Playing the score

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I know there must be many fine points and distinctions to the canon that states, "You have to play the score." Does this mean you suddenly become a gopher when the ball count favors your opponent? Can you still have patience and try to trap your opponent? What kind of strategy would 7 to 1 dictate that would be different from, say, 6 to 4? What are the different strategies and ways of looking at the game when the score favors you? I think this could teach a lot of us. I know there is more to it than, "Play like a lamb when you are ahead and play like a Lion when you are behind."

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Playing the score

Better players especially can still win games playing safe when they are behind because there is so much better chance that the weaker player will make a mistake. The more patient you want to play when you are behind the better you need to control the cue ball.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I know there must be many fine points and distinctions to the canon that states, "You have to play the score." Does this mean you suddenly become a gopher when the ball count favors your opponent? Can you still have patience and try to trap your opponent? What kind of strategy would 7 to 1 dictate that would be different from, say, 6 to 4? What are the different strategies and ways of looking at the game when the score favors you? I think this could teach a lot of us. I know there is more to it than, "Play like a lamb when you are ahead and play like a Lion when you are behind."

When ahead big, get'em all uptable and battle one ball at a time.
When behind try for a few or more on the spot or down table where you might get a lucky roll or an unlucky scratch by your opponent. You can then pick your spot for a gofer shot. :)
Rod.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I've won a few times when I was down 7-0. I've also lost when up big.

I think the key is when down, only shoot a lower percentage shot when you can get back into the game with that shot. Let's say your down 7-1 and have a 10% shot but you can get five balls if you make it. I'll shoot that shot if I can still get fairly safe if I miss.

beatle

Verified Member
actually if you arent way better than your opponent you would shoot the 10% chance shot which will get you five balls even if it is a sellout shot if you miss.

unless the balls are very good for you and you expect a better chance at that many balls in the next few turns.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
One of the things some people don't seem to ever consider,is that future games have their tone set, and expectations are formed by previous games.
If I have 7 balls the first game we play and I continue to shoot at the balls without changing my strategy.
I have shown my opponent not only that game but every following game to never get discouraged if I am ahead because chances are , he will have opportunities to steal games.
If, on the other hand, once I have the best of the game, I start taking balls out of play and never leave anything to even take a flyer at, most people start to get discouraged and would rather not expend a lot of energy on that game that is almost lost anyway, and they would rather get it behind them and get a new game going, where they can do the same to me.
That is exactly how I you want them to think, You are controlling the game .
This is a simplified example and one that most people have already thought of, there are many more concepts that even really good players never seem to grasp, they probably know of them because someone told them.
But they just don't believe they are as strong as they were made out to be or they don'have the patience required to put them to their best use.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
MakE him win it. I see way too many bad choices backed by"I needed balls". Something happened for him to get them! Trap him and make omething happen for you.

How about the old 6 or 7 to 0 or -something? Admit u can lose and have fun from there. Giving in a quick win negates you. Grind him out and have fun, and things might happen for you...

Too many times when Ive held a whopping lead with balls tied up ill leave a rough shot Hoping hell take it. Desperation leads to things.

A move is stronger than a ball. Ahead or behind. Look for a good move regardless. Just my opinion. Rythm and fun go together. Too deep a thought cancels them both out.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hey newfosgatessucks
how ya doin???(ok to pm me)
merry christmas and happy new year to you and your loved ones
glad to see you come around the neighborhood some
:)
larry

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
MakE him win it. I see way too many bad choices backed by"I needed balls". Something happened for him to get them! Trap him and make omething happen for you.

How about the old 6 or 7 to 0 or -something? Admit u can lose and have fun from there. Giving in a quick win negates you. Grind him out and have fun, and things might happen for you...

Too many times when Ive held a whopping lead with balls tied up ill leave a rough shot Hoping hell take it. Desperation leads to things.

A move is stronger than a ball. Ahead or behind. Look for a good move regardless. Just my opinion. Rythm and fun go together. Too deep a thought cancels them both out.

I agree with you, Foss. I'm no authority, but you said it better than I ever could have. Actually, everyone has contributed valuable insight. This is a pretty deep subject.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
One thing that I have had to learn several times is how to tighten up with a big lead. Im tempted to think "I only need one" and take a dumb shot, which lets my opponent creep back into the game.

The most painful of these lessons came against Henry (patch eye). It was my first 1p tournament and was a race to 2 format. It was hill-hill and I was up 7-2 or 3. I took an absolute flyer on the 8, smelling victory....... Until I lost!!! Lol.

I think I'm learning it finally but that experience belongs in this thread I think.