Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM
straightback straightback is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: owensboro, ky
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Next time I'm in court I'll try that defense.

"Well sure your Honor I rested the gun on a solid rest, took v-e-r-r-r-r-y careful aim, and gently pulled the trigger straight back. But that's not what killed him, it was the bullet what killed him."

Sorry SB, just saw this and I couldn't help myself.
Well, I AM a lawyer and all, Cary!

Nonetheless, if one bothers to think about it for a minute, I think my observation is spot-on.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-24-2014, 03:41 AM
backplaying backplaying is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
1-2 milliseconds (thousandths of a second), depending on tip offset from center, hardness and stroke speed.

There's pretty much nothing you can do with your stroke to change the contact time, because the soft flesh of the grip hand gives on impact, "decoupling" your hand/arm from the cue during the contact time. This means, for instance, that "accelerating through the ball" doesn't do anything to the ball (though it might help keep your stroke straight and give better speed control).

pj
chgo
What about jacking up and masse the ball? Does the tip stay on the ball longer?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Cary's Avatar
Cary Cary is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bertram, Texas
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
Well, I AM a lawyer and all, Cary!

Nonetheless, if one bothers to think about it for a minute, I think my observation is spot-on.
I'm just a plumber & I'll shut up now.
__________________
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."---unknown
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM
oldroller oldroller is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 133
Default some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
I'm just a plumber & I'll shut up now.
lawyers quit to become plumbers,,$$$
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM
petie petie is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Citrus Springs, FL
Posts: 3,314
Default

Why is it that Efren's millisecond does so much more than my millisecond?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM
mr3cushion's Avatar
mr3cushion mr3cushion is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 6,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
Why is it that Efren's millisecond does so much more than my millisecond?
Petie; I can only assume, when Efren's tip contacts the CB, his tempo, timing and speed are ALL perfectly in sync at that millisecond, is better than yours and MOST players!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 PM
straightback straightback is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: owensboro, ky
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
Why is it that Efren's millisecond does so much more than my millisecond?
He uses a 21 oz cue. Plus, if you're talking about English, he cuts across the ball a lot and spins the devil out of it. Everybody can do it, but his skill really lies in applying the exact amount he needs to get the angle and travel he needs.

That, and he uses inside English three times as good as any player in the history of this illustrious game.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
Patrick Johnson Patrick Johnson is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Quote:
1-2 milliseconds (thousandths of a second), depending on tip offset from center, hardness and stroke speed.

There's pretty much nothing you can do with your stroke to change the contact time, because the soft flesh of the grip hand gives on impact, "decoupling" your hand/arm from the cue during the contact time. This means, for instance, that "accelerating through the ball" doesn't do anything to the ball (though it might help keep your stroke straight and give better speed control).

pj
chgo
backplaying:
What about jacking up and masse the ball? Does the tip stay on the ball longer?
Maybe, but if so it's caused by the obstruction, not by your stroke.

pj
chgo
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 AM
petie petie is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Citrus Springs, FL
Posts: 3,314
Default

For those who think a millisecond is not enough time to matter, I would like to pose the case of the double rifle. Double rifles, not double barrel shotguns, have been used for centuries to hunt dangerous game such as Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, etc. The theory is that you have at least 2 sure shots without the need to cycle an action for the second shot with the obvious extra time and risk of a round hanging up in the action. Well, these double rifles go through a tedious process call registering whereby the two barrels are tuned to the cartridge and load that will be fired in them. They must be registered for a single load because the recoil will make the bullet go off the target if it is not registered. How long is the bullet in the barrel? You do the math.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-25-2014, 12:29 PM
NH Steve's Avatar
NH Steve NH Steve is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 8,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
For those who think a millisecond is not enough time to matter, I would like to pose the case of the double rifle. Double rifles, not double barrel shotguns, have been used for centuries to hunt dangerous game such as Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, etc. The theory is that you have at least 2 sure shots without the need to cycle an action for the second shot with the obvious extra time and risk of a round hanging up in the action. Well, these double rifles go through a tedious process call registering whereby the two barrels are tuned to the cartridge and load that will be fired in them. They must be registered for a single load because the recoil will make the bullet go off the target if it is not registered. How long is the bullet in the barrel? You do the math.
I agree -- everything is relative, and the significance of cue tip contact variables on an object ball is definitely not an exception to that rule lol.
__________________
"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
-- Strawberry Brooks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.