Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
Funny, all these years as a very average banker, I believed that the top bankers shot at warp speed to maintain the same angle on all banks. In other words, I thought that shooting hard did away with the variation in rebound as the object ball does not have "time" to pick up roll and the very tight compression of the cushion made for consistent rebounds. I never thought it was for pocket acceptance as John has pointed out. I have found I win more with a very heavy balance toward hard strokes, say 80 hard and the remaining 20% at less speed for positional purposes.

Does my old theory not hold any water?

DeeMan
I certainly don't know nearly as much about banking as Brumback, or Freddy, but I also believe in what you wrote as true. Maybe we're wrong but it makes good sense.

Dr. Bill
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
I certainly don't know nearly as much about banking as Brumback, or Freddy, but I also believe in what you wrote as true. Maybe we're wrong but it makes good sense.

Dr. Bill
I don't think your wrong.Just another good reason to go along with it. IMO John B.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Verified Member

Default banking hard

I've been playing banks for 56 years or so, give or take. I know where John Broomback is coming from and agree with him. I also like Freddie's point of view.
Sometimes on a worn in cloth on a smart table, the going can get a little tuff with rocket speed banks, so at that time i like finessing them in.
Jim
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
I've been playing banks for 56 years or so, give or take. I know where John Broomback is coming from and agree with him. I also like Freddie's point of view.
Sometimes on a worn in cloth on a smart table, the going can get a little tuff with rocket speed banks, so at that time i like finessing them in.
Jim
Good point Big Jim.Yep on that ole worn out dirty cloth you gots to hit him real good or take some speed off,maybe. Hey....broomback...? not you too? John B.

PS: this Big Jim guy know's bankpool inside and out, even though he's getting up there and can't handle going to tunica Just knockin your action,Big Jim and messin witch ya
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Verified Member

Default tunica

John Broomback,
I been trying to work up the nerve to drive 405 miles to tunica, but i figgered by the time i got there i would need a really long nap and wouldn't feel like playing pool or watching, lol. Good luck to you my friend and knock em down if you get a chance.......
Old 06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Verified Member

John,

When I was a lot younger and traveling with Taylor he made it very clear that banking hard made the pocket accept the balls better.

Many times he would miss an end rail bank by a diamond and it would scurry in the hole.

I asked him about and he told me it was a combination of speed and center ball.

What I think has changed is the transition to Diamond tables, smaller pockets and Simmonis cloth. I often wish I could see Taylor play today to see what he did.

I used to be a pretty good banker on Gold Crown tables. Played even with James Brown but didn't play it much.

When I started back playing after 40 years I found the conditions difficult to say the least.

On the Gold Crown banks seemed to be all speed and angle. Now on the new Diamonds there seems to be a new variable.

I have recently spent a lot of time studying banks and it seems to me that what is new is the way the object ball acts. The rubber seems so sensitive that the slightest variation in the way the cue ball hits the object ball causes a wide variation in the angle off the rail.

I have discovered that a straight back and straight thru stroke (kind of a push with speed) eliminates most of the cue ball variables and I am making 50% more banks.

Perhaps this is all the way good bankers play?

Anyway it is working great for me.

Bill Stroud
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post

I have discovered that a straight back and straight thru stroke (kind of a push with speed) eliminates most of the cue ball variables and I am making 50% more banks.

Perhaps this is all the way good bankers play?

Anyway it is working great for me.

Bill Stroud
Bill,

Isn't a "straight back & straight through" stroke the stroke that most good players strive for (but don't usually accomplish)? Not just bankers? What's so special about your "discovery"? It's basic fundamentals.

Dennis
Old 06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Bill,

Isn't a "straight back & straight through" stroke the stroke that most good players strive for (but don't usually accomplish)? Not just bankers? What's so special about your "discovery"? It's basic fundamentals.

Dennis
Dennis,

It's not the straight back and straight through stroke I am talking about.

It's more like you are scooting the cue ball with a push that seems to eliminate unwanted English on the cue ball and creates more consistency in the way you strike the object ball.

I would need to show you what I am talking about.

If you are in Phoenix this fall I can show you. I just bought a home in Scottsdale so I will be spending the winters there.

Bill Stroud
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Dennis,

It's not the straight back and straight through stroke I am talking about.

It's more like you are scooting the cue ball with a push that seems to eliminate unwanted English on the cue ball and creates more consistency in the way you strike the object ball.

I would need to show you what I am talking about.

If you are in Phoenix this fall I can show you. I just bought a home in Scottsdale so I will be spending the winters there.

Bill Stroud
Bill,

I know you were a very good player. Do you think there's a possibility that you are simply rediscovering things you may have forgotten about during your 40 year layoff? It sounds to me like you are simply following-through. No big secret to it and it's nothing new. Here's a pic of me and the way I follow-through (bottom pic) on normal length shots. The joint of my cue ends up in my bridge hand. This technique creates much consistency in the way I strike the object ball also.

Name:  CBD.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  33.7 KB

I'd really like to visit Phoenix but I actually just back from spending a few days there. I left many gifts laying around town. I hope the Duck finds one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/us...ashlights.html
Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Verified Member

John,

Does this principle also apply to straight backs? Shooting a straight back with hard speed seems to reduce the pocket size, but maybe it is still easier to pocket with hard speed?

When I shoot straight backs on a tight table, I will struggle to make one at all because they have a tendency to rattle.