Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Default Buddy Hall vs. Gary Spaeth 2000 DCC: Exhibition Banks

It's game 4 and Gary needs two balls. What would you do?

Name:  CapturedPicture_3.Jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  41.8 KB
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

Attachment 2736
I would cross bank the 14 down table, then the straight back on the 2.
seems like somthing reasonable to execute to try to get out. (for free/cheap)

from the players standpoint to me...needing 2,down 2 games to one....for payout.
i think gary would play safe, tie up the 2 balls in the corner ,rolling the qball down to the rail abouts. Gary is the better banker....he has a better chance of winning that skirmish if he feels the 14 wont easily fall and leaving buddy the 2 in the open if he misses.
this is also what i would do if i had decent stake on the outcome against a capable player.

do you think gary would shoot the 14 if he needed one instead of 2? would you?....i would.

edit...its a 2 ball...not an 8.

Last edited by WillieNilly; 04-04-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Verified Member

Default My first solution

Percentages, percentages. Except Gary didnt often play the correct percentages, unlike his father Joey, who was tighter than Dick's hat band. Knowing Gary he shot all out on either the 2 or the 14, both poor choices. Now for those too fidgety to wait, or for those who just dont know any better, the best way to get two balls would be to cross bank the 14 straight back. With the 2 ball on the spot you would be assured of a good second shot no matter where the cue ball traveled to. Slamming and stiffening the 2 ball straight back results in having to shoot another straight back at the maximum, with the 14.

Playing safe by cutting the 2 ball and returning the q ball to the end rail is not the worst shot in the world, but it is really not a good choice for at least 2 reasons. Number 1. Needing two balls you dont want to put both balls near the foot short rail where your only options would be straight backs. Cross sides and cross corners are what get the money. Number 2. With both balls near the short rail you stand a good chance of leaving your oppo a straight back that might be a reasonably free shot. Very bad with him only needing one.

My choice. Crossing over the face of the two and rolling to the short rail where you leave nothing if you miss it and you can play a safe if you make it.
The shot goes, but does require an exceptional hit and maybe some english.

Knowing Gary, I am sure he didnt do what I suggested. Gary and I met in the finals of a pretty prestigious bank tourn, with most of the top bankers in the country. The only one missing was Bugs. He was spending the night in jail. It was a race in balls, the first 23 out of 45 balls, full rack. The score was 21 to 21 when I left him froze on the back rail with nothing to shoot at but a give-up straight back. I figured he would go for it and sell out. He did. He slammed at it 100mph missed it badly and the cue ball somehow buried itself inside 2 other balls! I had absolutely no safety. Even taking a table scratch wouldnt work because we were playing 3 in a row lose the game and I would have had to come out from those balls at some point anyway and there were balls loose everywhere else on the table. I finally came out and left him as bad as I could but he was happy to still be alive and ran the last two and out.

Beard

Final note. I still havent heard a single comment in the 13 months that I have had a bank pool column in Inside Pool. Does anybody on this forum read Inside Pool? Is everybody that afraid of drawing a negative reaction from the Phoenix Spell Master?

Last edited by fred bentivegna; 04-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Verified Member

since im a 1p player not a bank pool player id think id shoot this first and the straight back next
Name:  ll6.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

Attachment 2736
Since its an exhibition, I'd bank the stripe staight back if it would go. If not I'd bank the spot ball into the stripe sendng snow down table. Gary probably fired the 2 straight back!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Verified Member

Cut-back the one on the spot. It's gonna be in the pocket or in the jaws.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Verified Member

Default Absolute strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll
since im a 1p player not a bank pool player id think id shoot this first and the straight back next
Attachment 2740
The situation is, you need both balls: A bank pool axiom is that you never try and hang a ball in either of the two, foot-spot front corner pockets when you need all the balls! Because: The worst situation you can be in, is to need all the balls but have one of them hanging in a front corner pocket. You cant win without making that ball in the pocket, spotting it up and giving your oppo the first shot at the money. However, hanging a ball in the back corner pocket is fine when you need them all, because you can always roll it in the pocket, spot up the ball six 1/2 feet away and leave your oppo on the back cushion.

You would all do well to burn this into your brain, because it is absolute, unshakable, eternal bank pool strategy, and you wont find it in any DVD or book.

Beard
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Verified Member

Default Straight back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfosgatesucks
Cut-back the one on the spot. It's gonna be in the pocket or in the jaws.
If you are talking about straight back to where you started with the cue ball, the angle is much too extreme to be able to control the cue ball. If you are talking about cross corner, then that is no good for the reasons I cited to lll (Larry).

Beard
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Verified Member

Default Check reason Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeee
Since its an exhibition, I'd bank the stripe staight back if it would go. If not I'd bank the spot ball into the stripe sendng snow down table. Gary probably fired the 2 straight back!
Blackee, that is not a solid choice for the reasons I outlined in my post #3, and reason Number 1. Accumulating balls on the front short rail when you need them all is counter-productive.

Beard

Still waiting to hear from somebody who reads Inside Pool. Circulation of 400,000 and none of them on Onepocket.org?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
The situation is, you need both balls: A bank pool axiom is that you never try and hang a ball in either of the two, foot-spot front corner pockets when you need all the balls! Because: The worst situation you can be in, is to need all the balls but have one of them hanging in a front corner pocket. You cant win without making that ball in the pocket, spotting it up and giving your oppo the first shot at the money. However, hanging a ball in the back corner pocket is fine when you need them all, because you can always roll it in the pocket, spot up the ball six 1/2 feet away and leave your oppo on the back cushion.

You would all do well to burn this into your brain, because it is absolute, unshakable, eternal bank pool strategy, and you wont find it in any DVD or book.

Beard
this post goes into the favorites to keep
thanks.
p.s. i logged into inside pool
is there an idex of articles from past issues somewhere??