Administrator
From
New Hampshire
steve
this is an idea
im not completely sure how this works
but what if we blend a raffle and a pool by having a sort of calcutta
players can be nominated by committee and/or by a member buying a ticket
in support of his nominee(which can be yourself to get on the ballot)
you can support(ie vote for) your player by buying a calcutta ticket for that player
the player that generates the most support is the sponsored played
the total amount generated is divided in some way between the site and the player
just an idea
the calcutta ticket could be a to be determined amount $ (or minimum)made as a donation to the site in support of players name
I'm not sure if I correctly understand how what you are proposing would work. Let me try to rephrase it and you can correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone can make a donation to player sponsorship/OnePocket.org for whatever amount they want, large, small or in between. Making a donation entitles them to promote any player of their choice to be our sponsored player. Or, I guess they could divide their support between or among several players with instructions to me on how that support should be divided. Or they could make an open donation and their donation would either go to "administrator's choice" or they could just add to the fund.

The player that gets sponsored is the one that gets the most donation support pledged in their name (possibly combined with open pledges) by the deadline for a decision. Should I try to keep a public running tally here in the forums?

At the end, all donations are then split between the sponsor fund and helping to support OnePocket.org and the One Pocket Hall of Fame.

That is an interesting idea. You mention "combined with a raffle" -- how does the raffle work into it? Anyone who donates would also be entered to win other donated prizes like DVD's books, posters, etc?? Such as, a minimum of $20 donation entitles a chance in the raffle (or 1 for 20, 3 for 50 or 7 for 100)? I think we could obtain raffle prize donations -- we have in the past for sure.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve i think you have the "gist" of it
there should be a minimum but no maximum donation amount
i think posting the nominated players and money support would be good
like showing how many votes the HOF candidates were getting
also
it might help get some people to donate more if their player is close in the bidding

the only downside i see is each member does not have an equal vote
since the weight of their vote/endorsement is based on the amount of their donation
it was just an idea
and might not be the best way
im for whatever the group feels is best

the raffle part i really didnt think thru but since you had mentioned it i included it

since the DCC is coming real soon
it might be best to things as we have in the past for this years DCC and think about alternatives for next year
either way you can count on me for a donation:)

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Just my 2cents, but I think some here are way over thinking this.

1. Whomever the sponsored player ends up being they must agree to wear an official OnePocket.org shirt for all their matches.

2. Ask for a list of players who are actually traveling to the DCC, are playing or willing to play, and if selected, would be willing to be sponsored and wear the shirt. (Past sponsored players should be ineligible, to spread the wealth around.)

3. Assign each player a number and do something like say the first number on the lotto numbers next Monday is the winner. (This to keep it from being a popularity contest.)

I think there are already plenty of opportunities for guys here to contribute monies to the site if they wish and for the player the entry is a big enough bennie on it's own.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Just my 2cents, but I think some here are way over thinking this.

1. Whomever the sponsored player ends up being they must agree to wear an official OnePocket.org shirt for all their matches.

2. Ask for a list of players who are actually traveling to the DCC, are playing or willing to play, and if selected, would be willing to be sponsored and wear the shirt. (Past sponsored players should be ineligible, to spread the wealth around.)

3. Assign each player a number and do something like say the first number on the lotto numbers next Monday is the winner. (This to keep it from being a popularity contest.)

I think there are already plenty of opportunities for guys here to contribute monies to the site if they wish and for the player the entry is a big enough bennie on it's own.

Lou Figueroa
I am interested in long term ideas for what is the best way to do this. But time is short now.

I think we have nominations of Bernie and Lou for the One Pocket and Deeman for Banks. Also Col Billie was nominated but I don't think it was specified One Pocket or Banks, but we can include him in the mix. The only other eligible name that has been mentioned (ruling out past sponsored players and non OnePocket.org members), is Billy Incardona. That's five players to choose from unless someone wants to add more.

Step up soon if you want to add more names, and please correct me if I missed someone!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Hell, add me too.

I like Lou's post about it and agree with it.

I like Lou's post also. I definitely think they should wear a shirt like that, especially if it is a streamed or televised match. Great idea..

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I like Lou's post also. I definitely think they should wear a shirt like that, especially if it is a streamed or televised match. Great idea..
I believe most of the sponsored players have been good about wearing OnePocket.org shirts. I will be bringing some with me this year too.

Steve Lomako
Bernie Pettipiece
Lou Figueroa
Deeman
Col Bille
Billy Incardona

I don't think we have heard directly if Deeman or Billy I want this -- they were both nominated by others and I don't think they have chimed in yet.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just read that Big Jim is planning to go to DCC again -- he might be interested in sponsorship in the Banks :)

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I think the only other stipulation should be that anyone nominated should have some kind of connection to the group. Whatever that means should probably be up to Steve to decide.

Lou Figueroa

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Remove me from consideration...

Remove me from consideration...

Wish I could remain but some family issues have come up that I may not be able to attend Derby... If I do, I will pay my own freight... Thanks for the nomination... it would be an honor...

If it comes down to a vote, I vote for Bernie P, one-pocket and Deeman for Banks...

Bille

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Wish I could remain but some family issues have come up that I may not be able to attend Derby... If I do, I will pay my own freight... Thanks for the nomination... it would be an honor...

If it comes down to a vote, I vote for Bernie P, one-pocket and Deeman for Banks...

Bille

bille hope all turns out ok

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I believe most of the sponsored players have been good about wearing OnePocket.org shirts. I will be bringing some with me this year too.

Steve Lomako
Bernie Pettipiece
Lou Figueroa
Deeman
Col Bille
Billy Incardona

I don't think we have heard directly if Deeman or Billy I want this -- they were both nominated by others and I don't think they have chimed in yet.

for what its worth
post counts
Steve Lomako 486
Bernie Pettipiece 144
Lou Figueroa 888
Deeman 1166
Col Bille has withdrawn from nomination
Billy Incardona 3388

i also feel strong consideration should be given to contribution to the site
not just ability to play
so i vote for billy I ,lou and deeman

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I think Lou and Bernie are fine choices for one pocket, perhaps we can get two guys in, put me down for a $50 contribution to the cause. :)

P.S. As for banks which I have never played a game of it in my life (well less than 10), lets put Deeman in. ;)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I don't know if any of these guys are going to the DCC - probably not most of them...but in case they are...

Along with the guys already nominated, I also nominate:

Larry

Dennis

vapros

Androd

Sappo

Dudley

CaliRed

Miller

Jimmy B

petie

These are all good guys, long time members, and are major contributors to the site.

- Ghost

PS, And they would all represent us/onepocket.org well, and not embarass us in any way at the DCC....well, ok, ok, maybe Dennis or Jimmy could possibly do something to embarass us :eek: :D - but I'd be willing to take a chance on them...:heh

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I don't know if any of these guys are going to the DCC - probably not most of them...but in case they are...

I also nominate:

Larry

Dennis

vapros

Androd

Sappo

Dudley

CaliRed

Miller

Jimmy B

petie

These are all good guys, long time members, and constant contributors to the site...:heh

- Ghost

PS, And they would all represent us/onepocket.org well, and not embarass us in any way at the DCC....well, ok, ok, maybe Dennis or Jimmy could possibly do something to embarass us :eek: :D - but I'd be willing to take a chance on them...:heh

Thanks a lot for the mention, Luke, but I haven't been playing. There is not even a half decent room in this area and I won't travel much distance to play pool anymore, but I can't tell you how much I miss having a local room to haunt. The folks on your list are all fine candidates, but I lean toward Deeman, Lou and Bernie P.., Dudley and CaliRed at this time..

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
It seems like some of the desirable themes in this dicussion kind of keep coming back to the following criteria:

(1) Somebody that hasn't been sponsored in the past

(2) A contributor with a track record at 1P.org

(3) Someone who will represent themselves (and by proxy the site) with class and integrity

(4) Plays at a relative high level

I am going to pitch in a few bucks regardless of who is chosen.

Being objective while trying to keep personal admirations and regional pre-dispositions aside, I believe Lou Figueroa represents all the aforementioned (and he seems to have a propensity for finding his way to the TV/stream table as well.....).

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ghostie, thanks for the thought, but you are too late. I have already spent the check they send me every year to stay away. This is one reason that you never see me playing in the DCC. Actually, there is another reason, too. :heh

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Steve Lomako
Bernie Pettipiece
Lou Figueroa
Deeman
Col Bille
Billy Incardona

I would like to thank whoever nominated me for the DCC one pocket but i'm going to have to decline. I would like to play in the tournament but I can't gamble and play in the tournament both. I simply don't have the energy to do both. I probably don't have enough energy to gamble , which was evidenced in Tunica. However, i'm going to try again maybe i'll do better, I hope.

Whomever is chosen i'm sure will be the right person, based off of the list of nominee's. Good luck to whomever is chosen.

Count me in for $100 donation.

Dr. Billy I.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Okay, here is my revised list. I am not including any players that have already opted out, or already been sponsored in the past, or are non-members. I have at the top a small group of players who have been nominated and have confirmed their interest/availability.

These confirmed candidates are:

Steve Lomako (either Banks or One Pocket ?)
Bernie Pettipiece (One Pocket)
Lou Figueroa (One Pocket ?)
Deeman (Banks)

In addition, there are other players who have been nominated but we do not know for sure if they can accept and represent us or not. These players will need to chime in if they want to be considered -- also it would be good to know if they want to be considered for Banks or One Pocket (that goes for a couple of the above players as well):

Unconfirmed nominations:

Larry
Dennis
Androd
Sappo
Dudley
CaliRed
Miller
Petie
Big Jim (Banks)

Let's try to clear up the field by say next Wednesday night, so we can move on to making our final choices.

PS It is great to see posts here and there (and private messages) offering $$ support -- keep that coming if it is something you can help with, because definitely for some players, they could use the extra support. You can do it anonymously or publicly -- whatever your preference it is still appreciated!!