Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Verified Member

Default Name That Player

Grady Mathews, in his promotional brochure lists the players that he gambled with in his career. The list is formidable and voluminous. But I have a long list too. So Steve Booth and I are concocting a little promotion/game to stir up the forum a bit. Basically we are asking the forum members to come up with players of some reknown from 1965 to 1990 that I didnt gamble with. The first guy that accumulates ten players I ducked or missed will win a Banking With The Beard T-shirt and a BWTB or The GosPool Book. This wont be easy. There are very few players that I didnt cross swords with. Further details will be posted by Steve very soon.

the Beard
Old 05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Verified Member

Freddie,
Just in time! I was going to order The GosPool and send a photo for you to autograph for me like I did when I ordered BWTB.
How about Don Willis, Al Coslosky, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter, "Cuban Joe" Valdez,Richie "Memhis Flash" Austin, Hubert Cokes, Charlie Brinson, Monroe Brock, Charlie Devalliere, Willie Munson, Dallas West, Pete Margo, Jim Rempe,
Norman Hitchcock, George "Rotation Slim" Hairston, Jimmy Fusco, Mike Carella,Clyde Childress, Benny "The Goose" Conway, Richie Florence, John Hagar, Dave "Super Dave" Williams, Frank McGown, Howard Vickery, Alvin "Titanic Thompson" Thomas, Johnny "Johnny Irish" Lineen, Johnny Vives, Johnny Ervolino, Bill Dunsmore, Ismael "Morro" Paez, Cliff Joyner, Ronnie Wiseman, Danny Medina, Edgar "Shake N Bake" White, Earl Herring, Jay Helfert, Bob Vanover, Seth "Buttermilk" Brown, Ernesto Dominguez, Jimmy Marino, "San Jose" Dick Moran, Jack Colavita, Keith Thompson, Steve Cook, C.J. Wiley, Dave Bollman, Bill Stigall, Don Steele, Howie Pearl, Frank Tullos, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, U.J. Puckett, Harold Worst, Boston Shorty Larry Johnson, Mike Eufemia, Joe Canton, Glen Womack, Jay Swanson, George Rood, Earl Heisler, Earl Shriver, Nick Vlahos, Dick Lane, Larry Hubbart, Larry Price, James Walden, "King Kong" Cahvez, Bill Stephen, Mike Massey, James Evans.
I'll add some more later. I'm going to be late picking up the kids.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Verified Member

Default Very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
Freddie,
Just in time! I was going to order The GosPool and send a photo for you to autograph for me like I did when I ordered BWTB.
How about Don Willis, Al Coslosky, Irving Crane, Luther Lassiter, "Cuban Joe" Valdez,Richie "Memhis Flash" Austin, Hubert Cokes, Charlie Brinson, Monroe Brock, Charlie Devalliere, Willie Munson, Dallas West, Pete Margo, Jim Rempe,
Norman Hitchcock, George "Rotation Slim" Hairston, Jimmy Fusco, Mike Carella,Clyde Childress, Benny "The Goose" Conway, Richie Florence, John Hagar, Dave "Super Dave" Williams, Frank McGown, Howard Vickery, Alvin "Titanic Thompson" Thomas, Johnny "Johnny Irish" Lineen, Johnny Vives, Johnny Ervolino, Bill Dunsmore, Ismael "Morro" Paez, Cliff Joyner, Ronnie Wiseman, Danny Medina, Edgar "Shake N Bake" White, Earl Herring, Jay Helfert, Bob Vanover, Seth "Buttermilk" Brown, Ernesto Dominguez, Jimmy Marino, "San Jose" Dick Moran, Jack Colavita, Keith Thompson, Steve Cook, C.J. Wiley, Dave Bollman, Bill Stigall, Don Steele, Howie Pearl, Frank Tullos, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, U.J. Puckett, Harold Worst, Boston Shorty Larry Johnson, Mike Eufemia, Joe Canton, Glen Womack, Jay Swanson, George Rood, Earl Heisler, Earl Shriver, Nick Vlahos, Dick Lane, Larry Hubbart, Larry Price, James Walden, "King Kong" Cahvez, Bill Stephen, Mike Massey, James Evans.
I'll add some more later. I'm going to be late picking up the kids.

I will concede you the ones that I boldened. The others I either played or are too much of a stretch or are strictly straight pool players.
Charlie Brinson, Bill Dunsmore, Earl Herring, Don Steele, Howie Pearl, Frank Tullos, Nick Vlahos, Bill Stephen, Seth Brown, Dave Williams. Dont know them.

Don Willis, 1965 pretty much retired. Rotation Slim, in his 80's in the 60's. Titanic Thompson, in his 70's in the 60s. Johnny Irish, dead in 1962. Johnny Vives, was doped out and wouldnt play me on the 5x10 in his own joint. James Evans? He fought in the Civil War. George Rood? Never left Ohio after 50s. Jimmy Moore? Way over the hill in 1965.

the Beard
Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
I will concede you the ones that I boldened. The others I either played or are too much of a stretch or are strictly straight pool players.
Charlie Brinson, Bill Dunsmore, Earl Herring, Don Steele, Howie Pearl, Frank Tullos, Nick Vlahos, Bill Stephen, Seth Brown, Dave Williams. Dont know them.

Don Willis, 1965 pretty much retired. Rotation Slim, in his 80's in the 60's. Titanic Thompson, in his 70's in the 60s. Johnny Irish, dead in 1962. Johnny Vives, was doped out and wouldnt play me on the 5x10 in his own joint. James Evans? He fought in the Civil War. George Rood? Never left Ohio after 50s. Jimmy Moore? Way over the hill in 1965.

the Beard
Nick was one of the top pool talents to ever develop up here in the Boston area. Early on he was called Nick 'The Indian' -- although he wasn't very Indian, at least I don't think he was... Spent some time on the road when he was young, but I'm not sure how far he ranged.

Unfortunately, he quit pool for about ten years, that would have been his prime years. He told me he got disallusioned when he was called to the poolroom to play some guy, when he was home in bed tangling with a good looking girl. He did get out of bed and went to the poolroom, which turned out to be a disappointment. That experience pissed him off enough that he pretty much quit, until he came out of retirement to dabble in the newly formed Joss Tour.

Triple unfortunately, he died just a few years later from a brain tumour -- he was way too young. Wicked nice guy, too.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Verified Member

Default Harry "The Hook"?

Freddie, was the "New York Harry" Cohen you referred to also known as Harry "The Hook"? There was a New York Harry who used to gamble around L.A. in the 60's who played all cue games strong. That may have been Cohen. I know he was Jewish. He knew well Hollywood Jack, Louie "The Magic Man" St. Pierre, and all the other usual suspects. Anyway, I wondered if it was the same guy.

You must have played Hollywood Jack. How about Phillipino Gene Ventura up in the SF Bay area?

Doc
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Verified Member

Default Harry Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Freddie, was the "New York Harry" Cohen you referred to also known as Harry "The Hook"? There was a New York Harry who used to gamble around L.A. in the 60's who played all cue games strong. That may have been Cohen. I know he was Jewish. He knew well Hollywood Jack, Louie "The Magic Man" St. Pierre, and all the other usual suspects. Anyway, I wondered if it was the same guy.

You must have played Hollywood Jack. How about Phillipino Gene Ventura up in the SF Bay area?

Doc
Im not sure if its the same guy, Doc. Harry was a real creep, much disliked. Played real good 3 cushion and real good 1 handed 3 cush. Decent 1 pocket. I must have played Hollywood Jack, but I dont seem to remember doing it. He played at Celebrity Billiards right? If so, I had to have played him. Phillipino Gene and I never got down.
the Beard
Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Verified Member

Gene "The Glove" Catron is on the list, so I thought I would post a pic, hope nobody minds. He was always around the pool rooms in Tampa back in day.

My gallery; http://www.onepocket.org/forum/album.php?albumid=3
Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Verified Member

Nice shirt, Glove.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM

Question Freddie vs ????

What about Cicero Murphy ?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Verified Member

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffryK
What about Cicero Murphy ?
Only in a 1pkt tournament in Johnston City in 1972. I ran 8 and out 4 games in a row. I was a 5 to 1 underdog.

the Beard