Anybody Seen This Shot?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Not that it's a valid shot in a game, but I was shown this back in the early to mid-80's and can't remember how to hit it.

A player named Jordan Fleetwood showed it to me. He could make it, but at the time, the closest I came was jawing it up a few times.

The 14 ball is frozen to the rail. I remember elevating the cue but I don't remember how high. I also think I remember hitting it with a fairly decent speed, but I'm not sure. I also don't remember how far the cueball was off the rail, but it was off the rail. And I don't know if any english was used.

Looking at it again, the 13 may have been on the first diamond past the side (to the left). I'm not sure.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3Mavh2NayU2PYeU3ppHa2iayU2iayU7iXSC3icIr2kYeU2kaam@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Not that it's a valid shot in a game, but I was shown this back in the early to mid-80's and can't remember how to hit it.

A player named Jordan Fleetwood showed it to me. He could make it, but at the time, the closest I came was jawing it up a few times.

The 14 ball is frozen to the rail. I remember elevating the cue but I don't remember how high. I also think I remember hitting it with a fairly decent speed, but I'm not sure. I also don't remember how far the cueball was off the rail, but it was off the rail. And I don't know if any english was used.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3Mavh2NayU2PYeU3ppHa2iayU2iayU7iXSC3icIr2kYeU2kaam@[/CUETABLE]

Goll-lee, I've never seen this shot, but coulda used it numerous times.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Goll-lee, I've never seen this shot, but coulda used it numerous times.
Rod.

Rod,

I've wanted to post it many times but I figured I'd be accused of using heroin or something. I'm sure that someone has seen it. If I hadn't shot it myself and come close, I wouldn't believe it. Jordan was a good player. He gave me 11-7 back then and I learned a ton from him. He used to go on the road with Bernie Thornwall. Don't know if you know him or not.

I get the feeling that the 14 kind of slides off of the rail and maybe some spin pulls it back to the pocket. I just don't remember.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
I get the feeling that the 14 kind of slides off of the rail and maybe some spin pulls it back to the pocket. I just don't remember.

Dennis

No, what you need for this shot, as you have it set up, is a gaff table that leans to the right....:rolleyes:

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
No, what you need for this shot, as you have it set up, is a gaff table that leans to the right....:rolleyes:

- Ghost

Ghosty,

The shot's on the square. The table is level. I shot it many times while trying to learn it. I'm not sure how far the cueball is off the rail, but it is off the rail.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty,

The shot's on the square. The table is level. I shot it many times while trying to learn it. I'm not sure how far the cueball is off the rail, but it is off the rail.

Dennis
I will give up a ball for that pocket. Its a very big edge.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I will give up a ball for that pocket. Its a very big edge.

Artie,

This shot is not a joke. It's not a shot for a game though. It's too difficult to make. I can't get to a table before monday, but then I am going to the poolroom and shooting this until I make it. I might need a lunch.

I'll bet one of the top trick-shot artists knows how to make it. I thought maybe someone here had seen it through the years.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Artie,

This shot is not a joke. It's not a shot for a game though. It's too difficult to make. I can't get to a table before monday, but then I am going to the poolroom and shooting this until I make it. I might need a lunch.

I'll bet one of the top trick-shot artists knows how to make it. I thought maybe someone here had seen it through the years.

Dennis
Her is the worlds greatest trick shooter. Mike Massey. 435 640 5787. He is the greatest I ever seen in life. And for his one handed game he said the only two people in life that beat him. WAs Jounioer WElden and ME. But if that shot can be made he will be the one to do it. He is GReat Great ANd THe Greatwst. I realy enjoy myself and get intertained every time I watch him. He is unblivebale.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dennis, are you sure that the shot wasn't one of those "double hoppers"-- where the OB gets airborne? Otherwise I don't understand how one could impart masse on an OB. Where the hell is Jewett when he's needed?!

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
shots that go, but don't

shots that go, but don't

gulfportdoc said:
Dennis, are you sure that the shot wasn't one of those "double hoppers"-- where the OB gets airborne? Otherwise I don't understand how one could impart masse on an OB. Where the hell is Jewett when he's needed?!

Doc

Doc, he forgot to mention that the shot was executed on the wei table.:eek:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Doc, he forgot to mention that the shot was executed on the wei table.:eek:
I would realy love to learn the shot if it can be done. I herd of meracale workers. And I have herd of trick object balls that go in and out and around 4 different balls on the rail but I have never herd of this one. And I would enjoy learning it . Just explain to me how you do it. If you can do that with the ball that means you can do many other things with the same shot. And anything this good is worth learning. It would be great to make the ball walk and talk.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc,

It's been 25 years or so since I've even thought it about or shot it so I cannot say for sure. But, I don't remember the ball hopping or jumping. I remember it going around the interference ball. It's close and it's not an easy shot, but it does go. I'm going to shoot it on monday till my arm falls off.

P.S. How many of you reacted with disbelief when someone told you they could shoot the cueball around the 3 in this diagram and make it beat the 3 in the hole? I realize that in my shot it's the object ball curving, but any ball with spin on it curves.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2CbBJ2PbBa2WbBJ3WaTb2kbBa7kWfQ3kcht@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Doc,

It's been 25 years or so since I've even thought it about or shot it so I cannot say for sure. But, I don't remember the ball hopping or jumping. I remember it going around the interference ball. It's close and it's not an easy shot, but it does go. I'm going to shoot it on monday till my arm falls off.

P.S. How many of you reacted with disbelief when someone told you they could shoot the cueball around the 3 in this diagram and make it beat the 3 in the hole? I realize that in my shot it's the object ball curving, but any ball with spin on it curves.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2CbBJ2PbBa2WbBJ3WaTb2kbBa7kWfQ3kcht@[/CUETABLE]
how do you make that shot?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Doc,

Dennis

Dennis, in all my years of playing pool (53yrs) I have never, or have never seen , or never have heard of any player being able to transfer enough english on the object ball to make it swerve and alter it's direction enough to do what you say is possible. And if you know someone that can do it, hook up with him and go on the road.;)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Dennis, in all my years of playing pool (53yrs) I have never, or have never seen , or never have heard of any player being able to transfer enough english on the object ball to make it swerve and alter it's direction enough to do what you say is possible. And if you know someone that can do it, hook up with him and go on the road.;)

Bill,

Don't forget that the object ball is frozen to the rail. It will pick up clockwise spin sliding forward off the rail. And if you hit the cueball with right hand english or spin, you will impart even more clockwise spin to the object ball. Maybe just enough to make it spin back to the pocket. I'll find out on monday when I have a day off.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
The way I make it is with great difficulty. But the trick-shot guys make it in their sleep.
shoot with alot of center right hand spin ? or alittle draw with right hand spin? let us know on tuesday how you made out.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

Don't forget that the object ball is frozen to the rail. It will pick up clockwise spin sliding forward off the rail. And if you hit the cueball with right hand english or spin, you will impart even more clockwise spin to the object ball. Maybe just enough to make it spin back to the pocket. I'll find out on monday when I have a day off.

Dennis
You have lost me with that one. If you put right hand english on the cue ball you will transfer left hand english on the object ball, sending it away from the pocket, right? Can someone help me and explain what i'm overlooking?

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
the shot

the shot

Cowboy Dennis said:

Looking at it again, the 13 may have been on the first diamond past the side (to the left). I'm not sure.

Was this on green baise with a heck of a nap?? 5 1/2 inch corner pockets?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
You have lost me with that one. If you put right hand english on the cue ball you will transfer left hand english on the object ball, sending it away from the pocket, right? Can someone help me and explain what i'm overlooking?

Bill,

After I got up this afternoon and read what I wrote, I was also confused. Please ignore all of my posts made at or slightly after 6 a.m.. That means I just got home from working 12 hrs. and my brain ain't there yet. Sorry.

That said, I just got back from the poolroom where I had absolutely no luck at all in trying to pocket this shot. Except for one time. One time the object ball kind of slid off of the side rail and it looked like the spin would pull it back to the hole but then it hit the interference ball. And I could not duplicate it.

I hit it hard, soft, from different angles, from different object ball placements(on the rail), jacked up, level stroke, different cueball placements and nothing worked.

I'm not done trying to figure it out but I've been thinking about it and maybe the table had newer cloth which allowed the object ball to slide more than bank off of the side rail. I really do not remember.

By the way, I shot it about 75 times, so I gave it a fair shot for today anyway.

Dennis