Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Suggestions/Ideas on Loosening UP

i am a pretty good billards/1 ball player, but i do miss shots after about making 2 or 3 balls in (billards) and miss easy shots on 1 ball also

if i drink a couple beers (3,4,5) then i always "loosen up" and i can go around a table, no problem

other than drinking alcohol every game, any other suggestions to loosen up, or does any one else have/experienced this problem

thanks
jay
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballsk8er333
i am a pretty good billards/1 ball player, but i do miss shots after about making 2 or 3 balls in (billards) and miss easy shots on 1 ball also

if i drink a couple beers (3,4,5) then i always "loosen up" and i can go around a table, no problem

other than drinking alcohol every game, any other suggestions to loosen up, or does any one else have/experienced this problem

thanks
jay

A few beers will dull the nerves, but over time, the guys I know who did this had trouble keeping the "chemical balance" balanced, so to speak. What I like to remember is during the "perfect" moments of the right amount of beers....you are just letting go of the nerves, and playing without inhibition.

You have it in you to play your best with a few beers or not....the tough thing is to find that balance with out getting a hangover!!

Gerry
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballsk8er333

thanks
jay
I know this exact feeling. It used to happen to me all the time, not just in pool. Develop a pre-shot routine and follow it EVERY SHOT. It doesn't matter how easy the shot looks, be sure to do the same exact thing every time before making your stroke. Figure out during practice what works best for you. I have always found that a big deep breath just before getting down over the table will make things easier. Find out what is comfortable for you, repeat it, and you will gain consistency.

Part two is the hardest thing to get yourself to do: If you're down over the shot and don't feel comfortable for any reason whatsoever, get back up and start over. If something doesn't look right, you see someone walk by, your ear starts to itch, start your routine over as if you are just walking up to the table. Sometimes you will think that whatever it is will not affect you, but you will pay the price after pulling the trigger.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to starfix_1
Default Don't take it lightly!

For the last 4-5 years I have been gambling at one pocket and rarely coming up winner. I would play someone who was a champion and do well,on the other hand, I would play a chump and it was a coin toss who would win. What came clear to me was I would only bare down when I was behind, other wise I was just shooting and observing (taking it lightly). If you truely don't want the money/win- even with the ability you will never get there. Knowing this is half the battle. After the DCC I haven't played anyone lightheartedly and have forked over any money somebody didn't have to work for. Thanks Mike (BR,La.) for pointing the way.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via MSN to hhilario
Exclamation Watch your elbow

Your better watch it. 6 years ago I ended up being beerholic and a lousy player after drinking past my mark. I really believed that drinking would loosen me but I ended "loosing it" .
Is not that you shouldn't drink (99% of pool players do and play great), it's only that you better count the jars and stop them before the floor starts moving.
Try drinking (1 serving) something stronger to your throat (rum, whisky, etc.) as it would have around the same amount of alcohol need for you . Beer is too tasty to stop easy.