Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
There are so many criteria that go into deciding a list like this that it's almost impossible.

1. Pure physical talent.

2. One-Pocket intelligence in shooting & moving.

3. Is he simply a tournament player?

4. Can he play great for cash?

5. Can he play great on his own cash?

6. Does he have his own cash?

7. Does he play well when behind?

8. Does he play well when ahead?

So many so-called "top players" only fit into some of the criteria. I've only seen Varner play on DVD in tournaments so that's all I have to go on, personally. My putting him 3rd on my list reflects this.

Dennis
Obviously, I'm biased, but... I think if you listen to Nick's commentary or you live locally and donate for lessons, you get a sense of his mental toughness that is second to none. I suspect part of this was his upbringing in the Chicago squeeze tradition. However, part of it is who he is. He is a fighter. No two ways about it in terms of his psychology.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
Obviously, I'm biased, but... I think if you listen to Nick's commentary or you live locally and donate for lessons, you get a sense of his mental toughness that is second to none. I suspect part of this was his upbringing in the Chicago squeeze tradition. However, part of it is who he is. He is a fighter. No two ways about it in terms of his psychology.
SB,

Not to be overly argumentative but the only way to get a sense of a players's mental toughness is to see him gamble, on his own dime, for a sizable amount. That's the only criteria that I would use, ever.

Dennis
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Varner shot probably the best bank-shot I ever saw in a 1Pocket match. The next time I run across it I will post it for you.

Varner is probably 3rd on my list of intelligent 1P players, just below Steve Cook and Jeremy Jones.

Dennis
Jeez, when is our "new" member going to congratulate me on recognizing his genius & talent???

Of course, the Whacker followed soon thereafter with his own compliment. Always a day late and a dollar short.

RBL
Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
SB,

Not to be overly argumentative but the only way to get a sense of a players's mental toughness is to see him gamble, on his own dime, for a sizable amount. That's the only criteria that I would use, ever.

Dennis
I wouldn't use such totalitarian criteria. Well, phuck it, use those criteria - Nick has what we refer to as the best "chair game" in the business.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:17 AM
Suspended

Quote:
SB,

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
I wouldn't use such totalitarian criteria. Well, phuck it, use those criteria - Nick has what we refer to as the best "chair game" in the business.
The only thing that matters is how a guy plays on his own dime. All the rest is fluff.

I don't know who "we" is.

Dennis
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Verified Member

I ask again Bankers, does the 2 bank 2 rails more naturally then 1?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM

Default 4 railer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post
I ask again Bankers, does the 2 bank 2 rails more naturally then 1?
I agree with Brumback's first comment. Straight back! With authority! But, the 4 railer on the 2 ball is an option and I think it is easier than the 2 railer - the way the 2 is sitting - too close to the center of the table. It would need to be closer to the spot to give that a go.