Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Verified Member

Default Yet another reality check

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post

I say it weekly, but moving is overrated.

If moving was worth anything at all, a guy like our own ghost could do really well in a pro tournament like the derby occasionally, correct? I really believe that proves it
^ Wrong. The only thing you "proved", is that you don't know what you're talking about...

Here, let me give you some free advice: It's not very smart to make definitive statements when you're not in possession of the facts...

The fact is, I've done well and finished in the money in many pro tournaments...and in these tournaments, beating, or going hill-hill with: Cliff, Grady, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, Parica, Richie Richeson, Gabe Owen, David Matlock, John Schmidt, Billy Palmer, Rafael Martinez, etc, etc....

And I accomplished that with top speed moving, not shooting

Here's documentation of just some of that >>>
Attached Images

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 01-31-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 PM
Verified Member

I am not sure why you posted those results, there is no Ghost listed anywhere. Fraud!
Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
I am not sure why you posted those results, there is no Ghost listed anywhere. Fraud!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nae6M-9fUg
Old 02-01-2019, 06:20 AM
Verified Member

you tell him.......great shooting ghost.....
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Verified Member

"IF" you don't think MOVING can not cancel out SHOOTING at times your DEAD WRONG....Generally 45 years old does not SHOOT as well as 35 years old & 55 years old does not SEE as well as 45 years old.....you get my drift. If shooting was the END ALL then none of us would play past 40 years old. In ONE POCKET even if the ball hangs in the pocket (as long as I controlled the cue ball) your still in control. GHOST plays just fine and has his share of SCALPS taken in battle.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I know it is not really "geometry", but I like the word so I am going to use it

Winning at a game like One Pocket is a simple geometry between offense and defense to determine who gets to 8 balls first. To score balls you need to get a shot. The moving game is what generally gets you to that first shot. Then your offense needs to take over, and you get what your shooting skills are able to get you, off of that first shot. For great shooters like the cream at DCC, even getting one shot can get them a lot of balls. Lesser shooters will not get so many balls on their chances, so that is where the shooter picks up an advantage. But if the shooter does not get all the way out, here comes the possibility of the mover doing what they do best, and again getting first to the shot. And so on and so forth, and that "beating your opponent to the shot" gets the mover into a few more wins at times.

So the geometry is simple -- the mover generally gets the edge in "first shot" opportunities, but the shooter makes more out of their shooting opportunities. In case you are wondering yes of course I oversimplified because the cream of the shooting crop (even if they do not know the game that well), simply have the skills to take advantage of some moves as well as some first shots, that a lesser shooter has to be careful of. That gives them another edge.

But there it is in a nutshell if you ask me.

Finally, nice work in those events Ghost, and we missed you yet again at the Derby, but you would have been really tormented by the lack of table access, as it was by far worse this year than any prior year.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Verified Member

It's safe to say that if one-pocket were simply about shooting, Steve would never have bothered to start this website. And probably few of us would be playing the game. The entire basis of one-pocket is defense and moving.

~Doc
Old 02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
It's safe to say that if one-pocket were simply about shooting, Steve would never have bothered to start this website. And probably few of us would be playing the game. The entire basis of one-pocket is defense and moving.

~Doc
I should really be angry at one pocket.
If all there was to play was 8 ball, 9 ball, straight poo, banks and caroms, I would have happily quit playing pool, 30 years ago.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Verified Member

Default Bruce

He was one of the gate keepers in the big events, I know how that works. There always was a smaller group of those players, whether it be 9 ball, one pocket or the other games, these guys ''get in the mix'' cause they know the game, and like a good game and cash often. These are the guys that keep the top players on their game. They know if they slip up, it will cost em.
no link....
Old 02-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
^ Wrong. The only thing you "proved", is that you don't know what you're talking about...

Here, let me give you some free advice: It's not very smart to make definitive statements when you're not in possession of the facts...

The fact is, I've done well and finished in the money in many pro tournaments...and in these tournaments, beating, or going hill-hill with: Cliff, Grady, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, Parica, Richie Richeson, Gabe Owen, David Matlock, John Schmidt, Billy Palmer, Rafael Martinez, etc, etc....

And I accomplished that with top speed moving, not shooting
Thank you Mr. Ghost.

The phrase "Tell it like it is" is reverberating in my head.