Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
It is the only reasonable shot. However, you do not need to complicate the matter with draw. Just roll the 2 ball in and the cue ball will be on the rail and your oppo will have a very difficult time not leaving you a shot. Players that continue to look for these opportunities will continue to win at bank pool.

Beard
I like your reasoning about playing safe but in this situation the balls aren't laying good for either player which makes the bank on the 1ball more appealing. You can take a lower percentage shot imo if the penalty for missing is smaller than the reward for making the bank, which it looks to me it is in this case.

Dr. Bill
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Verified Member

Default The reason I lose at bank pool

I would shoot the six, low outside, trying to hit the 4, and run out from there...

B
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Verified Member

The reason I lose at bank pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
I would shoot the six, low outside, trying to hit the 4, and run out from there...

B
You answered your own question before you even asked it.

Beard
Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
I like your reasoning about playing safe but in this situation the balls aren't laying good for either player which makes the bank on the 1ball more appealing. You can take a lower percentage shot imo if the penalty for missing is smaller than the reward for making the bank, which it looks to me it is in this case.

Dr. Bill

Its not the worst choice in the world, but it is not the correct choice. What you and so many Non-Genius (like me) bank pool movers usually fail to realize, because you think you are using good, clear reasoning and logic, is that you dont fully consider the total aftermath of your choice.
While the table is relatively clogged up with not many good bank openings, and you dont necessarily have to leave a soft, easy natural if you miss, what you absolutely will do, is leave the cue ball very close to object balls. Not a very good idea if you are playing a real banker. While my choices off of your leave might be 2 or 3 railer's or funny looking cross corners or straight backs, due to the nature of being so close to the object ball my, and any good bankers, percentages go way up. Even at my age I will beat King Kong if he leaves me a foot or less away from the object ball.
Also, in case there is no shot available at all, any safety that I choose to shoot I should be able to execute perfectly and possibly put you in trouble anyway.

Beard

In Chicago I cant find enough eggs to shoot at the straight back. All the people I play roll the two in and dare me to go from there.

Bottom line, there is almost nothing that can go wrong with the 2 ball. Shooting the one ball, unless you make it, and it is about 8 to 5 that you or almost anybody else dont, I could fill a book with the things that could go wrong.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Verified Member

I would guess John would also shoot the 1 straight back. Lets see what he would do?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
In Chicago I cant find enough eggs to shoot at the straight back. All the people I play roll the two in and dare me to go from there.
I haven't played serious Banks in years but my memories are of having nothing to shoot from there because my opponent would roll the 2 in and leave me there. Nobody I ever played would do anything else from there and neither would I.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Its not the worst choice in the world, but it is not the correct choice. What you and so many Non-Genius (like me) bank pool movers usually fail to realize, because you think you are using good, clear reasoning and logic, is that you dont fully consider the total aftermath of your choice.
While the table is relatively clogged up with not many good bank openings, and you dont necessarily have to leave a soft, easy natural if you miss, what you absolutely will do, is leave the cue ball very close to object balls. Not a very good idea if you are playing a real banker.<--what about a 'REAL GOOD' pocket speed banker ?..jes askin' While my choices off of your leave might be 2 or 3 railer's or funny looking cross corners or straight backs, due to the nature of being so close to the object ball my, and any good bankers, percentages go way up. Even at my age I will beat King Kong if he leaves me a foot or less away from the object ball.
Also, in case there is no shot available at all, any safety that I choose to shoot I should be able to execute perfectly and possibly put you in trouble anyway.

Beard

Bottom line, there is almost nothing that can go wrong with the 2 ball. Shooting the one ball, unless you make it, and it is about 8 to 5 that you or almost anybody else dont, I could fill a book with the things that could go wrong.
You have included only six (6) actual "Brags" in the above post...You will not stay ahead of Whackoff-ers "faux paus" at that pace..(jes' sayin')
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Verified Member

I answer this question, choosing correctly between the safety and the straight back differently then Freddy or Billy, etc....to me the answer is predicated on the speed of the player shooting - i.e....

For a low, average, and up to B speed banker, the 2ball safety is the correct shot - period....for a top speed banker like John B., Shannon, Alex, etc. - the safety or the straight back are both acceptable as the shot choice here.

- Ghost
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX View Post
You have included only six (6) actual "Brags" in the above post...You will not stay ahead of Whackoff-ers "faux paus" at that pace..(jes' sayin')
Aren't you praying in the wrong church, GolfBrain? What is in my post is actual valuable information that someone can bet their money doing. And if you are looking for a real brag, here it is. My suggestions come from being one of the few players on this forum that has actually put his bank principles in play for the last 50 years, actually playing the best bank pool players in the world!
Are you trying to carry our feud to the point that you would go so far as to try and demean something that some interested player might get some use out of -- while as usual, offering nada to someone trying to learn?
Please refer your bank thoughts to the Golf Channel.

Beard
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
I answer this question, choosing correctly between the safety and the straight back differently then Freddy or Billy, etc....to me the answer is predicated on the speed of the player shooting - i.e....

For a low, average, and up to B speed banker, the 2ball safety is the correct shot - period....for a top speed banker like John B., Shannon, Alex, etc. - the safety or the straight back are both acceptable as the shot choice here.

- Ghost
Ghost it is almost insulting to think that when I made my recommendation to play safe that I hadn't already considered what an "A" player should do. Especially since I have probably, in the last 50 years played as many top bankers, for big money and in their home courts, as anybody that ever lived. That is a fact, not a brag.
I played Jeff Carter last night, who is a top banker. He wouldnt have -- unless he was way behind -- shot at that 1 ball with a knife at his throat.

Another thing, the fact that some of today's top bankers would shoot at the one ball has zero to do with the fact as to whether or not it is the right shot.
Poor percentages and strategy can take a bite out of anybody's ass.

Beard

Finally, no one has yet addressed the, "leaving the cue ball close to the object ball," bank pool axiom that I had earlier provided. We gonna just wish that away? Ask Jeff Carter how he likes leaving me close to object balls.