Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Verified Member

Since RR play has been brought up by Cory and Miller, here are a few of my favorite quotes from the RR thread, which is now on pg. 5.

JrHendy; I like it and think it is a benefit to the players who come knowing the probability of them going deep in the tournament is low. Everyone gets to play lots of one pocket and a bad draw after traveling a couple thousand miles does not have you sitting on the bench after the first two rounds. It also solves the debate about only going to two on the one loss side.

Henry; I like anything that allows me to play pool all day instead of sit around. Never liked double elimination tournaments.

NH Steve; I also lean toward single elimination final rounds---it saves time and also is a bit more of an equalizer between the range of player skills we have in our group, so upsets would be a bit more likely. I think that is a good thing, and makes for a bit extra excitement because of the added unpredictability!

Jeff Sparks; This sounds like fun, and a real bang for the buck.

These quotes are in regards to RR format suggestions for MOT. I feel if the MOT goes to this next year then the Seniors event may follow suit, and I also feel they could just become the greatest one pocket tournaments around! I feel this way because players are guaranteed they will get to play more matches before they are eliminated, and at the same time be able to play more players. To me, this sets a model for the future and OP.org should be the ones to lead the way. Whitey
Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
If I was in a match that long, unless it was like an ahead set or something of course, I would be done. I mean I would not lose on purpose or anything but my hole is going to start getting shot at. In other words, unwatchable, and unplayable too, at least for me.

The way to beat a player like that, in my estimation, is because they are so afraid of offense there is obviously a reason for that. So I think in a general sense, when someone is so afraid to shoot, that equates to needing a lot of innings to get to 8. So, shooting at your hole with a feeling of almost impunity can definitely be the way to go. And guess what, that can make them clam up even more... so great, I can shoot even more.

I gotta say I played my fair share of one hole and I never once had a guy play me like what you are talking about. Things do seem a little faster paced in one hole on the west coast though, for better or worse. I have actually seen players get pressured many times in smaller one hole tournaments in LA for taking even a bit too long, or even not shooting too, believe it or not. Right or wrong have seen it many times from guys that command respect. Maybe there is something to that?
I think the reason those went that long was those couple of tables were super tight. But two of the players also played slow. We are having a tournament here next week on limited tables. If a certain player I know shows up he could ruin that tournament. We didnt call him.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
Itís not true we need to go to 3/2. I have stated why and unlike you guys who keep beating a dead dog. Iím not going too.
Steve, work out the scheduling with two rounds Thursday night after the auction at 6pm.
We end up with four players last day.
Iím dead money, if I get to play two matches Iím lucky and you want to reduce the amount of games I get to play?
Who else is dead money that is pushing for fewer games?
This for our annual members tournament that starts on Friday. The Seniors starts on Thursday and should start Thursday early afternoon as it's on 8 tables.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Verified Member

Round Robin -- 4 groups of 8, race to 2.

For an event that many of us think of as more social than competitive, it seems odd to me that more people aren't commenting on the value of guaranteeing everyone at least 14 games as opposed to 5 or 6, and 7 opponents instead of 2.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Suspended

The above thoughts are for a, 'Dead Money player' looking for a lot of bang for their buck, which may include LUCK going to 2!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Verified Member

Default One other option

If weíre not going to do RR, AND you truly want to stay at 3/3, one other idea would be to snag an APA modified double elimination bracket. Everyone is guaranteed to play 3 matches, but at some point, the loser side flips back to the winner and losing from there is out.

Thatís how they get through so many teams in Vegas every year.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post

For an event that many of us think of as more social than competitive, it seems odd to me that more people aren't commenting on the value of guaranteeing everyone at least 14 games as opposed to 5 or 6, and 7 opponents instead of 2.
This is my opinion on the RR. That is a lot of games to be played in two days so you can finish in a regular type bracket anyway. To my knowledge it has never been done in a recent 32 player one pocket event so we have no idea how match time would affect the outcomes of each group playing that many games in two days. It's also a huge scheduling nightmare for whomever is going to try to schedule all the matches or a the players who have never done it. On top of that none of us playing in the tournament have experience in both playing or running a 32 player RR format. And lastly what happens if we get 75% of the matches in and it becomes obvious that we won't have time to finish the rest? Are you personally guaranteeing this will work and as the advocate here are you volunteering to be there to help make all this happen?
...lol
Old 11-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Honestly I think there are just about all good ideas in here -- although some are conflicting lol!

You can see how are problems with schedule are a good petri dish for the difficulty with One Pocket tournaments in general -- such as DCC, which has so many more players and tournament rounds to get through!! Now that I think about it, and yes I have been to every DCC for at least the last 15 years, it is amazing they have not had more issues!!

For our member event I see the value in the round robin format because it is primarily a meet and greet first and a tournament second, so to speak.

For the Senior tournament and other double elimination events I can see races to 3/2 as a simple problem mitigator, but a big part of me (who is often traveling a long way) still wants to play races to 3 throughout.

Clearly, unless you have lots of time available, then for races to 3 to work within reason, you have to have some back up plans in place for limiting those potentially extra long matches. I know DCC is planning to do something this year -- most likely the possibility of shot clocks for slow matches along with the Grady rule -- as steps that the tournament desk can put in place for certain matches. They also might put certain "behind schedule" matches right in front of the tournament desk for easier monitoring.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post

When the time comes for discussions on MOT 2019 then I believe members will speak up more. I did not want to capture this thread with RR discussion, but let Crabbcatjohn, Miller, and Steve work through this. Which I believe they have, and Crabbcatjohn & Miller have finally got the deserved attention to what it takes to run a tournament and finish on time. Although it is nice to remind them that "hey" there is a contingency that favors RR.

This is the members that participated in RR discussions; jrhendy, MKbtank, LS John, Catkins, Cory in dc, youngstownkid, darmoose, crabbcatjohn, 12 squared, tobermory, cincykid, El Chapo, Henry, NH Steve, Jeff Sparks, mr3cushion.

Crabbcatjohn, makes some very important points! This is why for the MOT I cautioned to stay with a race to 2. It would be nice if he and Miller held a RR tournament race to 2, single elimination final! I believe they could pull it off. Glad to see Steve recognize getting to play more games before being knock out, would be nice. IMO getting the players to initially come to the tournament in the first place, which a RR promotes, would be paramount.

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 11-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
The above thoughts are for a, 'Dead Money player' looking for a lot of bang for their buck, which may include LUCK going to 2!
How are the RR games run in Billiards. I have no clue. Is there allotted time periods per game or do they play to a certain score so the game times vary ?