Splashing the balls

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Yesterday I was playing a tough opponent. He was one game up and he broke the second game. I made a nice shot, and got behind another ball but needed to use the bridge to get over the stack and spin back to his side to get on several more open balls. I used the bridge and hit the shot well, getting right where I wanted. I had two more open balls and the chance to steal this game and even stings up..... and then I dropped the bridge!!! Right into the stack, splashing the game. I moved his head over and hung my head. I’m still muttering about it. The whole day I was annoyed and couldn’t shake the fact that we “should” have been even and he was 2 games up, so I remained distracted and ended up 4 games loser. I should have pulled up that other thread about losing and washed my face and reset, etc. it is a great thread.

So my question is, anyone else ever drop a cue or rake and splash the pack? I can’t be the only one right?

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Never did it and never witnessed it. I have seen a bridge hit 2 balls but not the pack.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Splashing the balls

I was holding it with my left hand which (which has a glove on). Could I blame the glove.. sure. Could I blame the fact that my opponent was in a full conversation a couple feet away the whole time I was shooting... sure (and for a second I did). But the fact is I just had butterfingers at the wrong time!! Ugh!! Lol.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Sure, I have done that. But having no depth perception, I have several times pulled the cue back off the bridge, with a similar result.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Yesterday I was playing a tough opponent. He was one game up and he broke the second game. I made a nice shot, and got behind another ball but needed to use the bridge to get over the stack and spin back to his side to get on several more open balls. I used the bridge and hit the shot well, getting right where I wanted. I had two more open balls and the chance to steal this game and even stings up..... and then I dropped the bridge!!! Right into the stack, splashing the game. I moved his head over and hung my head. I’m still muttering about it. The whole day I was annoyed and couldn’t shake the fact that we “should” have been even and he was 2 games up, so I remained distracted and ended up 4 games loser. I should have pulled up that other thread about losing and washed my face and reset, etc. it is a great thread.

So my question is, anyone else ever drop a cue or rake and splash the pack? I can’t be the only one right?

Maybe my shot wasn't the worst? :lol hahahaha See you soon buddy.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
No the worst was 2 weeks ago when I three fouled at 200 a game. I’m still nauseous over that one.

I have done that, the bad part was I had a easy shot to get out of my third foul and only hit the cue ball half way to it.
The whole room made fun of me the rest of the day.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Splashing the balls

I have done that, the bad part was I had a easy shot to get out of my third foul and only hit the cue ball half way to it.

The whole room made fun of me the rest of the day.

Ugh! Almost the Same. I was thinning off a ball and then to the rail and I hit it so softly that the cue rolled “along” the rail the last 1/8 inch. Agony lol

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Playing Ghost not long ago I was striding confidently to the CB I had just put in great position for my triumphant runout - when the butt of my cue hooked on a pocket point (or something) and pivoted in my hand like a baseball bat, sweeping the CB into several others.

Didn't recover that day.

pj
chgo

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Splashing the balls

Thanks Vapros and Patrick. I feel a bit better. And I learned something.. it’s funny when it happens to Someone else lol.

jay helfert

Verified Member
The funniest one I can remember is when I was a young'un and refereeing a big Straight Pool tourney for the lofty pay of $5 a match (150 point games). Cue Ball Kelly was the head referee and must have been 80 years old by then. I was learning from him how to keep the ball count in my head and all the other little things you needed to know.

So I'm watching him ref a big match between Lassiter and ??, and the other guy scratches after making a ball in the side. Kelly now must spot the ball with a full pack of balls all around the spot. He's wearing those damn white gloves and delicately takes the object ball in one hand, cradling it with his thumb and two fingers. I can see he's having problems steadying his hand as he tries to place the ball in the small opening. With that he drops the ball and it moves like four or five other balls. Poor Cue Ball. He looked so bewildered and Lassiter wouldn't even approach the table. He looked disgusted, just shaking his head back and forth.

I forget what the ruling was, but it took maybe fifteen minutes for the game to resume with Lassiter shooting. All I can remember is feeling sorry for poor old Cue Ball Kelly. I don't think he ever ref'ed another tournament. I quit taking TD jobs at age 70 because I didn't want to go out that way. ;)

unoperro

Verified Member
Funny I can't remember if it was a 8or9 ball trnmnt. I do know it was hill hill for the top of the losers side. Table was ugly with a cluster of 4or5 balls almost dead center. I played 3 or 4 safeties in a row and finally got ball in hand. I stated foul and picked up whitey. As I eyed the mess I was gently tossing whitey up and catching it. All eyes are on this match. I dropped the damn cue ball right on top of the mess. I turned to my opponent and extended my hand. I sheepishly asked if I still got 3rd place or did I have to forfeit it also? The crowd loved it!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
have not done it or seen it either but the bridges at breakers aren't very good. The heads of the bridge are loose on the stick so when I have tried to use it a few times, my shot is always a bad one because the bridge moves on the table while you stroke lol..

I have since played only shots I can reach. :)

chicagomike

Verified Member

I feel your pain brother...I have certainly gone off for extra games after doing something dumb and not being able to get over it.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
have not done it or seen it either but the bridges at breakers aren't very good. The heads of the bridge are loose on the stick so when I have tried to use it a few times, my shot is always a bad one because the bridge moves on the table while you stroke lol..

I have since played only shots I can reach. :)

I bring my own bridge when I am gambling. I just use the head piece on top of my break stick. I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy compared to the old metal bridges.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I bring my own bridge when I am gambling. I just use the head piece on top of my break stick. I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy compared to the old metal bridges.

Me too, i have a Kamui clear bridge knock off. When you are jacked up you can see your tip and where it contacts the cue ball...