Which WEI should I go?

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I need three balls, and I have pocket A. My opponent needs six. I have all the balls gathered in my area, (random arrangement) but I don't have a good offensive shot. I can feather the 5 ball and leave the cue ball in the upper left corner, but that's too passive and I don't want to force my man to take a desperate shot, as it could come out badly for me.

I think I want to kick two rails out of the upper left corner and return to move a ball or two nearer my pocket, but what is the best way? Should I go short rail first and use running english, or hit the long rail first, using holding english? Which offers better control? Any other possibilities?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DJjF4EGqN4Fajl4HIMe4IMlU4KTVh4LWAA4OLel4PEWX4QdWv@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
I need three balls, and I have pocket A. My opponent needs six. I have all the balls gathered in my area, (random arrangement) but I don't have a good offensive shot. I can feather the 5 ball and leave the cue ball in the upper left corner, but that's too passive and I don't want to force my man to take a desperate shot, as it could come out badly for me.

I think I want to kick two rails out of the upper left corner and return to move a ball or two nearer my pocket, but what is the best way? Should I go short rail first and use running english, or hit the long rail first, using holding english? Which offers better control? Any other possibilities?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DJjF4EGqN4Fajl4HIMe4IMlU4KTVh4LWAA4OLel4PEWX4QdWv@[/CUETABLE]

Vapros, I'd probably try to move 2 or3 balls uptable, but if you don't want to be passive, you may make him take a desperate shot anyway. Here's one thats better than a kick IMO.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DJjF4EGqN4FbAj4HIMe4IMlU4KTVh4LWAA4OLel4PDpg4QdWv4abAj4acnU2aQWn2abxe4aGHi4kDpg4kabr4kcPN4kPhm3kcLm1kCPT@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
vapros said:
I think I want to kick two rails out of the upper left corner and return to move a ball or two nearer my pocket, but what is the best way? Should I go short rail first and use running english, or hit the long rail first, using holding english?

v-man......You want to kick at the balls here?...:eek:...:rolleyes:...please look at the pic I have posted just for you, this time.....:D....

If you don't want to play the score and you want to stay on offense, then just thin the 5 and go down to the left corner....otherwise send some balls up-table.

- Ghost

PS, I'm saving my circus pic...I'm sure some of you will be making me use it again....:rolleyes:....:cool:

Attachments

• CIRCUS.jpg
    CIRCUS.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0

beatle

Verified Member
the balls dont lay well for him to get many so i wouldnt waste mu next few shots trying to get them up table.
you have a couple of balls you can 3 rail bank here to knock some other one into your hole or get one close like the nine maybe.
i wouldnt want to have him with a ball up table he can bank and get behind your balls. they lay too good for you right now. save it for when he has to knck a few out for himself.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
beatle said:
the balls dont lay well for him to get many so i wouldnt waste mu next few shots trying to get them up table.
you have a couple of balls you can 3 rail bank here to knock some other one into your hole or get one close like the nine maybe.
i wouldnt want to have him with a ball up table he can bank and get behind your balls. they lay too good for you right now. save it for when he has to knck a few out for himself.
I agree with your thinking, 3 rail the 11 ball isn't a bad option if it's available. Just make sure that the shot you choose isn't risky, in terms of scratching.

Sometimes needing only 3 balls isn't easy to get, don't concede strong positions like this one because you want to protect your lead. Keep in mind that ball position is either an asset, or a detriment, and in this instance it is clearly an asset. In this position needing 1 or 2 balls may persuade me to play balls up table, but not 3.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
OPG, why do I get the vague feeling that you don't think I should kick at this pattern? You're too subtle for an old man living on a bayou in south Louisiana. That's okay. I'm here to entertain you.

After these first three responses I'm left thinking that the safe, off the 5 ball, is the only way to go. Sending balls uptable is suggested, without any specific suggestions for it. If I shoot gently enough to send the 6, or 11 or 12 up the table I am left with the very real problem of sending the cue ball to a good spot at the same time. Not easy, to say the least. The 11 or 12 might be 3-railed, and the rock forced forward to the top rail, but the safe still seems better.

That's what I will do, unless I get a better offer. And I'll bet AB won't laugh at my two-rail kick. He could pull this off 33 times out of 34, according to my calculations.

Also, better watch yourself. Obama might suggest which day I should die, but he will never allow you guys to ridicule me between now and then.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if you 3 rail the 11 (which i like better than the 9) you will still leave the q up table. and when you move the balls you may open up a track for him to move balls away and play safe. i like thinning the five and leaving him as close as possible froze on the end rail by the corner on his side maybe one diamond over. question for anyone where on the end rail would you try to leave the q after thinning the 5

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros you cam pm me so there is no hijack how are the 3 railers coming? goota go now be back later.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
vapros,

Here's a simple yet effective shot. You do have to hit the 6 full enough to not scratch in the corner though, which will make the 6 travel farther and maybe into the stack.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DJjF4EGqN4Fajl4HIMe4IMlU4KTVh4LWAA4OLel4PEWX4QdWv4aajl4aQdy4kEWX4kXOf4kbXb2kDxk2kGCE@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
vapros,

Here's a simple yet effective shot. You do have to hit the 6 full enough to not scratch in the corner though, which will make the 6 travel farther and maybe into the stack.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DJjF4EGqN4Fajl4HIMe4IMlU4KTVh4LWAA4OLel4PEWX4QdWv4aajl4aQdy4kEWX4kXOf4kbXb2kDxk2kGCE@[/CUETABLE]
I don't think that shot will work to your advantage because of the way the
11 ball and the 12 ball are positioned. If you notice given the correct angle your opponent will be able to shoot the 11 into the 12 ball moving both balls toward his side and reposition the cue ball in back of the remaining cluster.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When balls are positioned like, or similiar to this layout, it would benefit the shooter to try to reposition a ball near the foot rail as close to his pocket as possible. It would suffice if a ball was positioned even a diamond away from the shooters pocket near the foot rail. As long as the repositioned ball was hidden by the cluster, and cue ball repositioned up table in a spot where your opponent can not see the repositioned ball by your pocket. The result of this shot would be a situation that your opponent will have his hands full in trying to escape unscathed, which in most cases he won't be able to do.:mad: Understanding this gives you a plan to achieve the best way possible.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I don't think that shot will work to your advantage because of the way the
11 ball and the 12 ball are positioned. If you notice given the correct angle your opponent will be able to shoot the 11 into the 12 ball moving both balls toward his side and reposition the cue ball in back of the remaining cluster.
THe 6 ball is in a good position. I would not move the 6 ball it makes my position very strong and its the only ball that will go in youre pocket on the left side. You need to barly touch the 5 ball into the 8and 9 ball ann go to rails and freeze him on the end rail on the first dimond. And going off the 5 ball is a easier shot then cutting the 6 ball. And by shooting the 6 ball you give your opponent a shot to run out and clear the balls on your side ove the table. And by going off the 5 ball he will stay on deffense and you will keep your position. Were the other way you give up your big advantage. And you could loose the game on your next shot. And the 6 ball is protecting that side ove the table for you.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
if you 3 rail the 11 (which i like better than the 9) you will still leave the q up table. and when you move the balls you may open up a track for him to move balls away and play safe. i like thinning the five and leaving him as close as possible froze on the end rail by the corner on his side maybe one diamond over. question for anyone where on the end rail would you try to leave the q after thinning the 5
is it better to leave him on the first diamond on the short rail or the first diamond on the long rail or somewherelse? and why???

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
vapros said:
Sending balls uptable is suggested, without any specific suggestions for it.

v-man.......Here's the specifics for you, if choosing that conservative/defensive option....

Just shoot dead ahead at the middle of the 5 ball, resulting in the 5, 8, 4, and 15 all going bye bye - and draw your rock back freezing it to the rail.

- Ghost

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
is it better to leave him on the first diamond on the short rail or the first diamond on the long rail or somewherelse? and why???
THe end rail is way better becuse you have a tougher angle to hit the eight ball on his next shot. And he is shooting a longer shot. And he is shooting completly off the rail instead ove the side of the rail witch he can do more with the cue ball. Thats some ove the whys but thier are more. And that should help you. THats very good asking Why? that is the most importantpart ove the whole shot. Keep asking WHY and you will learn a lot more then you could ever learn by taking lessions. 1 when people give lessions they tell you what to do and shot. 2 when you ask why you are gitting your qoistion answered not thiers. And thats how you learn getting your qouistioned answerd. And some people give lessions and just keep talking and telling you what to do. Without explaining the Whys. If you get a lession and the instructor is telling you why then its a good chance he knowes what he is doing and is giving you the correct answers. If he does not explain WHY to you then you need to get a new instructor. Because you learn more by getting your qouistioned answered then his. But that is very good that you asked Why. It makes me feel like thier are people who understand and how important it is to no why you are shooting what you are shooting. Ask youself that qouistion on every shot you shot. And your game and thinking will improve 40% or more. Good Job.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
vapros said:

No kicking here. Your position is way too strong and the score indicates you don't need to do anything aggressive. Coming off the 5 looks like the best shot to me. He won't even be able to kick the 6 if you leave him on the long rail.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I'm going to play the 12 3 rails with follow . I think the 12 lays alot better for a 3 rail than the 6. By following the 12 my cue is up table and even if the 12 doesn't go it may knock a ball in or closer to my hole.--Smitty

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
THe end rail is way better becuse you have a tougher angle to hit the eight ball on his next shot. And he is shooting a longer shot. And he is shooting completly off the rail instead ove the side of the rail witch he can do more with the cue ball. Thats some ove the whys but thier are more. And that should help you. THats very good asking Why? that is the most importantpart ove the whole shot. Keep asking WHY and you will learn a lot more then you could ever learn by taking lessions. 1 when people give lessions they tell you what to do and shot. 2 when you ask why you are gitting your qoistion answered not thiers. And thats how you learn getting your qouistioned answerd. And some people give lessions and just keep talking and telling you what to do. Without explaining the Whys. If you get a lession and the instructor is telling you why then its a good chance he knowes what he is doing and is giving you the correct answers. If he does not explain WHY to you then you need to get a new instructor. Because you learn more by getting your qouistioned answered then his. But that is very good that you asked Why. It makes me feel like thier are people who understand and how important it is to no why you are shooting what you are shooting. Ask youself that qouistion on every shot you shot. And your game and thinking will improve 40% or more. Good Job.
Did you know that people shoot shots and dont even know WHY. All they know is that its thier turn to shoot.

beatle

Verified Member
yea smitty, you want to get a three railer here and hit another ball towards your hole. right on. if you can get on near he can get maybe rail first on the six and leave you in front of your hole with you in trouble of some kind.