Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Ha! That's a riot. Buddy was playing championship one-pocket when Scott was still trying to figure out how to get laid for the first time...

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Frost became a world beater in 1P until the mid 2000's.

~Doc
He beat Keith McCready a set for 10k at The Cue Club in Vegas in the early 2000's and really jumped up after that.

It was seven ahead and Keith won the first 4/5 in a row and it looked like Scott was done, but he turned it around and got the cash.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 PM
mr3cushion's Avatar
mr3cushion mr3cushion is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 6,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
LS John, you are correct. Not only that, his 8-and-outs are a beautiful mix of nine-ball strokes mixed in with smart straight pool breakouts. The DVD is worth it for one shot alone, which is a nasty, three-cushion type shot - Incardona (and the crowd) go apeshit! Even Mr. 3C would have to tip his hat for this reverse English position play. I think Incardona refers to it as "some alien monster English shot." (It is one of those situations where Reyes gets out of line where most players would still be in line. It is also one of those situations where Reyes brings the damn goods to get back in line. This is, after all, why we like to watch him!) I have hundreds of videos and this one is a keeper!

You will find better duels between combatants, but you will not find a better single performance than this.

Oh, and nearly all those 98 Legends matches are great!
FYI, Efren and I have played once, there was a spot involved! He and I because of OUR "Carom"backgrounds do look at pocket billiards in a VERY similar way, I think we both see and know certain shots that most players don't see and play! It's just that "I" don't play Pool full time, as MANY of the members do!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-19-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Scrzbill Scrzbill is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eagles Rest, Wa
Posts: 3,401
Default

If it is amateurs I have two matches I remember. One was JR Hendy playing Larry Liscotti (sp) at the old California Billiards. The first day John had him befuddled and won, but true to the champion he was, Liscotti came back the next day and won.
The other was a match at the DCC when Jerry Matchin was matched up against Earl. Jerry would have won this match because he outplayed Earl in one pocket but Earl pulled one of his "moves" by denying a scratch because no referee was called to watch the shot. Earl went on to the finals and played the single greatest one pocket game I have ever witnessed. He ran eight and out with seven of his eight out shots coming from balls in the kitchen.
When I was announcing the One Pocket challenge at California billiards one year, Scott Frost played John Schmidt, both on the winners side. The first four games lasted about five minutes, total. Then Scott and John played a fascinating game of scratches where Scott was a -7 and John a -2. Eventually Scott had a chance to win the game with a run. He missed a shot, by my opinion, rushing a shot he normally makes 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Scrzbill Scrzbill is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eagles Rest, Wa
Posts: 3,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
FYI, Efren and I have played once, there was a spot involved! He and I because of OUR "Carom"backgrounds do look at pocket billiards in a VERY similar way, I think we both see and know certain shots that most players don't see and play! It's just that "I" don't play Pool full time, as MANY of the members do!
You spotted him in 3 cushion or he spotted you in one pocket?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
mr3cushion's Avatar
mr3cushion mr3cushion is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 6,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
You spotted him in 3 cushion or he spotted you in one pocket?
It' was around the mid 80's, Efren was staying in Chicago, learning 1 pocket from Freddy. He was coming around then to the "Chicago Billiard Café" with Archibald from the "Southside", He would stake him to play.

To get to your question, I spotted Efren, 60-50 playing 3 Cushion, Archibald went for 2 games, for a $1,000.00 each!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-19-2014, 06:33 PM
NH Steve's Avatar
NH Steve NH Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
LS John, you are correct. Not only that, his 8-and-outs are a beautiful mix of nine-ball strokes mixed in with smart straight pool breakouts. The DVD is worth it for one shot alone, which is a nasty, three-cushion type shot - Incardona (and the crowd) go apeshit! Even Mr. 3C would have to tip his hat for this reverse English position play. I think Incardona refers to it as "some alien monster English shot." (It is one of those situations where Reyes gets out of line where most players would still be in line. It is also one of those situations where Reyes brings the damn goods to get back in line. This is, after all, why we like to watch him!) I have hundreds of videos and this one is a keeper!

You will find better duels between combatants, but you will not find a better single performance than this.

Oh, and nearly all those 98 Legends matches are great!
Yes, I was there for that match and that shot -- Efren got unbelievable cue ball action, with position to continue his run!!
__________________
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
He beat Keith McCready a set for 10k at The Cue Club in Vegas in the early 2000's and really jumped up after that.

It was seven ahead and Keith won the first 4/5 in a row and it looked like Scott was done, but he turned it around and got the cash.
John, was that 1P, or 9 ball? Probably 1P since that's the subject, but just curious...

I didn't really get to see Frost's wizardry until the 2006 U.S. Open 1P. His game seemed effortless, and he never missed. He didn't do particularly well in the tournament though. That seems to be his M.O.: he generally does better in stakes matches.

~Doc
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 AM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
John, was that 1P, or 9 ball? Probably 1P since that's the subject, but just curious...

I didn't really get to see Frost's wizardry until the 2006 U.S. Open 1P. His game seemed effortless, and he never missed. He didn't do particularly well in the tournament though. That seems to be his M.O.: he generally does better in stakes matches.

~Doc
One pocket Doc. Freezer would not have played Keith any nine ball at that time.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 AM
backplaying backplaying is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
Daulton/Reyes and Daulton/Hall, back-to-back in the 1998 Legends in Baton Rouge.

Efren's last two matches at Derby City in '06 was something to watch too.

edit to add; Straightback already mentioned the '06. I need to watch it again, but the way I remember it Efren ran 8-out 5 times in 6 games.
That match with Shannon and Efren is one of the best I've seen. Shannon has a heart of a lion and plays better in the spotlight, unlike many. He's one of the few who doesn't seem intimidated by Efren, like most players are/were. I can say, he's also one of the few that has made Efren get weak, with a banking exhibition.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Scrzbill Scrzbill is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Eagles Rest, Wa
Posts: 3,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying View Post
That match with Shannon and Efren is one of the best I've seen. Shannon has a heart of a lion and plays better in the spotlight, unlike many. He's one of the few who doesn't seem intimidated by Efren, like most players are/were. I can say, he's also one of the few that has made Efren get weak, with a banking exhibition.
Of course Shannon made Efrin weak in banks, he's from Kentucky. Growing up in Kentucky, bank pool is taught from grades 1-12. If you can't run five and out, you don't graduit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.