Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-29-2019, 09:26 AM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLongArm View Post
Scott is very specific. He called out Danny Smith when he started playing back. Then, when Efren and Billy were playing, he asked for the winner. This is after beating Efren soundly in 2016. Now he wants to play a clearly diminished Efren or a not yet ready Billy Thorpe. Then he asked to play Danny again. All the while, Tony is dying to play anybody. Crickets from Scott. It's very clear to me that Scott is picking his spots. If he thought he was the best, he would win way more money beating Tony than Danny or any other American. He knows he isn't ready, which is a credit to him. His ego is substantial, and he is not writing checks that he can't cash. But he's not the best American. Since 2015, Tony beat everyone but the top two guys, and he beat Dennis the first time. He beat SVB, he beat Busty, Corey won't play, he beat Danny, he beat Lunda, he beat Josh Roberts and JHall wants weight.

And don't forget: Shannon offered to play any American even except Tony with one week's notice. He wants 8-7 from Tony.
And now again, I agree with you, lol...you should be a l.., oh nevermind =D

I also forgot about the Shannon bet, I am surprised no one took him up on that, playing even. I love Shannon's game and some of his early vids are what inspired me to play more...that being said, I think today I would have to bet on a few of the other guys who are playing the game more often and matching up (Scott, Danny, Corey, SVB, Lunda to name a few)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,267
Default

Shannon is tough to beat, not only because he's a great player, but because of his intensity and tremendous desire to win. Sometimes that's tough to fade.

Shannon got to the top at an early age, especially in one-pocket, but now, at aged 47, he'll be battling the inevitable effects of aging. He may not be the favorite to beat the top guys anymore, but no one is chasing him to play, either...

~Doc
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-29-2019, 11:22 AM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Shannon is tough to beat, not only because he's a great player, but because of his intensity and tremendous desire to win. Sometimes that's tough to fade.

Shannon got to the top at an early age, especially in one-pocket, but now, at aged 47, he'll be battling the inevitable effects of aging. He may not be the favorite to beat the top guys anymore, but no one is chasing him to play, either...

~Doc
I also like that he bets his own....not many of the top guys do that...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-30-2019, 03:35 PM
chicagomike chicagomike is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakynito View Post
You always say my point better.
It's like you make a living making points or something...

What would you think of Chip vs Scott? I think that would be a great match up. And at this point in time I think i'd put my money on Chip.
I think Chip would have a hard time with Scott. I donít think he has the same deal of knowledge or experience to be ready for big match with Scott.
__________________
Live long and play strong,
-Chicagomike
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-30-2019, 03:39 PM
chicagomike chicagomike is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default

I really like Scottís game. Iím not so much a fan of the power one pocket as I am regarding his defense and end game moving.
__________________
Live long and play strong,
-Chicagomike
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-30-2019, 04:00 PM
BRLongArm BRLongArm is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 651
Default

Scott played very traditionally against Danny. I think he knows that power one pocket fails against good ball strikers. He also knew Danny would give him chances if he was just patient. Guys like Alex and Dennis want you to blow the stack open and have to defend 10 or 11 balls. They see a crack of light and bank one in and run out on you. But against lesser players, that relentless pressure will crack you.

Power one pocket is designed to break players who won't shoot that eight foot shot or that off angle bank. Once you show weakness, the power one pocket just overwhelms you. Great shooters think nothing of shooting what we would consider a tough shot and draining it. They then make a bank and run out. Scott knows that now and modified his play according to the opponent.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-30-2019, 06:14 PM
vapros vapros is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: baton rouge, la
Posts: 3,269
Default

Regardless of the current level of Shannon's game, if he wants to play I want to watch.

Nonirregardless, one might say.
__________________
If it ain't funny, it ain't much.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-30-2019, 09:29 PM
Tobermory Tobermory is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA 94708
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLongArm View Post
Scott played very traditionally against Danny. I think he knows that power one pocket fails against good ball strikers. He also knew Danny would give him chances if he was just patient. Guys like Alex and Dennis want you to blow the stack open and have to defend 10 or 11 balls. They see a crack of light and bank one in and run out on you. But against lesser players, that relentless pressure will crack you.

Power one pocket is designed to break players who won't shoot that eight foot shot or that off angle bank. Once you show weakness, the power one pocket just overwhelms you. Great shooters think nothing of shooting what we would consider a tough shot and draining it. They then make a bank and run out. Scott knows that now and modified his play according to the opponent.
Very shrewd analysis, counselor.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Tobermory Tobermory is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Berkeley, CA 94708
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
Regardless of the current level of Shannon's game, if he wants to play I want to watch.

Nonirregardless, one might say.
Me too. What would it take to entice him back into action?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 PM
Fast Lenny's Avatar
Fast Lenny Fast Lenny is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Arizona & OCNY
Posts: 2,215
Default

I don't get on here often but felt the need to chime in on it. Scott and Tony would be a great match for us fans to watch. 10 ahead would probably be a solid number for them to play with their pace.

Scott when he was at his best there was no one beating him. He had beat Efren about 8 times in a row. Alex lost to him too. I really liked his game when he was playing alot of rotation chasing Mosconi points. I also liked his game when we were filming the Power One Pocket as we went through so much of the game of one pocket. As much as it was a lesson for me to watch I am sure it tuned Scott up quite a bit with all of the hours spent doing the videos.

Efren will always be the best obviously because in his prime he gave the 2nd best guy 9/7. Who else has done that? Scott could have won more titles and still is totally capable. He just needs to be out there playing and hungry. He is playing much more now.

Keep in mind when he played Dennis that big set he was also opening up the poolroom and not playing. It was still a battle with Dennis having to pull some very low percentage stuff being put in terrible traps he shot out of. Scott if he played his game would have beat Dennis without question. Alex is someone who when his head is in it just seems unbeatable.

I think it would be great to see Scott and Tony play. Maybe something can be put together that works for the players incentive and obviously people getting behind both of them. I don't stream very often anymore but would dust off the equipment for that one.
__________________
www.ontherailtv.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.