Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Default Artie and Clyde at the "Northshore Club."

Many years ago, I don’t remember exactly, maybe Artie does, Clyde Childress came up to Freddy’s “Norhtshore Club” looking for action with a “High”$ backer. He comes in ALL cocky and talking shit! After hemming and howling around for awhile the first night, Artie and Clyde decided to play, some for $500.00 a game. Clyde has Artie stuck 4 games, Artie comes back and beats him 3 in a row, and he QUITS, and says, “I’ll play some more tomorrow, but, none of this $500.00 a game crap, We’re going to bet something!” After the match, Clyde looks over to Freddy and says, “How do you lose to this guy, He NEVER makes an easy “cross-corner!” Freddy just shrugged His shoulders.

The next day they decided to play 5 ahead for $20,000.00! Before they started the match, Freddy came around with a guy no one had seen around the room before. Freddy just introduced, Him as, “He’s a friend of mine from the neighborhood,” He was an “Italian” friend.

Before the match started, Freddy asked, “What are you guys betting?” Clyde’s backer replied, “Not enough, just 20 dimes!” Freddy doesn’t say a word, but, His ”friend” politely says, “You don’t have to just bet $20.000.00, you can bet a $100,000.00 with NO problem!” This man had NEVER seen Artie play before in life, only that Freddy told Him to bet on Artie. Well, that ended the woofing about the weak bet!

This was the MOST intense match I’d EVER seen Artie play! It was like He really wanted to teach this guy a lesson He wouldn’t forget for being SO cocky! It was REALLY something to watch, the “gear” that Artie got on this guy was, merciless, Artie proceeded to beat Clyde 5 IN A ROW! As that wasn’t bad enough, Artie let Clyde ONLY get 1 ball in the 5 games! When it was over, the backer was mad, Clyde was SO pissed off, he took his cue and stuck it in the drop ceiling! He just couldn’t believe someone could beat him that BADLY!

He looks over to Artie and can see that Artie looks like He’s pissed off too. He say’s to Artie, “What the f**k are you pissed off about, you won the MONEY, didn’t you?” Artie replies to the guy calm as can be, and says, “You really want to know what I’m hot about?” Clyde says, “You’re damn right I do!” Artie says, “If you really want to know the TRUTH, I’m hot YOU made a ball in the 5 games, I didn’t want to let YOU make1 ball!” “Now, are YOU happy!”

This is the kind of will power and intensity Artie had, when He put Himself to the test, NOT ONLY to beat someone but to humiliate them at the same time, if He thought they deserved it!

P.S. It's been brought to my attention by our resident, "detainee" in the M.O. over in cell block 926 that I misspelled Clyde's last name. I apologize for not spelling the late Mr. Chidlress name correctly.

BTW, once again, "Ronnie Allen" COULD NOT GET STAKED AT THE GAME HE AND ARTIE AGREED UPON! NOT FOR, $20.000.00, nor $10.000.00, or $5,000.00, NOT EVEN for $2,000.000!

The game they made was, 11-8, Ronnie GETS ALL THE BREAKS!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-22-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Verified Member

This is a very intriguing story and something that I would certainly have loved to see. I'm sure many others feel the same way. To play a style of one pocket that allows you to completely shut down a formidable opponent is to have the talent and knowledge that should not pass and be lost to future generations of one pocket enthusiasts.

I have never met or even seen Artie, never seen him play. To me, reading of him, he represents an era that is almost gone. It is hard for me to imagine that an individual, claiming to have as much knowledge as Artie claims unabashedly to have, and having those claims to be corroborated by many, would some day go off into eternity without sharing his knowledge and providing a record of his legacy to the game.

Whether its a book or a video, whether its for pay or for free, this needs to happen if Artie is to be remembered for what he himself claims to be, by the one pocket community. That's just my opinion Artie.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
This is a very intriguing story and something that I would certainly have loved to see. I'm sure many others feel the same way. To play a style of one pocket that allows you to completely shut down a formidable opponent is to have the talent and knowledge that should not pass and be lost to future generations of one pocket enthusiasts.

I have never met or even seen Artie, never seen him play. To me, reading of him, he represents an era that is almost gone. It is hard for me to imagine that an individual, claiming to have as much knowledge as Artie claims unabashedly to have, and having those claims to be corroborated by many, would some day go off into eternity without sharing his knowledge and providing a record of his legacy to the game.

Whether its a book or a video, whether its for pay or for free, this needs to happen if Artie is to be remembered for what he himself claims to be, by the one pocket community. That's just my opinion Artie.
If there is enough interest shown by the Pool community, this project may have a chance to come to volition! I've had, MANY, MANY hours of conversations with Him regarding His thoughts on this endeavor and it could possibly happen. Right now We're just testing the waters and kicking around some ideas. If we do come to a conclusion and reach an agreement, then maybe a "sample" page or two might be a primer that's needed.

There is a thread I started with a Poll to vote, you, yourself could start there by voting!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Verified Member

Well I live in a town about 60 miles south of where Clyde lived. In my late teens when I became hooked on the game, I always heard his name come up when talking about betting high and playing good. Every year I nominate him for the Banks Hall of Fame and ask for input about his speed. Freddie graciously shed some light about his game.
Not trying to be negative but did Artie ever lose? Doesn't everyone lose occasionally? Even as great as Buddy Hall was, he describes some losses in his fine book. Not a Doubting Thomas, just would like to hear about some (if there is any) of his defeats on the green baize. Thanks!
P.S. - would also like to hear of any Clyde stories.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG-in-KY View Post
Well I live in a town about 60 miles south of where Clyde lived. In my late teens when I became hooked on the game, I always heard his name come up when talking about betting high and playing good. Every year I nominate him for the Banks Hall of Fame and ask for input about his speed. Freddie graciously shed some light about his game.
Not trying to be negative but did Artie ever lose? Doesn't everyone lose occasionally? Even as great as Buddy Hall was, he describes some losses in his fine book. Not a Doubting Thomas, just would like to hear about some (if there is any) of his defeats on the green baize. Thanks!
P.S. - would also like to hear of any Clyde stories.
JG; I personally saw Artie lose ONE time, where HE HAD NO CHANCE to WIN that day! It was playing, "8 ball" with Jonny Cannella from Texas. They played for 8 hrs. and Johnny ONLY missed 2 balls the entire time, He had the BEST stroke I've ever seen on a "Pool" player! When it was over, Artie asked him to play some more tomorrow, He said, "Sure." He NEVER showed up! Now, what does that tell you about Artie's game, the guy just got thru playing the BEST He can play and WON"T come back to play the next day! Sounds to me the guy was smart enough to figure out that He just shot lights out and Artie still wants to play, He must of figured, "I can't play any better than that and He still wants to play!" He knew He couldn't win, ONLY with another miracle play by him!

Artie and Bugs played about 25-35 times over the years, Bugs beat Artie 7 or 8times playing EVEN! Bugs NEVER beat Artie playing EVEN or ANY OTHER WAY on a 5x10 table!

The ONLY person Artie lost to and didn't get EVEN or WIN, is when He played Isador "Pony" Rosen for $5.00 a game 1 pocket when He was learning the game. Pony had Him stuck 2 games and was about to win the 3rd, when Pony dropped DEAD in the middle of the 3rd game! Artie lost a "sawbuck" to him!

Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-22-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Great story. That is the type of one pocket I love to watch and play. You keep tightening the noose and watch good players fall apart.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Verified Member

While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he was perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer. Having said that, I do find his commentary really refreshing and I would like to see a book of his strategies. I say "strategies" because I think all the "shots" have been laid bare; it's the more subjective theories that I tend to be attracted to (think Ghost's Manifesto).

Last edited by straightback; 08-22-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer.
Straight, Have you ever seen Artie play? Do you know anyone personally that has played or seen Artie play?

Did you read the post where I stated Artie and Bugs played, Many, Many times and that Artie WON, 80% of the time. At the time they played ALL of their matches, Ronnie and Bugs were considered by most "knowledgeable" players to be #1 and #2 in the WORLD! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure where Artie fit the pecking order!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
Straight, Have you ever seen Artie play? Do you know anyone personally that has played or seen Artie play?

Did you read the post where I stated Artie and Bugs played, Many, Many times and that Artie WON, 80% of the time. At the time they played ALL of their matches, Ronnie and Bugs were considered by most "knowledgeable" players to be #1 and #2 in the WORLD! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure where Artie fit the pecking order!
I never saw him play, but I can tell from folks like yourself that he played top-flight one pocket. All I'm saying is that it is hard to believe Ronnie Allen would duck Artie getting 11-8. That is all.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
While Ronnie Allen might have had some difficulties getting staked for one match, I find it hard to believe he was perpetually scared of getting 11 to 8 from Herr Bodendorfer. Having said that, I do find his commentary really refreshing and I would like to see a book of his strategies. I say "strategies" because I think all the "shots" have been laid bare; it's the more subjective theories that I tend to be attracted to (think Ghost's Manifesto).
If I understand correctly, Ronnie was spotting Artie 11-8, but Ronnie was getting all the breaks -- so the break and the spot were sort of off-setting each other.