Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Verified Member

Default Champagne Ed Kelly

I came across this video (very choppy) of Ed Kelly playing Mike Massey an 8b match. Just thought I'd post it for those, like me, who never saw Kelly play.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nel=1396512451

There is just something about watching players from his era at the table that is much different than watching the great young players today. The old timers seem to have a kind of density to their game that the youngsters don't. To me they just seem like better, tougher pool players that in their prime could take the young guys in their prime today.

Of course, I also am a fan of San Methuselah Dick. Did you ever play Kelly, Dick?

Skin
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin
I came across this video (very choppy) of Ed Kelly playing Mike Massey an 8b match. Just thought I'd post it for those, like me, who never saw Kelly play.

There is just something about watching players from his era at the table that is much different than watching the great young players today. The old timers seem to have a kind of density to their game that the youngsters don't. To me they just seem like better, tougher pool players that in their prime could take the young guys in their prime today.
Well, Skin, you just happened to pick one of the most stylish and classy players with one of the most beautiful strokes, to ever play the game. He's in a group with Buddy, Rempe, and Kim Davenport in that regard.

I agree that Kelly and those of his ilk had a presence at the table that is not much in evidence in modern times.

Kelly is the kind of player whom one never gets tired of watching!

Doc
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Of course, I also am a fan of San Methuselah Dick. Did you ever play Kelly, Dick?

Skin
Don't hold your breath guys,but Kelly has a computer. I told him how much fun we had on here and he said he may chime in someday. I think I have him lurking anyway.

Skin,

Ed and I first met in NOLA when he was 18 or 19 and I was 23.
At that time, neither of us knew how to even spell one pocket. We matched up a session of each (for our own small bankroll) 9 ball and 14.1. He was at the time allready a solid 14.1 player and according to the knockers in the joint, I had the best of the 9 ball.
Wouldnt you know it, I won the 14.1 and he won the 9 ball. We hit it off pretty well, (both Irish, both liked to drink ) and decided to throw in together and became good friends. We hustled around New Orleans for a while, but party animals that we were, we had trouble staying in money.
Our paths crossed many times over the years, but we always tried to help each other, and never played for $$ again. (lucky for me)
We did butt heads a few times in Jansco 1P division tournaments (one of which is detailed in Robbin's SMAS. (pg.232) Our Tourn. record is 2-0 Ed. The one in the book should have made it 1-1. but it was not to be.
Just talked on the phone to Ed for about an hour last week, Incardona put us back in touch. We had not talked in 25-30 years.
He no longer plays, but in his prime I never saw a better stroke, or attitude for the game of pool (all discplines)
He has my vote for one of the best of all time. I'm glad I got to know him as a friend.

San Meth Dick (for short)

PS Thanks for the clip Skin. Both guys look a little long in the tooth. I guess that was shot in '05 huh ? I think Eddie hung it up shortly after that. (he always was smarter than me too.)

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 08-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX
Don't hold your breath guys,but Kelly has a computer. I told him how much fun we had on here and he said he may chime in someday. I think I have him lurking anyway.

Skin,

Ed and I first met in NOLA when he was 18 or 19 and I was 23.
At that time, neither of us knew how to even spell one pocket. We matched up a session of each (for our own small bankroll) 9 ball and 14.1. He was at the time a solid 14.1 player and according to the knockers in the joint, I had the best of the 9 ball.
Wouldnt you know it, I won the 14.1 and he won the 9 ball. We decided to throw in together and became good friends.
Our paths crossed many times over the years, but we always tried to help each other, and never played for $$ again. (lucky for me)
We did butt heads a few times in Jansco 1P division tournaments (one of which is detailed in Robbin's SMAS. (pg.232) Our Tourn. record is 2-0 Ed. The one in the book should have made it 1-1. but it was not to be.
Just talked on the phone to Ed for about an hour last week, Incardona put us back in touch. We had not talked in 25-30 years.
He no longer plays, but in his prime I never saw a better stroke, or attitude for the game of pool (all discplines)
He has my vote for one of the best of all time. I'm glad I got to know him as a friend.

Meth Dick (for short)
Let's see..hmmm..."Shots, Moves, and Strategies", p. 232...as I recall it with my perfect memory...

"San Jose Dick" McMorran vs. Eddie "Champagne" Kelly, 1967 - I thought everybody knew that shot!

It was Eddie "Champagne" Kelly vs. Richard (ugh) "San Jose Dick" McMorran in a race to 4 for who would advance to the final at the 1967 Hustler's Tournamnet in Johnson City, IL. The match was 3 games to 3 with San Jose Dick leading when Kelly approached the table to face this one-pocket nightmare.

http://cuetable.com/P/?@3ABEm3BEGm3C...Bto4kAWj4kAWj@

"Seeing no better way out of the trap, Kelly elevated his cue and slammed into the cluster of balls, sending them toward my pocket. The hanging ball went in, but the rest somehow flew over to Kelly's side of the table. A ball not only dropped in his pocket, he was left straight in on another for an easy run out to win the match."

Dick McMorran

Just the look of the man as he came to the table in that video would have been enough for me to have a heart attack were I playing him, Dick.

Skin

Last edited by Skin; 12-04-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Let's see..hmmm..."Shots, Moves, and Strategies", p. 232...as I recall it with my perfect memory...

"San Jose Dick" McMorran vs. Eddie "Champagne" Kelly, 1967 - I thought everybody knew that shot!

It was Eddie "Champagne" Kelly vs. Richard (ugh) "San Jose Dick" McMorran in a race to 4 for who would advance to the final at the 1967 Hustler's Tournamnet in Johnson City, IL. The match was 3 games to 3 with San Jose Dick leading when Kelly approached the table to face this one-pocket nightmare.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ABEm3BEGm3C...Bto4kAWj4kAWj@

"Seeing no better way out of the trap, Kelly elevated his cue and slammed into the cluster of balls, sending them toward my pocket. The hanging ball went in, but the rest somehow flew over to Kelly's side of the table. A ball not only dropped in his pocket, he was left straight in on another for an easy run out to win the match."

Dick McMorran

Skin
Sure Skin, you had to torture me again. You must have a pool history library like Terry Ardeno. But Terry's like me...computer illiterate. Thanks for the mem's. Now I think I'll go get drunk, just like Eddie and I did that night 41 years ago.

Ugh Dick

PS Kelly was NOT a fun drunk. But he tells me he gave up the sauce a few years ago. Now I have to drink for both of us ? (what will I do if RA decides to quit ?)

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 12-04-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Verified Member

I would have bet on that leave being a winner for you. Who's going to sink one and get position out of that!?

Well at least no reporter wrote it up as a loss for "San Jose Slim" (SMS, p. 299).

You have some good tales, Dick.

Skin

Last edited by Skin; 12-04-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Verified Member

To the top.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Verified Member

Is there anyone else on here who saw the great match between Kelly and Cornbread in the finals of Grady's tremendous One Pocket tourney held at the Flamingo Hilton in Reno in 1991? Over 100 of the top One Pocket players in the world and these two oldsters made it to the finals. I wrote a story for Billiards Digest about this event that I was very proud of. Too bad they saw fit to edit it down to one page. I was so pissed.

Anyway, Eddie and Red played a great match (they both had total flashbacks!), and Eddie eked it out in the case game. He won twenty grand and Red got ten for second. That was the last tourney I know of Kelly playing in. All the One Pocket players on here, someone else must have been there in Reno.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

Skin
Ed Kelly was playing Richie Florence in a nine ball tournament in So. Cal in the late 70's or early 80's and there was a little good natured barking going on before their match started. "Ed Champagne Kelley" says Ritche, "They will call you Budwiser Kelly when I get done with you". Kelly beat Ritchie 11 to 3 or 4.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:

http://cuetable.com/P/?@3ABEm3BEGm3C...Bto4kAWj4kAWj@

Skin
I clicked on the WEI table link here 30 minutes ago and it's still trying to open. I can't close it and it hasn't opened yet. Do yourselves a favor and leave this link alone.

Dennis