Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Verified Member

Gene "The Glove" Catron is on the list, so I thought I would post a pic, hope nobody minds. He was always around the pool rooms in Tampa back in day.

My gallery; http://www.onepocket.org/forum/album.php?albumid=3
Old 05-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
Jay, that guy in the background is definitely not Benny the Goose Conway Sr.
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose. How much would you pay for Stigall's hair? Does he still have it?

the Beard

Congratulations, you are the second chap to win a Banking With The Beard T-Shirt along with Terry Ardeno. I assume Large would be ok?
Here is a picture of "The Goose"

Last edited by CaptainHook; 05-11-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Dave Nottingham was a rounder who used to peddle high end cues, and play a little 9-Ball and One Pocket, mostly out West. He didn't usually play too high (about like me I guess), two or three hundred dollar 9-Ball sets or 50 a game One Hole. He was a lifetime shortstop. Had a heart attack and died about 5-6 years ago. Nice guy, and not that old, maybe 50 or so.

Jay,

Dave and I were good friends, and your profile of him is very accurate, He looked like a school teacher or something not a pool player and only played in easy games, the 4 years I spent with him in Vegas. He awalys seemed to have 1 or 2 expensive cues for sale, his personal cue was a beatiful Tad worth 4-5K 15 years ago. Fred Guarino told me he passed away from food poising something about bad fish, it was suspicious story, Dave at the time had a few very expensive cues and watches(my other hobbie and Daves) and when they found the body everything was gone. He didnt have any family except an Aunt in Wy. with a small house he would go to every june -aug he was in route there when he passed away. Fred nor I believed the food poisn story, I lost a good friend, he moved good and taught me alot I took outside the pool hall in life.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Verified Member

Group shot.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
I think I mentioned him too, because he was such a prolific West coast player in the 70's and 80's. Billy played everybody he could find with a cue. One of those kind of guys. Hell, I must have played him ten times. Every time we saw each other, I just screwed my cue together.
yet again your spot on Billy Teeter was awalys looking for a game, he made a huge score just a couple years ago, it was WELL into the 5-figure area- I wont say as its not my business, but it wasnt from a pool player, it was from a 45 year old guy who turned into a tweeker(speed) at that age and had $$$, they worked on setting up the game for almost a year. I suspect he inheareted(SP?) a pile and it changed him for the worse, I saw the "Mark" play about 6 months before the score and they said he lost 80 pounds, he makes Grady look over weight, he couldnt make 2 balls in a row. They took their time and made their move when it was right, Billy aint a bargain to play, he is strong and gets stronger for more $$$.

He was making cues for a while and they play good. He bought a pool room sold it, then a bar with pool tables and ran that for a few years, he was doing very good with it and sold it, now he is back fiddling around with making cues and looking for action, he is a good guy and friend. He dosent travel far though, never comes to LA, Vegas etc.

Last edited by Fatboy; 05-11-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Verified Member

Captain Hook,

Thanks for edifying us with those neat pictures. It's nice to be able to look back and see how young everybody looked when they were...young

Man, how fast time flies. I remember reading about lots of theses guys back in the early 1970's when I first fell in love with pool. Some I've met in person, many I have not. But when I see "flash back" photos, it brings back a lot of fond memories.

Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
Captain Hook,

Thanks for edifying us with those neat pictures. It's nice to be able to look back and see how young everybody looked when they were...young

Man, how fast time flies. I remember reading about lots of theses guys back in the early 1970's when I first fell in love with pool. Some I've met in person, many I have not. But when I see "flash back" photos, it brings back a lot of fond memories.

No problem, I like remembering old times. I was just a kid back in the 70's
when I started playing at Bakers and I met so many folks back then I can't even remember, sometimes I did not even know who they were.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
Captain Hook,

I agree the old pictures are wonderful
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Verified Member

Sonny Springer?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Verified Member

Default check the list on page 1 of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Pocket
Sonny Springer?
He is on the list of people I played that is on page 1 of this thread.
We played in the 60s.

the Beard