Beard - takin' no prisoners

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fred, I watched a couple of games on the stream from Red Shoes yesterday. Looked like you were hitting them well, and taking care of those young guys pretty good! I hope you ended up in the plus column for the evening.

You hit some great straight-backs and some 2-railers. Yet you seemed to miss a few reasonably routine cross-sides. Was that Black Diamond rubber on the Gold Crown tricky to get used to; were other factors in play; or did you just happen to miss some of those cross-sides?

~Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred, I watched a couple of games on the stream from Red Shoes yesterday. Looked like you were hitting them well, and taking care of those young guys pretty good! I hope you ended up in the plus column for the evening.

You hit some great straight-backs and some 2-railers. Yet you seemed to miss a few reasonably routine cross-sides. Was that Black Diamond rubber on the Gold Crown tricky to get used to; were other factors in play; or did you just happen to miss some of those cross-sides?

~Doc

My game doesnt ever seem to be complete. I was hitting a lot of very difficult shots very well, but I seemed to have a lot of trouble with the easiest cross sides. It is hard to put it all together. Pick up one thing and lose another, but my game is actually improving. I pay zero attn to rubber, rails, cue balls, cyclops balls, cloth, pocket size,whatever. All I focus on is the demons that patrol my brain cells. I finished in the bottom rung of the money, 7/8th.

Beard

My first 2 matches took 7 1/2 hours, since I am no longer chemically enhanced in any way, I just ran out of gas.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
My game doesnt ever seem to be complete ... but my game is actually improving. I pay zero attn to rubber, rails, cue balls, cyclops balls, cloth, pocket size,whatever. All I focus on is the demons that patrol my brain cells

Looking for but can't find the 'like' button :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I had the young phenom Eric Hincks who finished 2nd in the tourn, 9 to 6 the first rack and then 5 to zip in the second rack, for a lead of 14 to 6 going to 23, when the lights went out. It was 8 continuous hours of play by then. My feet were killing me, my back hurt, my eyes were doing zig-zags, and most importantly, I have foresworn off all enhancements.:frus I dont even use caffeine during matches, camomille tea and Hershey bars only. No food whatsoever, not even potato chips.

My first 2 matches took over 7 hours. Them guys just wont shoot at anything!:D

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months. I hope to lose another 30 or 40 by the time DCC comes up. I may even start exercising. I am playing well enough to try and get into decent shape.

Note to John Henderson: in case you think just because we will play short rack banks that it will be a wide open game -- not hardly. If you aint out in an inning or two, I start sealing up pockets and Moses couldnt run out from there.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I had the young phenom Eric Hincks who finished 2nd in the tourn, 9 to 6 the first rack and then 5 to zip in the second rack, for a lead of 14 to 6 going to 23, when the lights went out. It was 8 continuous hours of play by then. My feet were killing me, my back hurt, my eyes were doing zig-zags, and most importantly, I have foresworn off all enhancements.:frus I dont even use caffeine during matches, camomille tea and Hershey bars only. No food whatsoever, not even potato chips.

I have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months. I hope to lose another 30 or 40 by the time DCC comes up. I may even start exercising. I am playing well enough to try and get into decent shape.

Note to John Henderson: in case you think just because we will play short rack banks that it will be a wide open game -- not hardly. If you aint out in an inning or two, I start sealing up pockets and Moses couldnt run out from there.

Beard

Way to hang, Fred. You know Wimpy often played with lemon drops or other hard candy tucked in his cheek. Not a bad idea.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Beard

I don't know enough about banks to know when I am safe.:lol

I gained 7lbs in five days in Chicago. I just found out the Chicago Fire Pizza restaurants in my area have added Italian Beef sandwiches to the menu.

They supposedly fly in their beef and sausage from Chicago. Now that I am an expert:D I will check them out. They charge $10.95 so it better be good.

If they are not up to par, Malnati's will ship sandwiches and deep dish pizza next day. It is expensive, but I have a little extra spending $$.:heh

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I don't know enough about banks to know when I am safe.:lol

I gained 7lbs in five days in Chicago. I just found out the Chicago Fire Pizza restaurants in my area have added Italian Beef sandwiches to the menu.

They supposedly fly in their beef and sausage from Chicago. Now that I am an expert:D I will check them out. They charge $10.95 so it better be good.

If they are not up to par, Malnati's will ship sandwiches and deep dish pizza next day. It is expensive, but I have a little extra spending $$.:heh

When you are looking 9 ft up the table at a moon shot,believe me, you will know that you are safe.

I have sent Malnati's to some pals in Hot Springs, AR. I cant vouch for the beef, but I know the pizza they send is real good.

Beard

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
When you are looking 9 ft up the table at a moon shot,believe me, you will know that you are safe.

I have sent Malnati's to some pals in Hot Springs, AR. I cant vouch for the beef, but I know the pizza they send is real good.

Beard

Not to hijack this thread, but who won, and the order of finish?

backplaying

Verified Member
1st Chris Gentile...2nd Eric Hincks...3rd Ike Runnels...4th Eric Wermes...5th-6th Kevin Hall & Earl Fowler...7th-8th Freddie (Beard) Bentivegna & Neal Jacobs

Beard

Freddy, What would you rate your game now, when you are playing well compared to in your prime? In other words, in your prime, what could you give someone who plays your speed now?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy, What would you rate your game now, when you are playing well compared to in your prime? In other words, in your prime, what could you give someone who plays your speed now?

9 to 7, 10 to 8.

Beard

I am smarter now, but my game was much more explosive. I now make maybe one out of 10 long straight backs.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Question Freddie, to be competitive what do feel is the percentage of banks a player should make. I don't mean based on shots taken as many shots are safe play. I am referring to actual attempts to make a ball.

Thanks, Pel

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Question Freddie, to be competitive what do feel is the percentage of banks a player should make. I don't mean based on shots taken as many shots are safe play. I am referring to actual attempts to make a ball.

Thanks, Pel

Hard question. But most short cross corners or cross sides (with the cue ball off the rail) are at least even money or easier. You should make two out of three. Straight backs 5 or 6 diamonds away from the object ball, I think you need to make about one out of 4 attempts. These are just my estimates.

Beard

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Thanks Freddie. Gives me a starting point to work on. Gonna study your and JB's dvds some more.

Later, Pel

I actually think that Freddys book and DVDs MUST be used together. I actually couldnt follow either well seperately. No disrespect intented.

I wish I could do it very consistently but the twist bank is my favorite to watch. Bugs was said to be "almost" automatic at it, and I have seen Spathe do it in person at DCC and Cole do it on Youtube.

What is your favorite bank that you make better than almost everyone, and secondly what is your favorite bank.

Learning, well at least trying to learn.

Ken

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I actually think that Freddys book and DVDs MUST be used together. I actually couldnt follow either well seperately. No disrespect intented.

I wish I could do it very consistently but the twist bank is my favorite to watch. Bugs was said to be "almost" automatic at it, and I have seen Spathe do it in person at DCC and Cole do it on Youtube.

What is your favorite bank that you make better than almost everyone, and secondly what is your favorite bank.

Learning, well at least trying to learn.

Ken

Favorite is the Dixie Whistler. A short angle straight back where you draw the cue ball length of the table.

I can bank a ball that is close to the rail, pick it up off of the rail and bank it into the pocket.

Beard