Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Joey and Clem couldnt play bank pool? What? Maybe in the 80s and 90s when they were over the hill or had quit playing, like Clem did. In the 60s they both spent a lot of time in Chicago on the Black South Side. There are only 2 games played there, Banks and Onepocket, and they both played plenty of both games. They were 2 of the few players that were able to win playing pool down there for years and years. Eddie Taylor, CornBread and me, were the other three.

I played plenty of bank pool with Joey in the early 60s. He played me 10 to 8. Not a good game for him actually, but I wasnt playing my best then, but I wasnt a shortstop either. Never played Clem bank pool. Bugs played Joey 8 to 7 banks, not as much spot as you might think, because he beat Buddy hall with 10 to 8.

Now as far as Clem's bank pool ability, Clem was a better player than Joey playing both OnePocket and Banks. I guess I kinda knew Clem a little myself, as he came to Chicage to see me when he was dying and in trouble.

Billy Carrelli, who was a pretty good banker and is now a horse trainer, hung in Mergards in Cincy in the 60s and 70s, and spent plenty of time with Joey, Clem, and Donnie Anderson. Billy is writing his memoirs and has been consulting with me.

Billy said Donnie never beat Clem playing bank pool in his whole life. They spent time on the road together and Clem would play one pocket and Donnie would play the banks. Billy asked Clem why he let Donnie play all the bank pool, and Clem said he's got to do something, I cant let him play the one pocket.

If anyone needs confirmation of the above, or maybe some Cincy bank pool stories, here is Billy's email address.
billycarrelli@yahoo.com

If you came from Cincy you played bank pool. If you came from Chicago's South Side -- even the White guy part -- you played bank pool.

Would Bugs shoot at the straight back? In his 20s, yes. In his 30s, not so much, unless he was playing a weak player.

Would Keith McCready shoot at the 2 ball? In a hot New York minute. That's why I left him so many of them. With him always going for everything,
I broke him every time we played.

Would Truman shoot at it? Yes he would.

Would Tony Fargo shoot at it? Probably not.

Would Tony Banks Coleman shoot at it? He always used to, and I always used to dead break him doing it.

Beard
Ok Fred,sorry to dispute you. I didn't say they couldn't play bank,I just said or meant that the whole time I was around them I never heard of them ever mention or ever wanting to play banks. And your right in that when I was around them they were getting up there in age. I never did get to play Clem,just got to meet him and chit chat with him but I did play Joey alot of 9ball and Gary alot of 9ball and banks. Good write up you took the time to make here,thanks,that's some good stuff!

About the shot we are talking about here...I just think that it's very easy to out smart yourself sometimes in these kind of situations. What if you try to duck and hit the safe bad and they jump up there and run out on ya? ( I think the safe is about as hard as the shot) I would be kicking myself for not going down swinging.That's all I'm saying. Have a nice day Mr. Beard. JB
Old 03-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brumback View Post
Ok Fred,sorry to dispute you. I didn't say they couldn't play bank,I just said or meant that the whole time I was around them I never heard of them ever mention or ever wanting to play banks. And your right in that when I was around them they were getting up there in age. I never did get to play Clem,just got to meet him and chit chat with him but I did play Joey alot of 9ball and Gary alot of 9ball and banks. Good write up you took the time to make here,thanks,that's some good stuff!

About the shot we are talking about here...I just think that it's very easy to out smart yourself sometimes in these kind of situations. What if you try to duck and hit the safe bad and they jump up there and run out on ya? ( I think the safe is about as hard as the shot) I would be kicking myself for not going down swinging.That's all I'm saying. Have a nice day Mr. Beard. JB
All I am saying is that few people are going to shoot that shot as well as you, and the majority of the players with less skill shouldnt try to be so aggressive if they have other options.

Beard
Old 03-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
All I am saying is that few people are going to shoot that shot as well as you, and the majority of the players with less skill shouldnt try to be so aggressive if they have other options.

Beard
Ok Fred,but maybe he thought his chances are better shooting than trying to outmove Efren? What would you say about that in this situation? I would like to hear your thoughts. JB
Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Ok Fred,but maybe he thought his chances are better shooting than trying to outmove Efren? What would you say about that in this situation? I would like to hear your thoughts. JB
Thinking ain't Woodward's long suit.

Here's a link to a game situation in the same match. Woodward shoots at the 2 ball 6 shots in a row while he needs them both.

He'll mature into a fine player though, just needs seasoning.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8464

P.S. Welcome back CatFishBreath

RBL
Old 03-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
I am a stone proponent of the weaker player should take the chances. If I am spotting somebody I dont want them to shoot at anything. I want them to try and out move me. The kid should probably go ahead and shoot against Effie. Hes going to be uncomfortable trying to play a managing game anyway.

Beard
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Allow me to jump in on this one. John, in this situation banking at the 2ball leading 4 balls to 2 is imo not the correct shot. Not only does the score of the game and the difficulty in the bank tell you this but the consequence you will face if missed is too costly. And to further wrong the choice is the simplicity of an effective safety that is available. There's really not that much moving with three balls left on the table, playing bank pool. Playing one pocket I agree there would be, not banks. And from where Reyes will be shooting from will make what ever moving left in the game difficult for his next inning. (Reyes)

Bill Incardona
Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Verified Member

Is this really a better 2 railer end rail to end rail corner- pocket?
Slide whltey accros face-slightest cut.

I think safety is best.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Verified Member

Curious if anyone else thinks 2 rails vs 1 strght back?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Verified Member

Default HE beat Gary Spaeth

Gary was one of the best Bank pool players that ever lived, yet the trampoline player Efren defeated Mr. Spaeth.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
Efren couldn't Bank his way out of a roomful of trampolines.
This is not among your best metaphors.

At any rate, Efren's banking, while not ypical of most bank pool players, is usually effective. I noticed he banks with inside English better than most. Also, playing one pocket, his speed is usually dead on - even if the bank doesn't go, it is a threat.

Among all of Efren's skills, I think his control of force and therefore speed is amazing. I know he is rumored to get a lot of that from playing balkline.

I know this going to sound ridiculous to anyone who plays it, but I'll engage in hyperbole to make my point: I've never played it, but having watched about 15 minutes of it, I'm pretty sure I could be the world champion. Not a lot of "cuemanship" going on there. Pretty sure you don't even need chalk.

I digress.