Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:38 AM
Disco Dave's Avatar
Disco Dave Disco Dave is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 817
Default

Hi guys, this is Disco Dave from Houston. I recently joined this site after sweating the Super Seniors tournament. I've enjoyed reading your posts and met some of you in Houston (I was wearing a brown serape).

I have just made my reservations for one pocket at the derby. I have reservations to stay at the casino (24th through 28th). I don't expect to do particularly well since I may not be that good but since the price for playing vs just spectating is a wash and I've never been, I've opted for participating.

I sure would like to meet up with you guys, sweat your challenges and maybe try some games/matches with you ... just because.

Other questions...I pretty much am used to playing only on gold crowns. Bogie's does have a red-label Diamond ProAm and I have ordered a set of Cyclop balls to practice on it with. Is the red label comparable to the tables at the Derby?

At Thanksgiving I visited relatives in OK City and played some on the Diamonds at Jamaica Joe's. I had a lot of difficulty with my side to side banks going too short and had no confidence in them, although my up-down banks did okay.

Any good advice on table prep for the Derby? Practice on Bogie's Diamond or stick with Gold Crowns? For sure I will start practicing with the Cyclop balls.

Also, I am driving to the event from Houston. It is a 15-hour trip so I plan to make it in 2 days. Halfway point is between Little Rock and Memphis. Which location should I select to hole up for the night and perhaps find a good room to play if I have any energy? Any pointers on pool rooms at either location?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dave

Last edited by Disco Dave; 12-18-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dave View Post
Hi guys, this is Disco Dave from Houston. I recently joined this site after sweating the Super Seniors tournament. I've enjoyed reading your posts and met some of you in Houston (I was wearing a brown serape).

I have just made my reservations for one pocket at the derby. I have reservations to stay at the casino (24th through 28th). I don't expect to do particularly well since I may not be that good but since the price for playing vs just spectating is a wash and I've never been, I've opted for participating.

I sure would like to meet up with you guys, sweat your challenges and maybe try some games/matches with you ... just because.

Other questions...I pretty much am used to playing only on gold crowns. Bogie's does have a red-label Diamond ProAm and I have ordered a set of Cyclop balls to practice on it with. Is the red label comparable to the tables at the Derby?

At Thanksgiving I visited relatives in OK City and played some on the Diamonds at Jamaica Joe's. I had a lot of difficulty with my side to side banks going too short and had no confidence in them, although my up-down banks did okay.

Any good advice on table prep for the Derby? Practice on Bogie's Diamond or stick with Gold Crowns? For sure I will start practicing with the Cyclop balls.

Also, I am driving to the event from Houston. It is a 15-hour trip so I plan to make it in 2 days. Halfway point is between Little Rock and Memphis. Which location should I select to hole up for the night and perhaps find a good room to play if I have any energy? Any pointers on pool rooms at either location?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dave
Welcome to the forums Dave!

I am about in the same boat as far as not doing too well since I don't get to play on a real table but a few times per year. I am limited to playing one pocket on virtual pool 4 on my computer which by the way, there are a few guys from Houston that I play with in that game that play one pocket pretty snazzy

But like you said, the entry vs spectator fees aren't that big of a difference so why not have some fun...

I played on Gold Crowns exclusively for years and they still may be my favorite table however most of the pool rooms now have Diamonds and I think the biggest difference for me is just that the pockets are tighter and they seem to bank pretty true.

On a side note, I didn't even think about the cyclops balls. Are they for sure going to be used at the derby and also besides the funky colors, do they play any differently?

I cant comment on your other questions but I am sure there are some folks here that can.

Have a safe trip and see you there!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Mkbtank's Avatar
Mkbtank Mkbtank is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Philly Pa
Posts: 5,182
Default Derby City Classic challenge thread

Welcome Dave. Glad to hear that you (and the Cincy Kid) are joining our 1p.org contingent at the Derby. The more the merrier! You will have a blast!! I posted a thread last week about switching to Diamond tables, that should have the insight that you are looking for regarding the equipment. Look forward to meeting you gents there. Mitch
__________________
Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:06 AM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,261
Default Im officially in!

Just finished paying my entry fee, book it Danno!

See you guys there ~
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Disco Dave's Avatar
Disco Dave Disco Dave is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Welcome to the forums Dave!

I played on Gold Crowns exclusively for years and they still may be my favorite table however most of the pool rooms now have Diamonds and I think the biggest difference for me is just that the pockets are tighter and they seem to bank pretty true.

On a side note, I didn't even think about the cyclops balls. Are they for sure going to be used at the derby and also besides the funky colors, do they play any differently?
I'm used to tight pockets at Bogie's...[DD]

Event Flyer States that Diamond "Smart" Tables will be used as well as Cyclop balls. What are the "Smart" Tables and how are they different from ProAm?...[DD]
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-18-2015, 11:57 AM
JohnInNH JohnInNH is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bedford, NH
Posts: 145
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Well, since Bill Sczbill threw me a challenge and we are confirmed (if he attends), we will be in action.

I figured I would start this thread for anyone who wants to challenge or negotiate a match during the Derby with anyone else from the site.

Don't be shy boys. Let's mix it up!!
Hi All,

I will be arriving at the DCC on Friday the 22nd to Sat. the 30th, I prefer not to commit ahead of time, if you want to play some cheap one pocket ($20) I have a ring side seat at the tv table #27 stop in to say hello, maybe we can make a game at that time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

John
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 PM
cincy_kid's Avatar
cincy_kid cincy_kid is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 4,261
Default

Speaking of which, is there a certain area where you all will be hanging out for some of the time? How will we know who is from the forums and get to meet up?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:38 PM
wgcp's Avatar
wgcp wgcp is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: long beach, mississippi
Posts: 1,688
Default Cinn kid

if you stake out the ice cream shop, and watch for grey beards frequenting it, you will find a couple of us... or just look for a table full of people laughing their butts off is another way...

B
__________________
Execution of the shot, some days I have it some days I don't...
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East St. Louis Area
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
Hi All,

I will be arriving at the DCC on Friday the 22nd to Sat. the 30th, I prefer not to commit ahead of time, if you want to play some cheap one pocket ($20) I have a ring side seat at the tv table #27 stop in to say hello, maybe we can make a game at that time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

John
looking forward to seeing you john. after that super seniors performance could be a tough match up .

i'd enjoy rolling them around with you if our schedules and table availability permits.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 PM
LSJohn LSJohn is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: monett missouri
Posts: 7,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
Speaking of which, is there a certain area where you all will be hanging out for some of the time? How will we know who is from the forums and get to meet up?

The "Action Room" has always been at the top of the escalator nearest the main entrance of the main floor tournament area. Several 1 P org guys likely to be in there almost anytime (unless there's a new layout this year for some reason.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.