Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
It would not be the same game. That's correct. As I pointed out in the other thread, every single sport that you can think of today has had major rule changes at some point. Quite extensive ones too. It "was not the same game" when they did it. But they had reasons for doing it; they were smart for doing it. So, every other sport has changed extensively through the years to adapt to fans and new playing conditions. One pocket hasn't. And that doesn't strike people as kind of a big hint?

Again, If anybody wants to point out how the incoming shooter on a foul is able to shoot balls from the top half of the kitchen somehow destroys one pocket, I am all ears. It just puts twice the number of balls in the kitchen in play, would speed the games, and punishes scratches more.

I'm getting over this, to the content of all I'm sure, but I will (try to) end on one final note. What is the biggest blunder in pocket billiards? The worst thing you can possibly do?

A scratch into a pocket is pretty much the ultimate bad shot in pocket billiards.

Yet, in one pocket, a scratch can actually be a good thing for the fouler. The worst blunder in pool is "the tactical move to go for, the thing to do". Consider the analogies here, as you brought up baseball, what if 3 strikes and the guy gets to walk to first. What if a guy drops the fly ball and we called 2 outs. That would just be stupid right? Well, in one pocket we have a rule where you make the biggest blunder there is, and get rewarded. People actually tactically go for the worst shot in pool. This strikes nobody else as nonsensical but me?

I have never heard a single player my entire life ask "why is a scratch into a pocket a good thing to do at times in one pocket, why is the worst control shot you could possibly imagine a good shot in one pocket that benefits the fouler?"

Anyway, all I can say is all the rule changes I've proposed would speed up the game, they would not change the play too much imo. I have actually tried many of them and they aren't overbearing at all. It is still one pocket, the best player still wins, the games just go by a faster.

We all have choices, our choice is to stick with our original rules without even a single change, while every other sports somehow miraculously changes theirs for the better without the sky falling in (quite the opposite actually). It is all part of the "charm" of one pocket I suppose.
Tyler, when you and your buddy(s) play, you can play any game with any rules you want to. Call it TD Ball or something. Keep One Pocket the way it is. If you need to CLARIFY certain rules, that's good if it actually clarifies them. I think there should be a rule that you cannot have any opinion about the rules of One Pocket until you have played it seriously and (almost) exclusively for 30 years.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Verified Member

I sure can't think of one instance, when a scratch is better than another shot, playing one pocket?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying View Post
I sure can't think of one instance, when a scratch is better than another shot, playing one pocket?
Tyler may have been referring to following the game ball into the hole.