sylver/scott

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I am with Mr Sparks in this one 👍

I like shooting off the 15ball and sending the cue ball to the top rail then to the side rail. As long as I protect the 8ball this shot will yield a good next shot. This option is simple to execute with little to no downside.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I am with Mr Sparks in this one 👍

I would be too, Mitch if I thought I was sure to control the cue ball under the three. Pull it off and you've got a hell of a trap working. As close as the cue ball is to the cushion if I don't get the desired result I might end up in the trap. I'm not taking that chance at this stage of the game. You guys obviously have more confidence in your cue ball control than I do when jacked up off the rail.

Tom

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
If I would not have read the other shots, my shot would have been the same as Jeff / Mitch....with Dr. Bill's shot I like it but I am a little afraid that if I dont get the CB in a good place, I may leave the 4 ball and a way for him to shoot a 2 way.

After reading the shots, Tom's seems the easiest to execute and you remove the 3 from being a threat.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
sylver/scott

I like shooting off the 15ball and sending the cue ball to the top rail then to the side rail. As long as I protect the 8ball this shot will yield a good next shot. This option is simple to execute with little to no downside.

Dr. Bill

Good shot as well, Dr, But if I can see the 4 to my hole after your shot it looks like it's natural to get to the long rail and kick out the 8. (Could scratch, yes, but with a shot with natural po I may just like it).

youngstown

Verified Member
sylver/scott

I like shooting the six into the three and clearing them both while sticking the rock. No risk here yet very effective.

Tom
Didn't notice there was room, if I was at the table I would have probably seen this before seeing the play off the 9b...don't tell my wife, but I like the easy ones...

yk

youngstown

Verified Member
sylver/scott

Dr. Bill
I'm sure I could find a way to scratch in the side :(

yk

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I like shooting the six into the three and clearing them both while sticking the rock. No risk here yet very effective.

Tom

Tom,
I looked at this shot first and also thought about shooting it, then reconsidered because I thought I would be surrendering a superior table position to an up table game and decided against it when I saw a shot that had the potential to move a soldier from his scoring quadrant into mine and also preserve and protect a favorable position.

The shot does not appear overly risky to me, it's a fairly straight forward low left draw off the 9 ball to a large area on the side rail. It would be difficult IMO to over draw this shot and scratch in the corner or hit the 9 so poorly as to bound off the side rail far enough to sell out. Perfection ( under the 3 ) would of course be the ideal placement for the CB, however the shot still preserves the integrity of the position from any number of spots, just not as well as behind the 3 ball.

You told me that when deciding upon a shot that it was always prudent to weigh the risk reward value and match it to your particular skill set. This shot falls within my capabilities and I see more value than risk...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tom,
I looked at this shot first and also thought about shooting it, then reconsidered because I thought I would be surrendering a superior table position to an up table game and decided against it when I saw a shot that had the potential to move a soldier from his scoring quadrant into mine and also preserve and protect a favorable position.

The shot does not appear overly risky to me, it's a fairly straight forward low left draw off the 9 ball to a large area on the side rail. It would be difficult IMO to over draw this shot and scratch in the corner or hit the 9 so poorly as to bound off the side rail far enough to sell out. Perfection ( under the 3 ) would of course be the ideal placement for the CB, however the shot still preserves the integrity of the position from any number of spots, just not as well as behind the 3 ball.

You told me that when deciding upon a shot that it was always prudent to weigh the risk reward value and match it to your particular skill set. this shot falls within my capabilities and I see more value than risk...
i thought i would high lite this gem of advice (bolded above)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom,

You told me that when deciding upon a shot that it was always prudent to weigh the risk reward value and match it to your particular skill set. This shot falls within my capabilities and I see more value than risk...

Jeff, there is no question about it. If your skill level leaves you capable of pulling off your shot a very high percentage of the time, you will have preformed maybe the most effective shot on the table. I just think you had better get the cue ball close to the foot rail. If you don't and you allow your opponent to see the (five?), you will probably find yourself locked up even tight on the one ball and in deeper than the wreck of the Titanic. Just getting the cue ball to the side rail will not be enough. That being said, if I felt good about that two rail shot on the nine and knew I would leave the rock on the foot rail, that would be my choice too.

Tom

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Two rail the 9 ball over to your side and draw the CB to the side rail and under the solid on the foot rail.

Because Scott can execute these types of shots very well, this probably what he shot.

I typically shoot what Dr Bill suggested in this situation, trying to get whitey frozen on his side rail with all the balls blocking the 8 from view. If they want risk shooting from there at the pink 4, I like my chances.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jeff, there is no question about it. If your skill level leaves you capable of pulling off your shot a very high percentage of the time, you will have preformed maybe the most effective shot on the table. I just think you had better get the cue ball close to the foot rail. If you don't and you allow your opponent to see the (five?), you will probably find yourself locked up even tight on the one ball and in deeper than the wreck of the Titanic. Just getting the cue ball to the side rail will not be enough. That being said, if I felt good about that two rail shot on the nine and knew I would leave the rock on the foot rail, that would be my choice too.

Tom

Perfectly said Tom, however, if Jeff is confident he can pull it off then that's the shot for him, he's chosen the most productive option and executed it. Good eye and good luck.:)

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The first shot I saw was banking the 2 ball up and back, and stunning whitey over to the side rail. The 2 might even pocket off the 3.

But the more I looked at Jeff's 9 ball shot, the more I liked it. The first consideration would be to put the CB behind the 7(?) ball near the opponent's pocket-- or at least by the hole. If the 9 2-rails into good position, that's even better.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
The first shot I saw was banking the 2 ball up and back, and stunning whitey over to the side rail. The 2 might even pocket off the 3.

But the more I looked at Jeff's 9 ball shot, the more I liked it. The first consideration would be to put the CB behind the 7(?) ball near the opponent's pocket-- or at least by the hole. If the 9 2-rails into good position, that's even better.

~Doc

I like Jeff's shot too Doc, but I would hesitate because the cue ball is close to the rail and you have to jack up a bit. It is a defensive shot with offensive possibilities if you get a good bump or two with the nine coming down, but if you do not get the cue ball down far enough there is a risk of leaving a shot that might turn the tables IMO.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Tom
good eye tom
enjoy your cookie...:)
scott opted for a beer instead...:rolleyes:
he shot yout shot but followed the q ball
the q skimmed off the 1
and here is how he left sylver

ss11.jpg

ss12.jpg

ss13.jpg