Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Cowboy Dennis's Avatar
Cowboy Dennis Cowboy Dennis is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit,Michigan
Posts: 11,123
Default S. Daulton vs. R. Saez 2012 D.C.C.

Saez is up 3-1 this game and it's his shot. What would you do?

Name:  rs1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  rs2.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  54.8 KB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM
wincardona wincardona is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas Tx.
Posts: 7,141
Default

His priority is controlling the cue ball in this position, he can't afford to leave the table where the cue ball will be left at the foot end of the table. There are two options that I see that are both viable, providing you can execute them.

#1. He can think aggressively and bank the 6 ball two cushions to the pocket to his right (top left corner) and draw the cue ball to the top rail. Emphasis should be directed to more cue ball than 6 ball, but still try to score the ball. This shot should be hit with the speed to control both balls. (cue ball and 6 ball)

Sorry got to go
I'm back to explain the other option.

#2. I like banking the 6 ball cross table between the 5 and 9 balls, using a center ball. Many players will use a tip of inside english shooting this shot imo it's not safe to shoot it in that fashion, too risky. You can either scratch one rail into the side or corner depending on either the hit or amount of english you use.

** Another option would be to bank the 6 ball one cushion to the top left pocket, this shot to me is very risky because of the return shots that you could leave shooting it. If this shot is hit reasonably well it could double the corner and sell out an easy cross corner bank with position potential. I've been burned too many times with this shot, to some they might like it but not my choice.

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 07-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 AM
oldspurguy's Avatar
oldspurguy oldspurguy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 337
Default

I don't see the six going two rails in the corner, it could go two rails in the side.

I like banking the six softly towards the cluster of balls, concentrating on bringing the cueball ball back to the head rail, near the center diamond.

If I was a hall-of-famer like some of you guys, or Bugs Rucker, I would probably just bank the nine straight back, stop the cueball, and then bank the five cross corner for the win.

Last edited by oldspurguy; 07-09-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM
fred bentivegna's Avatar
fred bentivegna fred bentivegna is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chicago illinois
Posts: 6,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
His priority is controlling the cue ball in this position, he can't afford to leave the table where the cue ball will be left at the foot end of the table. There are two options that I see that are both viable, providing you can execute them.

#1. He can think aggressively and bank the 6 ball two cushions to the pocket to his right (top left corner) and draw the cue ball to the top rail. Emphasis should be directed to more cue ball than 6 ball, but still try to score the ball. This shot should be hit with the speed to control both balls. (cue ball and 6 ball)

Sorry got to go
I'm back to explain the other option.

#2. I like banking the 6 ball cross table between the 5 and 9 balls, using a center ball. Many players will use a tip of inside english shooting this shot imo it's not safe to shoot it in that fashion, too risky. You can either scratch one rail into the side or corner depending on either the hit or amount of english you use.

** Another option would be to bank the 6 ball one cushion to the top left pocket, this shot to me is very risky because of the return shots that you could leave shooting it. If this shot is hit reasonably well it could double the corner and sell out an easy cross corner bank with position potential. I've been burned too many times with this shot, to some they might like it but not my choice.

Dr. Bill

Both options are stiffs, especially the 2 in the side. If you can control the speed of both balls on this shot I will move next door to SczBill. (Draw the ball 4 diamonds and keep the object ball from going past the side pocket?)option #2
The way it lays on the 6 ball looks like you will have to pocket the 6 in the side in order to get back down table. Hitting it full enough to get to the good side of the side pocket will probably slow the cue ball down considerably. So much so that it probably wouldnt go past the side pocket on the return trip.

Beard

However, I agree completely on the 3rd option with you, that it is a stiff.
Your batting average is improving, you got 1 out of 3 right.
__________________
New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
www.bankingwiththebeard.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 8,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspurguy View Post
I don't see the six going two rails in the corner, it could go two rails in the side.

I like banking the six softly towards the cluster of balls, concentrating on bringing the cueball ball back to the head rail, near the center diamond.

If I was a hall-of-famer like some of you guys, or Bugs Rucker, I would probably just bank the nine straight back, stop the cueball, and then bank the five cross corner for the win.
That's the shot I'd look at. However the 6 is laying a little precariously. On the side view it looks like the shooter could cut it so as to bank it to the cluster and roll the CB uptable to the head rail. But from the aerial view, it looks like the 6 would have to be hit full enough that it would: 1. cause the 6 to possibly double bank, or 2. to not allow enough steam on the CB to get back uptable.

Beard may be right, that the 6 may have to be cut in the side, which brings a possible scratch into play. Also I wouldn't be wanting to leave the 6 on the spot, depending upon where whitey ends up.

The 9-ball might be able to be rolled in straight back, but it certainly doesn't look like it could go with any speed. That means that the CB would be left down in no-man's land for return banks by the opponent.

Doc
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Cowboy Dennis's Avatar
Cowboy Dennis Cowboy Dennis is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit,Michigan
Posts: 11,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
His priority is controlling the cue ball in this position, he can't afford to leave the table where the cue ball will be left at the foot end of the table. There are two options that I see that are both viable, providing you can execute them.

#1. He can think aggressively and bank the 6 ball two cushions to the pocket to his right (top left corner) and draw the cue ball to the top rail. Emphasis should be directed to more cue ball than 6 ball, but still try to score the ball. This shot should be hit with the speed to control both balls. (cue ball and 6 ball)

Sorry got to go
I'm back to explain the other option.

#2. I like banking the 6 ball cross table between the 5 and 9 balls, using a center ball. Many players will use a tip of inside english shooting this shot imo it's not safe to shoot it in that fashion, too risky. You can either scratch one rail into the side or corner depending on either the hit or amount of english you use.

** Another option would be to bank the 6 ball one cushion to the top left pocket, this shot to me is very risky because of the return shots that you could leave shooting it. If this shot is hit reasonably well it could double the corner and sell out an easy cross corner bank with position potential. I've been burned too many times with this shot, to some they might like it but not my choice.

Dr. Bill
what would you do?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Banks Banks is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 386
Default

I wouldn't try messing with the 9 unless I'm spot on. I'd take the 6 back with a little draw to zig-zag the CB. You miss that 9 and you could be up a creek real quick. I would just hope that letting the CB somewhat loose wouldn't bite me in the ass when going for the 6.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:17 PM
wincardona wincardona is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas Tx.
Posts: 7,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Both options are stiffs, especially the 2 in the side. (WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT 2 IN THE SIDE?, IT'S THE 6 BALL AND IT GOES TWO IN THE CORNER) If you can control the speed of both balls on this shot I will move next door to SczBill. (Draw the ball 4 diamonds and keep the object ball from going past the side pocket?)option #2 (OPTION #2 LAYS PERFECT TO CUT CROSS BANK THE 6 BALL CROSS TABLE BETWEEN THE 5 AND 9 BALLS. i CAN EXECUTE THIS SHOT 100% OF THE TIME)
The way it lays on the 6 ball looks like you will have to pocket the 6 in the side in order to get back down table. Hitting it full enough to get to the good side of the side pocket will probably slow the cue ball down considerably. So much so that it probably wouldnt go past the side pocket on the return trip.

Beard

However, I agree completely on the 3rd option with you, that it is a stiff.
Your batting average is improving, you got 1 out of 3 right.
What are you putting in your meatballs, acid?
I have noticed that you have this guy from Detroit endorsing all your rebuttals, invite him to Chicago when I go there, around mid August. The three of us can eat spaghetti and play both banks and one pocket, don't forget about inviting the Ghost too.

While i'm there I can wright a book about banks that go, which i'll name the book "Banks that go and do" Plus i'll autograph all three books for you and your other two cheer leaders and then you guy's can pick up a few pointers about not only how to play better, but also how to win while playing.

Dr. Bill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
oldspurguy's Avatar
oldspurguy oldspurguy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 337
Default

I guess I need to get Beard's books and DVD's because I'm still not seeing the six two rails in the corner.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:13 PM
fred bentivegna's Avatar
fred bentivegna fred bentivegna is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chicago illinois
Posts: 6,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspurguy View Post
I guess I need to get Beard's books and DVD's because I'm still not seeing the six two rails in the corner.
I must concede to Billy boy. I thought he meant 2 in the side. 2 in the corner can go. It can go on new cloth, but on older cloth you would need a little rt hand english to bring it short enough. It is a possible option, but you would have to blast it to make sure the 6 ball returns to the foot of the table. What often happens, however is the ball will bobble in the intended corner and then stay on the head of the table, leaving cross side or cross corner.
This also happens often on straight backs when one is trying to shoot it and play safe by pulling the cue ball back to the head rail. The difference between the difficulty of a straight back and a 2 in the corner however, is significant. That's why it is usually ok to shoot the straight back but pass on the 2 in the corner.

Beard
__________________
New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
www.bankingwiththebeard.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.