gorrina cloth

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Can anyone comment how the Gorrina cloth banks? I have been watching some IPT matches and it seems like it would be very grabby. And if you consider they are playing on Diamonds, I bet it made for some interesting banks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I've always preferred Granito Basalt over Simonis 860 because it seems to wear longer, and doesn't "tuft" up as Simonis seems to. I've always heard that Granito had a higher wool content than Simonis, but recently a tech from Diamond told me that Simonis has more wool. Not sure how to find out the real facts.

As far as banking, my guess is that they'd play the same. However my sense is that whichever has more wool would tend to cause the angles to shorten more than the other if the cloth is wet or in humid conditions. Honestly I've never heard a player who noticed the difference between the two. Guys playing on Granito think they're playing on Simonis.

They're both worsted and very fine cloths. I was surprised to learn that Granito has been around longer than has Simonis. Evidently Simonis was able to capitalize on the American tournament scene early on.

Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Dunno if were talking about the same thing. The IPT cloth was definitely called "Gorina" and it was a traditional, slow nap cloth. I'm assuming the slowness came from texture, and if this same.cloth was on the rails, would affect banking.

I've always pwreferred Granito Basalt over Simonis 860 because it seems to wear longer, and doesn't "tuft" up as Simonis seems to. I've always heard that Granito had a higher wool content than Simonis, but recently a tech from Diamond told me that Simonis has more wool. Not sure how to find out the real facts.

As far as banking, my guess is that they'd play the same. However my sense is that whichever has more wool would tend to cause the angles to shorten more than the other if the cloth is wet or in humid conditions. Honestly I've never heard a player who noticed the difference between the two. Guys playing on Granito think they're playing on Simonis.

They're both worsted and very fine cloths. I was surprised to learn that Granito has been around longer than has Simonis. Evidently Simonis was able to capitalize on the American tournament scene early on.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Presumably Gorina is the company name, which makes several types of billiard/pool cloths. The Gorina Granito style features 3-4 different types (2000, A, M, etc). Sounds like the one you mentioned is one of their slower, nappier cloths.

Doc

P.S. Yes, the IPT purposely used the old style, nappy cloth to challenge the professional's strokes. I believe that was one of Mike Sigel's nutty ideas.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Presumably Gorina is the company name, which makes several types of billiard/pool cloths. The Gorina Granito style features 3-4 different types (2000, A, M, etc). Sounds like the one you mentioned is one of their slower, nappier cloths.

Doc

P.S. Yes, the IPT purposely used the old style, nappy cloth to challenge the professional's strokes. I believe that was one of Mike Sigel's nutty ideas.

I see. Thank you. I believe the underside of the cushions said "2000."

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Back in the late 80's I went to a pro-tour event at a hotel in Phoenix. All the tables had Granito. From what I remember it was just a fast as Simonis but had nap. The cue ball drew like there was no tomorrow. My guess is it would bank a little shorter.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Back in the late 80's I went to a pro-tour event at a hotel in Phoenix. All the tables had Granito. From what I remember it was just a fast as Simonis but had nap. The cue ball drew like there was no tomorrow. My guess is it would bank a little shorter.

The Gorina used at the IPT rolled slower than any cloth I have seen. Curious on how it banked. Maybe the Beard knows?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Gorina used at the IPT rolled slower than any cloth I have seen. Curious on how it banked. Maybe the Beard knows?

I aint sure. I know that Granita cloth is made by Gorina, and Granito #2000 is as fast a pool cloth as there is. We used to play on that at the old Billiard Cafe in Chicago.

Beard

Last edited:

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Gorina manufactures their IPT Tournament cloth specifically for the IPT. When IPT adopted it, their press release (see quote below) indicated that only the very best players would be able to master it. By most accounts it, plays incredibly slow and is very similar to the cloth us geezers first learned on 50 years ago. It is light years away from the Tournament 2000, which is very similar to Simonis 760.

From the 2006 IPT press release:

"The finest quality, slow nap woolen cloth is what the IPT Professional Players play on during the major tournaments. Gorina IPT Tournament Cloth is the most difficult cloth in the world on which to master playing, and one of the most difficult cloths to manufacture. Only the longest strands of wool fiber are expertly woven to create this traditional slow-nap cloth. Playing on this cloth requires having a superior stroke and the best mechanics, which is why the IPT uses it and why only the best players in the world excel on it. Room owners who choose this tournament cloth for their tables will be giving their customers a taste of what life is like on the IPT tour!"

Last edited: