Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Verified Member

OMG WTF he used a jump cue. I thought they were playing 1P. I didn't know in 2004 you could use one. Serves him right to miss and lose
Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Verified Member

I have never seen jump cues allowed in any 1p match. Could make things interesting but I tend to like not messing with the Rolls Royce of cue sports.

Stupid shot, at any rate.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:05 AM
Verified Member

He probably would have knocked that jump in 10 times in a row on 9 ball.

I think what happens in pool is many times if you choose the obviously wrong shot, even if you execute it all the time, you can't execute it in this case because it is so wrong and you know it deep down, and this makes you dog it deep.

I was looking at it and I wonder if he could have been thinking he'd try to steal a ball, and if he misses corey really doesn't have too much (unless he overcuts it and gives him the 7). Just guessing as to his potential thought process.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post

I think what happens in pool is many times if you choose the obviously wrong shot, even if you execute it all the time, you can't execute it in this case because it is so wrong and you know it deep down, and this makes you dog it deep.

I was looking at it and I wonder if he could have been thinking he'd try to steal a ball, and if he misses corey really doesn't have too much (unless he overcuts it and gives him the 7). Just guessing as to his potential thought process.
Tyler, now that I look at it again, I think you are right - he was just trying to steal on and hoped to hit it with a touch a draw and basically try to stop it at the contact point. From my perspective, it is an ill-advised shot because the cue ball can hit the object ball on a bounce and you can lose control of both balls.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 AM
Verified Member

Watched two good players play a 4,000 set a couple of weeks ago in Mobile. One broke the balls and had the other one in trouble. The other player puts his jump cue together, right in front of the other player and jumped a ball, hitting the rail, back into the stack, making a ball and spreading the balls perfect for a should be east 8 and out. The other player screamed no jump cues, and first claimed he had his back to him when he put together, and later changed it to I thought you was changing shafts, so he lied and did admit to watching him put it together. If nothing was mentioned about jump cues before they started, what was the right call, and he did sit there and watch him put it together, but didn't see the dead ball and thought he was shooting a safety. The other player had won the first game, and this was the second game, playing a 6 ahead.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
Tyler, now that I look at it again, I think you are right - he was just trying to steal on and hoped to hit it with a touch a draw and basically try to stop it at the contact point. From my perspective, it is an ill-advised shot because the cue ball can hit the object ball on a bounce and you can lose control of both balls.
I mean if he just makes it, which I'm sure he thought he would, it will probably be easy to drive one or two up table. Or what if he saw this.... What if u make that jump get straight in on that 14 ball bank and just stick on The three ball. I'm not saying this was the right shot just maybe how he was thinking.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying View Post
Watched two good players play a 4,000 set a couple of weeks ago in Mobile. One broke the balls and had the other one in trouble. The other player puts his jump cue together, right in front of the other player and jumped a ball, hitting the rail, back into the stack, making a ball and spreading the balls perfect for a should be east 8 and out. The other player screamed no jump cues, and first claimed he had his back to him when he put together, and later changed it to I thought you was changing shafts, so he lied and did admit to watching him put it together. If nothing was mentioned about jump cues before they started, what was the right call, and he did sit there and watch him put it together, but didn't see the dead ball and thought he was shooting a safety. The other player had won the first game, and this was the second game, playing a 6 ahead.
It's that situation where there is a Shot and everyone knows it can be a Foul. Does the opponent call someone to watch the hit or not? Depending on the answer to that I would rule completely differently. Here, nobody was called over for anything, so the impression it gives is he is ok with the way he is addressing the ball, whether he saw the shot or not does not matter IMO. So I go with the shooter here even though I hate jumps in one hole

I was once playing a Mexican guy last pocket eight ball. I hooked myself on my last solid, kicked hard, and the solid flew in the side, and the the cb swung around for shape in that same side (miracle). The guy tried to act like I needed to call it even though we hadnt been playing that way. He then finally let me shoot the eight, which wasn't a hanger, and I made it and he broke his cue and quit even though it was one one race to three. That was one of the few times I really should have gotten into a fist fight I swear. Point in all that was when a guy thinks he is on the verge of winning, then he is actually about to lose, they will do anything to slime their way out of it. I think that's what happened here with the jump cue the guy was thinking I'm gonna get somethin juicy and then He backtracked.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 08-20-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Verified Member

Rather than wondering what Putnam is thinking in this situation, I find myself wondering what was he thinking when he ran the 5 balls in his hole. As far as I'm concerned when a player is running balls in their pocket it shouldn't be with a TOTAL DISREGARD for balls near their opponents hole as well as LACK OF CONCERN for playing the score. Sean Putnam is way too good of a player to leave himself in this position after running 5 balls (possibly fatigued).
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post

Good points. He was probably an 85% favorite to make that ball, because he was an excellent jump shot shooter. But Fred's point is also true: he was simply taking the wrong shot. He was forcing the issue, trying to seal the win, and because that was in the back of his mind he missed. What was worse, the opponent didn't have to get out in this layout because it was so tough. But Corey put an exhibition runout on Sean, and that was all she wrote.

We've all taken shots when we have ignored the little man on our shoulder screaming at us to shoot something else. But yet we pull the trigger, and usually miss. That's why the guys who can be patient generally come out on top.

~Doc
needs more patience
Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Verified Member

Doc, typing in a bold font is appreciated by all the old guys here whose eyes are not what they used to be. Let's hope the habit spreads.

I intended to post this message in Tahoma, size 5, but it didn't work. What did I miss?