Butsty/efren smokin again

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't see much except to soft roll into his left side of the 10-ball, leaving the cue near Busty's pocket.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
It appears that the ball closest to the CB can be two-railed to Efren's pocket while holding the CB against the long side rail allowing no shot to the opponent.:D

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
High karate the 9 to break up the cluster and leave QB on bottom rail. Unless the 4 cuts in and inside english to spin the QB to get behind those balls on Bustys side

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Unless the 4 cuts in and inside english to spin the QB to get behind those balls on Bustys side

I think that shot is there (inside draw) but awfully demanding CB. I'm guessing Efren shot the two-rail. Good chance the cluster blocks the path to take out the four if he misses.

However, I just noticed that if the cluster blocks the path to a 4 ball by Efren's pocket, it probably blocks to let Busty shoot the 1-12 combo with impunity.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like a shot here that may seem some what haphazard but it's actually a well planned out option. However, the cue ball needs to be 1-1/2" or more off the top rail for me to feel comfortable with the execution of the shot, allow me to explain. I like shooting the 1ball into the rail to clip the 12ball on the outside of the ball and draw the cue ball back toward the top rail. Lets examine the many different results with this option.

#1. You can hit the shot perfectly and send the balls to your side of the table and the cue ball near the top rail. Excellent result.

#2. You can narrowly miss the 12ball with the 1ball and then the 1ball will possibly bank off the side rail then off the bottom rail back up table off the top rail then toward your pocket, leaving the cue ball near the top rail straight in on the 12ball for your opponent. Good result.

#3. You can shoot the 1ball into the 12ball hitting the 12ball thickly, and still get positive movement from both balls, drawing the cue ball near the top rail. more good things can happen for you then against you with this type of hit. Good result

#4. You can miss the 12ball and hit the bottom rail with the 1ball sending it into the back or side of the 10ball. I see some good things happening with this hit and some not so good things happening, however, as long as you draw the cue ball back toward the top rail your opponent will have to earn what he gets. Not terribly bad results.

The key to the shot is drawing the cue ball back to the top rail. You're close enough to the 1ball to hit it reasonably well, I like the gamble here.

I like this option a lot from this position, try it, I believe you'll like it as well.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
The high karate shot is pretty cool from here, but the score is just 2-3 and even Efren probably doesn't know where the clustered balls are going to end up. Certainly doesn't seem clear that they will end up favoring Efren. Overall, that seems a bit loose, especially when Busty is likely to be the first one to get to a shot.

Maybe bank the 9 soft into the cluster, and leave the cue ball under the 10? The goal is to just pop the 8 ball out a bit. Playing 98% cue ball, you might miss the cluster, but that should still be an improvement.

If I could get the tip low enough on the cueball, I might muscle the 10 into the 9 ball to clear them both, stunning the cueball over to the side rail and then down to the foot rail.

Cory

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I like a shot here that may seem some what haphazard but it's actually a well planned out option. However, the cue ball needs to be 1-1/2" or more off the top rail for me to feel comfortable with the execution of the shot, allow me to explain. I like shooting the 1ball into the rail to clip the 12ball on the outside of the ball and draw the cue ball back toward the top rail. Lets examine the many different results with this option.

#1. You can hit the shot perfectly and send the balls to your side of the table and the cue ball near the top rail. Excellent result.

#2. You can narrowly miss the 12ball with the 1ball and then the 1ball will possibly bank off the side rail then off the bottom rail back up table off the top rail then toward your pocket, leaving the cue ball near the top rail straight in on the 12ball for your opponent. Good result.

#3. You can shoot the 1ball into the 12ball hitting the 12ball thickly, and still get positive movement from both balls, drawing the cue ball near the top rail. more good things can happen for you then against you with this type of hit. Good result

#4. You can miss the 12ball and hit the bottom rail with the 1ball sending it into the back or side of the 10ball. I see some good things happening with this hit and some not so good things happening, however, as long as you draw the cue ball back toward the top rail your opponent will have to earn what he gets. Not terribly bad results.

The key to the shot is drawing the cue ball back to the top rail. You're close enough to the 1ball to hit it reasonably well, I like the gamble here.

I like this option a lot from this position, try it, I believe you'll like it as well.

Dr. Bill

Yipes, I might save that shot for another occasion but not now playing this guy. I think the one ball is too close to the rail to try to direct it to hit the twelve as desired. If the twelve is hit to full the one might stay there.

I fully understand the logic in the shot to draw the cue back limiting his options but if you don't get something near your hole it could be dangerous. I'm playing off the ten ball that near his hole and wait, hoping for a better opportunity.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I like the idea of your shot Billy -- a lot of good things could happen with it and it addresses the problem of those three balls surrounding Busty's pocket.

Also, darmoose, if that two-railer on the 4-ball lies right to hold the cue ball there and get the 4-ball reasonably close to my hole I like to think I would have seen that if it was real life at the table. I did not notice it on the computer monitor however; good eye if it lies right because it could put a threat on your side. But even if it turns out reasonably well, Busty is liable to roll up on the 1-ball next however, or do something else that takes advantage of his triple threat. Or possibly the 4-ball lands where Busty can do something with it to turn it into a new problem (say for example if the 4-ball lands on the bottom rail -- because from where you are planning to leave the cue ball, Efren would have a clear shot to soft kick off the side rail behind the 4).

Otherwise, I'm sticking with the simple shot off the side of the 10-ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There doesn't seem to be enough space to cue the CB low enough to draw it back for any of the down table shots. The 4-ball twice across will likely come up short on a Diamond, plus it would be difficult to leave the CB anywhere that the opponent wouldn't have a reasonable shot.

One never knows what shot Efren might pull out of his hat, but if it were me, I'd have to thin the 10 ball with a little left english, and bop the 12 (?) away on the way out. The 10 could be simply cut toward the hole or it could be caromed off the 9.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like a shot here that may seem some what haphazard but it's actually a well planned out option. However, the cue ball needs to be 1-1/2" or more off the top rail for me to feel comfortable with the execution of the shot, allow me to explain. I like shooting the 1ball into the rail to clip the 12ball on the outside of the ball and draw the cue ball back toward the top rail. Dr. Bill

This is the only doable shot I see. I wouldn't want to give up while being passive. Shoot'em hard and wish'em well :)
Rod.
P.S. I'd be shooting the 1ball and hoping it hits the 12 ball (anywhere)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Butsty/efren smokin again

This is the only doable shot I see. I wouldn't want to give up while being passive. Shoot'em hard and wish'em well :)
Rod.

It is true that a lot of good things can happen if You catch that 12. I'm with you and the good Dr.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Im stumped so I would probably do what Island Drive suggests.
You know Big Truck really has to make this available for us to buy.
It looks like a winner.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Billy Incardonas shot to dangerous. Also 2 railing the 4 ball is no good unless you hang it and what are the odds of that... Im playing a basic 9 ball safety here. Knocking the stripe to the right of the 9 ball up table and having the cue ball come off the end rail and freeze to the back of the 12 ball. Just cut the object ball a little with left english and your opponent has zero...

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
My first inclination was to cut the one ball down the long rail and take out the stripe and possibly move balls towards my hole, draw back to the head rail by the four. One things for sure I never pocket combinations :p

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Rod.

Yeah, I didn't see Billy's shot before but I think I'm convinced. It's the shot with the best upside:downside ratio. And when in doubt, I always lean towards the shot that might intimidate someone if I pull it off.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It appears that the ball closest to the CB can be two-railed to Efren's pocket while holding the CB against the long side rail allowing no shot to the opponent.:D

good eye....:)
efren did just that
heres how he left it for bustamonte
be3.jpg

be4.jpg

keoneyo

Verified Member
I presume Bustamante shot the 1 ball lightly into striped ball near his hole and stopped the rock. Blocking Efren from seeing the 4 ball