Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie Bodendorfer
I didnt no you new Al Fuss. U was real close with him. He loved Three Coushuion billiards and Joe Procita. I wull give you ywo quick stories you mite like. Al Fuss was in las vegas with his trailer home and German shepard dog.

And he would come too Ceasers palace too see me every day. And Mexican Johnny was aroud too at that time. He came up from Arizona too see me. And Al Fuss liket Johnny and he would back him in pool.

So Mexican Johnny went too Al Fusses Trailer. And he stuck his hand in the trailer. And the German Shepard dog bit Johnnys hand. And the police came and took the dog away. And Al Fuss Loved his dog.

So I went down with Al Fuss to signe for him to get his dog back. And I said he will be Ok. And Al fuss got his dog back. And I told Johnny why did you stick youre hand in the trailer. The dog was only protecting his turf. And Johnny said He didnt no thier was a dog in thier. But it got straightened out.

Then two days latter all Fuss came into ceasers Palace crying like a little kis. I said what happened. He said they got him drunk and he lost all the moey that he sold his mothers house for.

He lost 85 thousand dollaers. And I said what are you going too do now. He said he was going back to drive a cab. But he didnt have no money for gas or food. And I gave him 5 hundred dollaers. And he left town in his traier and dog.

And I never herd from him again. And we were partnersin 5 gold crown pool tablels and all kinds off pool stuff. Belmont bowling aley was cloosing and the wanted too get all the tables out off thier.

And I told the guy in charge howe much do you want for the tabels and equipment. And he said something silly and I said I will give you seven hundred and fity dollaers for the 5 tablels and all the equipment. And I will take the tables out off thier tommarrow. And he said Ok.

If I would have gotten thier a few days sooner I could have gotten 20 tables balls racks cues and all kinds off pool equipment. For 3 thousand dollers. But % tables for seven hundred and fifty dollares wasant bad either.

BUt I could have gotten a whole pool room ror 3 thousand dollaers. And I no the must have paid at least 25 or 30 thousand dollaers for all off the tables and equipment.

But I never herd from Al Again. I no he had a daughter. And he took the pool tables up too wisconsen with Tommy the SAilor. And he dtored them in his building. Because he had land and propertiy thier in Wisconsin.

And he played good three coushuion Billiards. You didnt play him even did you?
Artie.....Those're some pretty crazy stories about Fuss...

I played pretty close to Al's speed back then - he might have played a little better....I've got a pic of myself down in the basement standing next to a 3cushion tournament finals chart...I'll get it posted soon.

- Ghost
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosconiac
Under the "Billiards" sign in the first pic is an announcement of a 3-day, 150pt 3C match between John Daly & George W. Moore which had a $1000 purse ($23,000 in today's money). Daly averaged about 1.0 pts per inning.

FWIW, the photo is actually from 1911. Here's the original size:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/9841?size=_original
'Preciate the link to the full sized photo. I love those vintage era pics, especially when they're so clear!

Doc
Old 02-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Verified Member

Here's a pic of a large statue of a pool player from a poolhall sign I would guess - wonder where it came from? - It looks like it's signed I.P. Pendergrass 1983...it's sitting in a boneyard for old display signs, old neon signs, etc.

- Ghost
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Suspended

Default Great Stuff....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
'Preciate the link to the full sized photo. I love those vintage era pics, especially when they're so clear!

Doc
Me too Doc...Great pics Tom and Ghost. Startlingly clear, given their age. Not to wax too nostalgic, but I seem to pick up on some weird vibes when I look at old photos... Not just the architecture, and old cars, but a window to the past, that has slipped away.

For instance...can you imagine how long a kerosene lantern, hanging loose on a stand, would last in todays big city ?..I'm sure they were inexpensive, but they were also a very necessary item, before electricity....I'm sure there were homeless people then, and skid row drunks, wandering those streets at night...But, they would go sit in the alley in the dark, before they would steal city property...Amazing how much our core values have deteriorated over the last 100 years..

Thats what I see in old photos, a time gone forever...More please, and thanks guys...Wish I had some to contribute !..
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost
Here's a pic of a large statue of a pool player from a poolhall sign I would guess - wonder where it came from? - It looks like it's signed I.P. Pendergrass 1983...it's sitting in a boneyard for old display signs, old neon signs, etc.

- Ghost
Wait !..It Looks like !..I believe it is,...It's Cole Dickson !!!..
Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost
What a great sign. I'm surprised someone wouldn't want to refurbish it and use it for a poolroom. It's probably not known that it's available.

I know they have an enormous sign graveyard near Vegas. Could it be from there? Did any rooms there close in the early 80's?

Doc
Old 02-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX

For instance...can you imagine how long a kerosene lantern, hanging loose on a stand, would last in todays big city ?..I'm sure they were inexpensive, but they were also a very necessary item, before electricity...
I was thinking the exact same thing, Dick. It's interesting that they could remain there without being stolen (although one stand is empty). These were probably the last carry-over from the transition to public electricity.

I used to live in NYC, and I always wanted to go up into that Times Square building-- the famous wedge-shaped one. Do you see those two people looking out the window up on it's 10th/11th floor? What a view.

Doc
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Do you see those two people looking out the window up on it's 10th/11th floor? What a view.

Doc
very observant doc. those long straight ins must look like hangers to you with eyesight like that
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Verified Member

ghost and tom and anyone else
keep up posting the pics
its interesting to see something frozen in time
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll
ghost and tom and anyone else
keep up posting the pics
its interesting to see something frozen in time
Larry ..I wish I had some pics of Redbirds place in San Marcos ..the upstairs portion before he closed that part to the public..it had that old style feel to it including several barber/shoeshine chairs..also since it was on top of a small town old style drug store with high ceilings..there were about 35 steps in the stairs to get up there..these are some great pics