Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Verified Member

Default Boston Area Help

I am in Boston attending graduate school, and despite my hectic schedule I try my best to practice twice a week. However, this last week has been all I can take with pool halls in this area not opening in accordance with their posted times for opening and generally treating their customers bad. I travel from Cambridge to Quincy (45min-1hr) to play at Rennaissance Billiards only to find them closed and this Saturday was the second week in a row that this has occurred. Three weeks ago, they kicked me off the table I was playing on to do some repairs to the ceiling. I stopped going to Brighton Billiards for the same reason--not opening when they say they will.

Can anyone suggest a Boston area room that is accessible by public transportation that will charge a reasonable rate, open near their posted time for opening, and generally treats their customers and equipment with respect?

I know this could have been posted in the places to play forum, but I want to ge the imput of as many people as possible.

kollegedave
Old 10-30-2005, 04:09 PM

I was in Boston last year and i played at Jillians.Went every where and couldnt find a game.They have nice tables there and plenty of em.I was taking the train from Milford and Foxsboro everyday to Boston to play.Its within walking distance one u get off the train.I would call and get the exact location but the name is Jillians.4 story building,bowling,club,pool hall and open bar on the roof.Nice place.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Since you are a student on a budget, you might want to check out The Country Cue on Rte 1 in Saugus. Rte 1 is a divided highway there, and they are on the southbound side, so I don't know if that is accessible by public transit. They have some kind of cheap daily special going that has lured players up that way.

Just south of there and also on rte 1 is World Class, which used to be one of my favorite places to play. They are "world class" when it comes to 3-c billiards, with at least four heated professional billiard tables, in addition to about 20 pool tables.

Boston Billiards is right down by Fenway Park, and some players like it, but I didn't like playing there, as it is pretty much a loud oversized bar that happens to have a whole bunch of 9' pool tables in it. Despite a fairly hefty hourly rate, they really would like to have you drinking, in my experience.

There is also Good Times Emporium in Somerville -- it is a big sports bar with lots of tables. I've not been there yet, so cannot offer anything about playing conditions, hours or cost.

I used to ride down to various Boston rooms regularly (I live in NH --> duh, NH Steve ), but for the last couple of years I mostly stick to the private social clubs (now there's an oxymoron for you!) in Manchester, because it is close and cheap, and I've got a few people playing One Pocket.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Verified Member

I am aware of most of the places you mentioned but most of them also require a car, right? I know Boston Billiards doesn't require a car, but your criticism of it is right on. I posted the same post on AZ, and I am disappointed to find out that you have listed most of the options, and most of them are great places, but I have no way to get to them.

Anyway, I guess my practice time is going to take a big hit from this.

kollegedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
Since you are a student on a budget, you might want to check out The Country Cue on Rte 1 in Saugus. Rte 1 is a divided highway there, and they are on the southbound side, so I don't know if that is accessible by public transit. They have some kind of cheap daily special going that has lured players up that way.

Just south of there and also on rte 1 is World Class, which used to be one of my favorite places to play. They are "world class" when it comes to 3-c billiards, with at least four heated professional billiard tables, in addition to about 20 pool tables.

Boston Billiards is right down by Fenway Park, and some players like it, but I didn't like playing there, as it is pretty much a loud oversized bar that happens to have a whole bunch of 9' pool tables in it. Despite a fairly hefty hourly rate, they really would like to have you drinking, in my experience.

There is also Good Times Emporium in Somerville -- it is a big sports bar with lots of tables. I've not been there yet, so cannot offer anything about playing conditions, hours or cost.

I used to ride down to various Boston rooms regularly (I live in NH --> duh, NH Steve ), but for the last couple of years I mostly stick to the private social clubs (now there's an oxymoron for you!) in Manchester, because it is close and cheap, and I've got a few people playing One Pocket.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator

What about
Sully's Billiards
445 Cambridge St
Allston, MA
(617) 254-9851

I believe it is a small second floor room that should be transit accessible.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
What about
Sully's Billiards
445 Cambridge St
Allston, MA
(617) 254-9851

I have never heard of or been to Sully's. Is the equipment decent? If so, it is definitely something I would consider. In fact, I may call them tomorrow.

kollegedave
Old 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Verified Member

Default Finally...I know when

By March '06 I SHOULD be a resident of Taxachusettes...Nice to see the different places to play and looking foward to driving to NH to battle with NH Steve HAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
What about
Sully's Billiards
445 Cambridge St
Allston, MA
(617) 254-9851

Is Sully's owned by a pool player named Sully? I played a guy named "Sully" some cheap one pocket at Rennaissance in Quincy during a trip to Boston during last year's ALCS. I remember no one in the room called it "One Pocket". I went up to him and asked him to play, and he said I'll only play "Pockets". I didn't realize that he meant "One Pocket".
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Verified Member

I the Sully you are talking about. I do not know if he is the one that owns Sully's, although it seems unlikely. You are right that people from Boston call one pocket by the name of "pockets".

kollegedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPocket9Ball
Is Sully's owned by a pool player named Sully? I played a guy named "Sully" some cheap one pocket at Rennaissance in Quincy during a trip to Boston during last year's ALCS. I remember no one in the room called it "One Pocket". I went up to him and asked him to play, and he said I'll only play "Pockets". I didn't realize that he meant "One Pocket".
Old 10-31-2005, 04:02 PM

I don't know if you can get there by train but I think Country Club Billiards in Chelmsford, half hour north of Boston, is the best choice for my money. The place is owned by a man who plays only one pocket. I have also managed to stir up a little interest in the game. Come on out, maybe we can match up.