Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Aren't you praying in the wrong church, GolfBrain? What is in my post is actual valuable information that someone can bet their money doing. And if you are looking for a real brag, here it is. My suggestions come from being one of the few players on this forum that has actually put his bank principles in play for the last 50 years, actually playing the best bank pool players in the world!<--Please tell me why, getting your brains beat out for the last 50 years, by all the best player's...qualifies you as an expert ? (sorry, couldn't resist) <--Note smiley faces, before you implode.
Are you trying to carry our feud to the point that you would go so far as to try and demean something that some interested player might get some use out of -- while as usual, offering nada to someone trying to learn?
Please refer your bank thoughts to the Golf Channel.

Beard
Good idea about the Golf Channel though..Then I'd be rid of 3 big 'pain in the asses.' But alas, I can not let my fan club down..

Later, off to have a few cocktails..

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 08-27-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

I would have to go with rolling the two ball in for a safety too.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Verified Member

If someone shot the 2 in, I would shoot the 6 down to the end rail to keep from banking the 1 and 5 back. I feel if I make the 1, I will most likely make the 5. If I miss, I don't thing it will cost me more than 2. This doesn't mean its the right shot, just the shot I would take with my money.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Well, he got up there and smacked that 1 ball straight-back as if it had eyes.

Name:  his shot.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  53.3 KB

He left it here:

Name:  his leave.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post

Attachment 6886

He left it here:

Attachment 6887
Looks like he would have left an easy cross side with the 4 or straight back, crosscorner or just safety with the 6 ball. All much easier shots than the one he took ( and happened to make). Anybody remember what I said about dont shoot at anything (unless you have to) that is going to leave an easier shot than the one you are taking?

Beard
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post

Attachment 6886

He left it here:

Attachment 6887
I would shoot the 5 across corner now.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Looks like he would have left an easy cross side with the 4 or straight back, crosscorner or just safety with the 6 ball. All much easier shots than the one he took ( and happened to make). Anybody remember what I said about dont shoot at anything (unless you have to) that is going to leave an easier shot than the one you are taking?

Beard
What do you mean when you say "unless you have to" Kinda confuses me. There are many times that I would shoot a bank that would lead me to an easier bank, am I suppose to not shoot them? For instance if I have a bank that's even money to make and natural position for a bank that i'm 2/1 favorite to make, should I shoot it? I think yes. There are many different scenarios like the preceding one that I will shoot banks that are more difficult than the shot I leave. There are also many scenarios that the score will dictate what shot you should shoot ( that would supersede your axiom)

By the way, I would of shot the 1ball bank too. There are times that you should shoot shots that endorse you as a player, and if you don't then your game often suffers. The 1ball bank falls in that scenario for me, as well as it did for the shooter.

Dr. Bill
Old 08-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
What do you mean when you say "unless you have to" Kinda confuses me. There are many times that I would shoot a bank that would lead me to an easier bank, am I suppose to not shoot them? For instance if I have a bank that's even money to make and natural position for a bank that i'm 2/1 favorite to make, should I shoot it? I think yes. There are many different scenarios like the preceding one that I will shoot banks that are more difficult than the shot I leave. There are also many scenarios that the score will dictate what shot you should shoot ( that would supersede your axiom)

By the way, I would of shot the 1ball bank too. There are times that you should shoot shots that endorse you as a player, and if you don't then your game often suffers. The 1ball bank falls in that scenario for me, as well as it did for the shooter.

Dr. Bill
I have already explained myself quite clearly on the above subject. You must not have paid attention. I had previously included 3 provisos to my recommendation when I first brought it up a few threads ago. I assumed wrongly, that you had absorbed them all, that's why I didnt repeat all of them. What I had said was: Do not shoot at a shoot that is more difficult than the one you are going to leave....unless, (A.) you have a reasonably easy shot and you are playing position (which addresses -- again -- your "even money to a 2 to 1 favorite" example), (B.) You are well behind and need to go for something that would allow you to perhaps catch up. (C.) You have no reasonable safety option, so if it is just as difficult to either shoot or play safe, you might as well go ahead and shoot.

Therefore, in any "ordinary type" situation, I believe the reasoning behind my axiom holds up well.
It should be obvious, especially, for a "percentage" guy like you. Your argument, is that it is just fine to shoot at a Minus-, even though if you miss you will leave me a + Plus -,... even when you didnt have to. Why would you want to take the worst of a shot scenario?
The same thought process works quite nicely in One pocket too, BTW.

Beard

It is no surprise to me that you would have shot the one ball bank -- on a computer table. I would love to know all of those that subscribe to your shot theory and would shoot at the one instead of squeezing with the two ball. I already know who shot the one in the cited example.

Last edited by fred bentivegna; 08-31-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
I have already explained myself quite clearly on the above subject. You must not have paid attention. I had previously included 3 provisos to my recommendation when I first brought it up a few threads ago. I assumed wrongly, that you had absorbed them all, that's why I didnt repeat all of them. What I had said was: Do not shoot at a shoot that is more difficult than the one you are going to leave....unless, (A.) you have a reasonably easy shot and you are playing position (which addresses -- again -- your "even money to a 2 to 1 favorite" example), (B.) You are well behind and need to go for something that would allow you to perhaps catch up. (C.) You have no reasonable safety option, so if it is just as difficult to either shoot or play safe, you might as well go ahead and shoot.

Therefore, in any "ordinary type" situation, I believe the reasoning behind my axiom holds up well.
It should be obvious, especially, for a "percentage" guy like you. Your argument, is that it is just fine to shoot at a Minus-, even though if you miss you will leave me a + Plus -,... even when you didnt have to. Why would you want to take the worst of a shot scenario?
The same thought process works quite nicely in One pocket too, BTW.

Beard

It is no surprise to me that you would have shot the one ball bank -- on a computer table. I would love to know all of those that subscribe to your shot theory and would shoot at the one instead of squeezing with the two ball. I already know who shot the one in the cited example.
I wrote a lengthy response on this subject, long before your last reply,(#28) and lost it in cyberspace...So briefly, I also stated it could hold true in both the niche game, and one pocket..(or maybe even Golf)..

I went on to say, that I don't remember ever passing up a shot, that I was confident I could make, and maybe get some more, out of "fear" that I would miss it. I believe your rationale, is often based on your excessive 'squeeze game' and NOT on confidence in your shooting ability.

No disrespect. That is understandable, as that is the part of your game you worked on most..So those things may work best FOR YOU !..
I have a mindset similar to Dr. Bill. (surprise)...In case you haven't noticed, the landscape (in 1P for sure) has changed drastically lately...If your going to bunt and duck, against guys like Frost, Alex, and SVB..I think you know what the outcome will be..

I'm not saying I shot at a 'white flag' all the time, but One pocket, can be a hard enough game to stay in stroke at, as it is....When I was playing my best, I believed I had to let the shaft out, once in a while just to maintain my confidence..damn the outcome..But thats just me...

BY THE WAY...You are being paged over in the "Unforgiven" thread !

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 08-31-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying View Post
I would shoot the 5 across corner now.
Or the 6 straight back.