hopkins and it appeared that it was all over for Steve Cook. Cook, however, had other ideas. One game at a time, with brilliant tactical play and innovative offense, he clawed his way back into the match at 4-4. In game 9, Hopkins and Cook battled until the score was 3 balls each. Cook faced a cross corner bank that was made all the more difficult because 2 balls were wedged deep in Hopkins' pocket. Cook calmly ripped the 9 ball cross the corner, ran out and prepared himself for the finals.

In the other semi-final game, Varner never seemed to get going against an inspired Steve Mizerak. He lost 5 games to 2.

It was time for the grand finale of "The Legends of One Pocket", although it seemed that anything would be anticlimactic after the sterling play of the first three days. What was wrong here? Fans were rapt, delighted with the time-honored and very difficult pursuit of one pocket. Cook and Mizerak! In South Philly! To sell-out crowds! In a well-played contest, Cook proved to be too much for the talented Mizerak and he ultimately prevailed, 5 games to 2.

Order of Finish:
Code:
1    Steve Cook			$10,000
2    Steve Mizerak		  6,000
3-4  Allen Hopkins 		  3,500
     Nick Varner		  3,500
5-8  Buddy Hall			  1,500
     Danny Diliberto		  1,500
     Pete Fusco			  1,500
     Jimmy Fusco 		  1,500
9-16 "Bugs" Rucker		  1,000
     Grady Mathews		  1,000
     Ralph Carnes		  1,000
     Roger Griffis		  1,000
     John Ervolino		  1,000
     Bill Incardona		  1,000
     Jim Rempe			  1,000
     Mike LeBron		  1,000
The "Legends" events have pooldom abuzz, as one pocket has proven it can stand up to 9 ball or any other pocket billiard game - knowledgeable fans are calling these events the best pool tournaments ever and there is no abatement in sight. A $250,000 added event is scheduled for late 1992, along with the Columbia, S.C. tournament and a return to Philadelphia.

The hosts and promoters, Jimmy Fusco and Grady Mathews, wish to thank the sponsors: Murrey Tables (the equipment was superb), Simonis Cloth, South Philly Billiards, Joss East Cues, Meucci Cues, Tim Scruggs Cues, Black Boar Cues, Huebler Cues, Helmstetter Cues and Centennial Cases.

MY NOTES:

[*There were 56 players registered but Cicero Murphy did not show up due to illness]

[** It was a $300 entry fee, with $20,000 added. The payouts add up to $37,000 so either the sponsors coughed up additional $500 or the actual payouts for the 9-16th place were $937.50, not $1,000]

Last edited:

stedyfred

Verified Member
I'm sure that Mike Sigel would remember this tournament. During his match with R. Casanzio here is what occurred; Casanzio was at the table and leaned in over the table briefly then Ron moved back slightly. When he moved back the big box light over the table came crashing down, play was stopped, and the lights were restrung. When play resumed and Sigel was at the table he got over his shot but was also looking above him at the light and naturally he was concerned. I don't know to this day if Casanzio realizes how lucky he was that he moved back; it was a split second.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
I'm sure that Mike Sigel would remember this tournament. During his match with R. Casanzio here is what occurred; Casanzio was at the table and leaned in over the table briefly then Ron moved back slightly. When he moved back the big box light over the table came crashing down, play was stopped, and the lights were restrung. When play resumed and Sigel was at the table he got over his shot but was also looking above him at the light and naturally he was concerned. I don't know to this day if Casanzio realizes how lucky he was that he moved back; it was a split second.

Thanks for the info, stedyfred. At the risk of being picky, could it be that Ron played Steve Cook (rather than Mike) in that match ? This was a single elimination and Mike lost to Johnny Ervolino in the last 32 (I have a DVD of that match). Per the tourney results in my first post, Ron and Mike could not have played each other in this tourney. Thanks again.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Thanks for the info, stedyfred. At the risk of being picky, could it be that Ron played Steve Cook (rather than Mike) in that match ? This was a single elimination and Mike lost to Johnny Ervolino in the last 32 (I have a DVD of that match). Per the tourney results in my first post, Ron and Mike could not have played each other in this tourney. Thanks again.

I have a few of those matches from that tourney, including the finals, but I wasn't really aware of the format.. So it seems that Mike Sigel and 15 others were seeded and did not play until the other at large players got down to 16, and then those 32 also played single elim the rest of the way.. And in the first round of the last 32, 13 of those guys that were seeded, won... Now the three that lost were Mike, Cornbread, and Ronnie Allen..That's pretty strong... Did you see that tournament where the roof of the building had a slow dripping leak, and someone put a bucket up there above the drop ceiling that was supported very weakly, maybe by just a ceiling tile piece and it came crashing down right in the bleachers.. Incredibly it missed everyone, but if it had hit somebody in the head, it could have killed them.. I forgot who was playing.. "INCOMING" DAMN...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have a few of those matches from that tourney, including the finals, but I wasn't really aware of the format.. So it seems that Mike Sigel and 15 others were seeded and did not play until the other at large players got down to 16, and then those 32 also played single elim the rest of the way.. And in the first round of the last 32, 13 of those guys that were seeded, won... Now the three that lost were Mike, Cornbread, and Ronnie Allen..That's pretty strong... Did you see that tournament where the roof of the building had a slow dripping leak, and someone put a bucket up there above the drop ceiling that was supported very weakly, maybe by just a ceiling tile piece and it came crashing down right in the bleachers.. Incredibly it missed everyone, but if it had hit somebody in the head, it could have killed them.. I forgot who was playing.. "INCOMING" DAMN...

I was right there in the Accustats arena at DCC when that happened -- but fortunately across the room! Yes, like a drywall bucket or something, and when it got full enough it came down right into an empty spot in the bleachers!!!

stedyfred

Verified Member
I do not know the format for the event; I watched Ervollino win his match with Sigel. I stand by my recollection of the light incident Casanzio, Sigel.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Ratamon,

There was an event at South Philly Billiards held within a year or two either way of this event. That event brings to memory this occurrence.
I remember Efren and Jimmy Fusco put on an Exhibition on the back table which had very tight pockets. What I remember mostly about that event was one particular game of this exhibition where they got down to one ball on the table. They went back and forth for the better part of a hour, maybe longer, with that single ball coming close but never in. First one pocket than the other. Each clearing the ball with excellent results.

Many people got bored watching this single ball refuse to fall for one of these two champions, not me. I was fascinated by each player's skill at sending the ball so near to falling. Many times doing so from positions at the time I hadn't thought possible. The clearing of this ball and the control of the cue ball was also done so adeptly that the only response left was a defensive one. I don't recall who won this game. For me it didn't matter. They were both winners in my estimation.

Needless to say, I learned an incredible late inning One Pocket lesson that day.
I wonder if anyone on this site was there and has the same memory.

Tom

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Legends of One Pocket II (Philadelphia style) 1991

Ratamon,

There was an event at South Philly Billiards held within a year or two either way of this event. That event brings to memory this occurrence.
I remember Efren and Jimmy Fusco put on an Exhibition on the back table which had very tight pockets. What I remember mostly about that event was one particular game of this exhibition where they got down to one ball on the table. They went back and forth for the better part of a hour, maybe longer, with that single ball coming close but never in. First one pocket than the other. Each clearing the ball with excellent results.

Many people got bored watching this single ball refuse to fall for one of these two champions, not me. I was fascinated by each player's skill at sending the ball so near to falling. Many times doing so from positions at the time I hadn't thought possible. The clearing of this ball and the control of the cue ball was also done so adeptly that the only response left was a defensive one. I don't recall who won this game. For me it didn't matter. They were both winners in my estimation.

Needless to say, I learned an incredible late inning One Pocket lesson that day.

Tom

I was not there Tom but I have heard this game talked about around here!! Cool to hear that you were there.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK

Now you mentioned Jimmy B I do recall seeing this incident on one of the Accu-stats Greatest shots and bloopers tapes. I should be able to dig it out to see which tournament it was

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Ratamon,

Tom

Wow! Great story Tom. Keep them coming guys!