Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Verified Member

Default Ask Artie Holiday Special

FYI the last page of Arie's Interview, Artie says he will give a Columbus Day special to those interested in asking him any question about one pocket. He says he will answer to the best of his ability and everyone gets a 2 question limit.

I thought if Artie doesn't mind we can post the questions here so that all of this great information is in one place.

I asked a question regarding the process of selecting the best shot when it is your turn to shoot and he gave a great answer. I would forward it here, but I don't know how to do that.

Let the questions and answers begin!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike
FYI the last page of Arie's Interview, Artie says he will give a Columbus Day special to those interested in asking him any question about one pocket. He says he will answer to the best of his ability and everyone gets a 2 question limit.

I thought if Artie doesn't mind we can post the questions here so that all of this great information is in one place.

I asked a question regarding the process of selecting the best shot when it is your turn to shoot and he gave a great answer. I would forward it here, but I don't know how to do that.

Let the questions and answers begin!!!!!!!
VERY GOOD NOW WE ARE GOING IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION. LEARNING. AND HELPING PEOPLES GAMEs. AND LEARNING WHAT ONE POCKET IS. NOT JUST 8 AND OUT. AND THE DONT EVEN NO WHY THE RAN 8 AND OUT OR how. And if you ask them ahead of time how many balls the are going to run in what order and how. You will be surprised how the run the balls and change their order. BEcause THE HAVE NOT FIGUERD IT OUT. AND EVEN IF THE FIGURE IT OUT IT WILL NOT BE DONE THE WAY THE SAY IT. Now you are learning and starting to see and understand what I am explaining. YOu have to no what you are doing and how you are going to do it. And you have to learn to think correctly. Now we are gitting some were. If yopu can do what you figured then you are on yopur way to becoming a better player. And with the talent you will be a champion. ANd you will start seeing that even people responding and answering will be in a smarter and more sensebale answers. And their answers will be a lot better. Because the learnd to think not just to shoot. Through your stuff out their. Dont be shy its all part of learning. This is not a contest were their is a winner and a looser. BUt its about everyone helping and chiping in to make the game a smarter and more exciting and interesting game. Give your opinion what you say will help another person. And that is part of learning.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Bodendorfer
VERY GOOD NOW WE ARE GOING IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION. LEARNING. AND HELPING PEOPLES GAMEs. AND LEARNING WHAT ONE POCKET IS. NOT JUST 8 AND OUT. AND THE DONT EVEN NO WHY THE RAN 8 AND OUT OR how. And if you ask them ahead of time how many balls the are going to run in what order and how. You will be surprised how the run the balls and change their order. BEcause THE HAVE NOT FIGUERD IT OUT. AND EVEN IF THE FIGURE IT OUT IT WILL NOT BE DONE THE WAY THE SAY IT. Now you are learning and starting to see and understand what I am explaining. YOu have to no what you are doing and how you are going to do it. And you have to learn to think correctly. Now we are gitting some were. If yopu can do what you figured then you are on yopur way to becoming a better player. And with the talent you will be a champion. ANd you will start seeing that even people responding and answering will be in a smarter and more sensebale answers. And their answers will be a lot better. Because the learnd to think not just to shoot. Through your stuff out their. Dont be shy its all part of learning. This is not a contest were their is a winner and a looser. BUt its about everyone helping and chiping in to make the game a smarter and more exciting and interesting game. Give your opinion what you say will help another person. And that is part of learning.
I hope when I wake up their are hundreds of answers and Quistions. Ask your quistions and give your answers.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Bodendorfer
I hope when I wake up their are hundreds of answers and Quistions. Ask your quistions and give your answers.
Artie,
Question #1
Why is it I don't get too excited, or feel too high when I win, but I really hate it, and beat myself up when I lose ?
Question #2
Why do I always feel a little guilty when I'm "stealing". Does that mean I was not cut out to be a hustler in the first place ?
I know I've always had too much gamble and never been a great manager. But I always feel better when I know I've won a tough match against a good player. I know, you know what I'm talking about.

Dick

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 10-13-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I have noticed that executing poorly often makes what I thought was a good idea, end up looking really bad. Let's say I am trying to lodge the cue ball behind another ball to trap my opponent, but I slightly miss-hit and end up exposing the cue ball just enough to negate the value of my safety. I have also observed my opponent shooting what I sure thought was the wrong shot, yet they execute it and it ends up costing me. These two situations illustrate results that make it difficult for me to learn the "right shot".

Can you give us any advice on how to better observe our own game, so as to learn to avoid mistakes? What should we be looking for?
Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Verified Member

chicagomike if you know how to copy and paste you can copy the reply than come to the forum and post reply when it opens you can paste the reply there and then post it. my best explanation on how to copy and post is yoou bneed to drag the cursor across what you want to highlight it while the left button on the mouse held down. then you right click and you will see alist of choices one of which is copy cilck on that. when you get to the reply box right click and you will see a list one choice will be paste click on that and you shoulod see the reply in the box. if this doesnt work maybe someone else can give you a better explanation.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Verified Member

artie my first question to you was going to be similar to chicagomike. after the break as you survey the balls what is going on in your mind as you make your gameplan? second as the game enters the middle to end game how do you decide where to position the balls specifically. i still get lost sometimes at this stage and will try to push balls to "my side" and away from "his side" trying to block a countermove but i wish i had better targets than my side and his side. better yet i wish i had a better CONCEPT of what to do.if my first question will be answered by your answer to chicagomike i guess the real question I want is to know WHAT IS CORRECT AND NO MISTAKE ONE POCKET? this should probably be my question.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Verified Member

Here's my first question, Artie. I am saving the second one for later.

How do you figure the spot in a partner's game of one-pocket?

For example, if 3 of the players match up 8-8 and the fourth gets 8-6 from all of them in singles play, how do the teams match up in partners? Is it 8-6 for the team with the weaker player? Is there a formula for figuring it out or is it pretty much guesswork and what everybody will go along with?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Skin
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I have noticed that executing poorly often makes what I thought was a good idea, end up looking really bad. Let's say I am trying to lodge the cue ball behind another ball to trap my opponent, but I slightly miss-hit and end up exposing the cue ball just enough to negate the value of my safety. I have also observed my opponent shooting what I sure thought was the wrong shot, yet they execute it and it ends up costing me. These two situations illustrate results that make it difficult for me to learn the "right shot".
In my case, I've come to realize that I tend to give myself too much credit in the ability to execute certain shots. Especially shots where I'm trying to accomplish two or three things during the same shot. For example, I might be trying a risky long bank, while also trying to hide the CB behind another ball. Oftentimes I'll miss the bank and not get safe besides!!

The key for me is to stay with the shots that I have the highest percentage of executing best. I think a lot of us average players take a whirl at some of the delicatessen shots we see the top players accomplish-- and we mess up!!

Doc
Old 10-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Verified Member

Artie, thanks for making yourself available to the rest of us. Just one question this time, and this is also for Grady, so maybe I'll get two answers. How long is too long to pick out a shot when you get a turn at the table? On DVDs I see Jimmy Fusco wearing out his shoes circling the table, getting up off shots and changing his selection several times, etc. On the other hand, Grady plays much quicker, and sometimes is ready to go as soon as the balls stop rolling. Are the slow players overdoing it, and do the quick players risk passing up the best shot?

I want to comment on Dick's first question, too. I can relate to a letdown when you win, and a disgust for my efforts when I lose. In addition, looking at the money involved, I think losing is much more likely to change your standard of living than winning. Won money seems to dry up in your pocket, and it's hard to remember what benefit you received from it. When you lose, it can alter your immediate plans, and sometimes drive you to return to your source to pump up (either the bank or your stash at the house). If you have no source, you may wind up living in a cardboard box under the interstate!