Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 AM
Verified Member

biggest skill in any of the games after you get good is finding the right spot to want to leave the cueball that you can in reality do.

as far as straight pool it is a great gambling game if you just play it one rack at a time rather than to large x number of points. just like one pocket.

plus bad players will play with you as they seem to always in their mind have a chance to win each game unless you are stupid and run out everytime..
Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Verified Member

Originally Posted by J.R.
In closing, W.C. Fields is quoted as saying, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I say, "All pool games considered, I'd rather be playing one-pocket."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Or better yet J.R..... “I’d rather be playing one-pocket in Philadelphia” 😃

Mitch, I'm sure W.C. Fields would have agreed with you that all things considered, if he had to play one-pocket, it would have been in Philadelphia.

Here's a photo of W.C. Fields as he examines a cue stick for its straightness. Damn! I didn't notice before but you could be his doppelganger.

Name:  W.C. Fields looking at the straightness of a pool cue.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  17.4 KB
Old 08-14-2019, 08:29 AM

some great comments in this thread- thank y'all for the replies.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Verified Member

14.1 is the "GRAND DADDY" of all the other games....."Line up straight pool" is the only game that precedes it. When playing competitive pool (other games) nobody says "hey don't worry about him ...he is just a straight pool player". If someone is good at 14.1, they can play ALL OTHER games with proficiency.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Verified Member

Default what do you think of straight pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Originally Posted by J.R.

In closing, W.C. Fields is quoted as saying, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I say, "All pool games considered, I'd rather be playing one-pocket."

Mitch, I'm sure W.C. Fields would have agreed with you that all things considered, if he had to play one-pocket, it would have been in Philadelphia.

Here's a photo of W.C. Fields as he examines a cue stick for its straightness. Damn! I didn't notice before but you could be his doppelganger.

Attachment 24833

I must say you are right in both counts J.R.! 😂

In other news, I found a snooker player who reminds me of you. Not sure why exactly but there’s just something about him.. 😃

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 PM

Default straight pool

Me too with the 70's when I started with my dad .I was 12 and we went to bowling alleys that had 4.5x9 gold crowns . My father taught me rotation and straight pool. ( the other games were for gamblers he say ) my brothers would come and play (6 btw). It was a great way to spend time with family.
What is so crazy is I still play on the same gold crowns in my local pool room today. I remember the first time I ever beat my dad in straight pool I think I was 13 ....that was cool. Still fond of straight pool
Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 AM
Verified Member

In other news, I found a snooker player who reminds me of you. Not sure why exactly but there’s just something about him.. 😃

[/QUOTE]

Mitch, "eye" definitely resemble that fella.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
I know this is a one pocket forum, but the games seem to have things in common philosophically, and in terms of play-
just curious what you all think on the subject, if you play, etc.
When I started playing in 1960 it was the game that was played as much as 8 or 9 ball. There was and is another game that you just don’t see anymore called “line-up”. I’ve only run into one other player that was familiar with line-up and he was a truck driver I played in Houston over 20 years ago.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Verified Member

I feel....14.1 is the root of all games. When you first run 14, then 31, then after a few years, if lucky you'll run over 50. If yah keep getting better, next plateau 80 balls, that's a tough one as a young man. Once you got into the 100's you felt your game had matured, and you were ready for most anyone, cept the ones you knew. The pond just got a little bigger, and your wallet would be a little flusher. We first learned 6 ball, then 9 and 14.1 as kids in the 60's in the burbs of Chicago. There were collegiate championships every yr. in straight pool in the 60's....Mosconi and Fats were ''still around''. Gordon Hart started peddling his Viking Cues in our room Swank Billiards in 1965 would be my guess. Pool was big in the early 60's.
no link....
Old 08-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Verified Member

In 14.1 pool, patterns are key to constantly good play. You will often see players who are great shot makers, bankers and etc. fail miserably. John Schmidt's recent great run is an example of the skills required to play 14.1 well. His rotation game is good but not top speed IMO but his tenacity and thinking out patterns are second to none. 14.1 IMO is the cadillac of pool (are cadillac's still rated top car anymore?.) So if you want to be a pool player you better be able to figure out 14.1 at least somewhat to attain some semblance of the skills required in playing our game.