Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesmith View Post
Thanks Billy. I'm looking forward to reading your book when it comes out! While we telling stories, I've got one you'll get a kick out of.

I'm sure you don't remember this, but we met about 20 years ago at the Chicago Billiards Cafe. I was driving to Minneapolis to pick up my new CNC machine and made arrangements to meet

Deno Andrews at CBC to pick up a copy of Pedro's 3C trick shot videos. You were knocking balls around on the table closest to the counter so Deno introduced us and gave me a quick bio about

you.

About a week later I was back in Cincinnati at my poolroom, Beechmont Billiards. Bucky Bell has been a friend of mine (and a player rep for my cues) for many years. Bucky happened to be in

that morning having his morning coffee and he was hitting balls around on my old Brunswick Anniversary carom table. He made the casual statement that he wished there was someone he

could gamble with at 3C. He fancied himself as a pretty good 3C player but he said "those damn billiard players are a bunch of stuffed shirts! They won't bet that they're alive!" I said, "Bucky, I

think I can find you a little action." Just as he took a long gulp of his coffee, he asked "WHO?" I quickly replied "Bill Smith" thinking it was a generic enough of a name that he'd probably not

recognize it. To my surprise, Bucky's face kind of exploded spewing coffee all down the front of MY shirt! lol When he was able to talk, he asked "What kind of a trap are you trying to put me in?"

He went on to say "That damn Billy Smith is probably the best American 3C player on the planet, and he WILL gamble!"

I just thought you'd get a kick out of that story. When do you expect to get your book out or is it in the "thinking about it" stages like the one I've been planning to write for many years?

Sherm
Thanks Sherm; Bucky used come around, "The Rack" once in awhile. Coming out of "Bensinger's" you had to gamble at something, or starve to death.

One of my first games gambling at 3C was with Milton Berle, 10 bucks a game, 25 points. I beat 3 in a row, 30 bananas, he stiffed me, the cheap prick!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

Last edited by mr3cushion; 10-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesmith View Post

back in Cincinnati at my poolroom, Beechmont Billiards. Bucky Bell has been a friend of mine (and a player rep for my cues) for many years. Bucky happened to be in

that morning having his morning coffee and he was hitting balls around on my old Brunswick Anniversary carom table. He made the casual statement that he wished there was someone he

could gamble with at 3C. He fancied himself as a pretty good 3C player but he said "those damn billiard players are a bunch of stuffed shirts! They won't bet that they're alive!"

Sherm

Sherm, I've got a Bucky/3c story for you too....and also I was wondering if you might-could have been in the poolroom on this particular night...

It was 13 yrs. ago this November, and I was driving from Chicago to Florida to mess around for the winter...I left on a Friday morning and reached/stopped off in Cincinnati that night....I went to the action poolroom when I got there (I don't know if this was your room or not? - I can't recall the name - it had one billiard table about 2/3rds of the way back on the left side iirc ).....it was pretty busy that Friday night, lotta players there - Gary was there, Bucky etc.....Gary asked me to play some One Pocket, and I said no thanks.........I knew Bucky a little bit - we gambled/played some One Pocket a couple of years before, while at some tournament, and we came out even....

So somehow Bucky and I started talking about 3cushion - both of us of course, totally lying saying how we don't really play the game - we just hack around at it once in awhile.....what Bucky didn't know though, is that my lie was a little bigger than his lie - he thought he was trapping me, specially since it was his local table that I'd never played on before...but truth was, I played 3cushion a little better than him - probably about 3 on 25 better....

So we wound up playing 2 games, $100 a game, and I won both...afterwards we both had a good laugh together about our lying to each other.....

I came back the next night and played two different guys (who I didn't know) One Pocket - one fat guy, and one youngish straight-shooter...one of them I came out a coupla games ahead, the other guy I came out a coupla games loser - ending up even for the night.

- Ghost

PS, I like Bucky - and he's a good guy to gamble with.

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.