Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Verified Member

Default Best dvd's for a new player wanting to watch and learn from the best

Hi Guy's

As you can see i'm new to this site, i'm from the UK where one pocket just is not played and in a lot of case not even known about,

I have a couple of people to play who know the rules and basic strategy one lad has played a few times when over in US, the problem is that with us all being so novice there is nothing we can really learn from each other and short of kidnapping Efren, I wondered if people could reccommend any dvd's and places to get them from.

Hope you can help me,

Dave
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to starfix_1
Default Only one sorce... really!

Accu-Stats.com, Search google and type accu stats pool and you should get something for the web site. They have several matches you can buy and the ones with the stars by their names usually means it is a better match.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Verified Member

Cheers for that, i already have the dcc2005 reyes/matlock reyes/deuel from accu-stats, i have there 2006 catalogue what i was after as well as a source was also any personal reccommendations of games to watch,

If anyone can suggest good games it would be appreciated as i dont have unlimited funds to buy all the dvd's,
Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Verified Member

They have a half-off internet sale on their website for their vhs versions of some matches. You can probably find a friend to convert from vhs-dvd if you don't have a tape player.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD GREEN
They have a half-off internet sale on their website for their vhs versions of some matches. You can probably find a friend to convert from vhs-dvd if you don't have a tape player.
Bud, in England they use a different VHS format. I forget what it is called, but last I knew US video tapes and English aren't compatable unless you have a machine that accepts the format.

Dave, is that still true or are the video machines now universal?

Most of my favorite Accu-stats matches are the older ones, which may not have the slickest production values, but they have many great players and great performances.

I just took a look at the current Accu-stats catalogue and unless I missed something, they only have a total of seven One Pocket DVD's -- three from this year's DCC, three from 2005 and one from 2004. Most of them go for $26 each but if you order five or more I believe you get a $4 discount on each disc.

For the 2006 matches, I like the Pagulayan/Chohan & Pagulayan/Reyes
double match. Freddy is in on the commentary, which is always a plus.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
Bud, in England they use a different VHS format. I forget what it is called, but last I knew US video tapes and English aren't compatable unless you have a machine that accepts the format.
Most of Europe has PAL format televisions. About 99% of the US uses NTSC. There are some areas of the US that use different formats for their cable feed, but it ends up NTSC when it comes out of the back of their cable box. Bud, if you are contemplating the VHS->DVD conversion and know someone across the pond, have them get it, convert it, and if you don't have a region free DVD player, have them use SVCD format. You may lose a touch of quality, but the compatibility will be there. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Verified Member

Steve, i think most new videos in the UK will accept the NTSC format, but i really was after dvd for ease of use as i also have a small portable multi region dvd so i could watch them anywhere

Thanks for the reccommendations on the games, i'll be ordering some in next day or 2,

I've just bought a book Upscale One-Pocket by Jack H. Koehler hopefully that will give me a bit more insight too.