Celebrate Freddy the Beard Today

JAM

Verified Member
I just wanted to take a moment to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today, Freddy. I have never met you in person, yet I feel like I know you through your incredibly cool pool writings. You are the real deal in the pool world, a living legend.

The latest encyclopedia is a masterpiece. In fact, it is the best pool book I have ever read in my life. You are a treasure!

May today bring you much joy. I hope you are surrounded by loved ones and friends. Enjoy your birthday to the fullest!

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Happy Birthday Freddy!

A little story. At the time I started OnePocket.org I knew Grady fairly well already, because of my interest in One Pocket, and Grady was living in Maine (or had been recently) at that time, I got to see him quite a few times. So Grady was my initial go-to guy for the world of One Pocket out beyond my New England region.

Forward to the first small One Pocket HOF dinner at the Exec West DCC in January 2005, Grady was our MC there, and it was an eye-opening first event for all of us, to see how much it meant to players like RA, Beenie, DD, Bugs and even to Efren -- who at that time had already been honored about every which way possible. Grady did a fine and highly entertaining job -- his health (all around) was still good -- and then after most of the speeches, Grady invited Freddy up to say a few words about the inductees. Freddy was a hit of course. From then on, he and Grady shared the MC job until Grady could no longer do it. I will be forever grateful for Grady of course, but there is no way the HOF would be the kind of event it is without Freddy.

In all my interviews with players, I have been impressed at the detail they can remember, but some have really stood out, and none more than Freddy. To me "THe Encyclopedia" is not just his book, it really is the man -- he is a walking encyclopedia of pool action history. He is not the only one of course, but what sets him apart is his ability to communicate so readily in all different media -- in person, in writing, in commentary and in video. To that degree, with that background knowledge, he is one of a kind.

Here is a toast to you, Freddy the Beard!!

Jimmy B

Verified Member

And here's another toast for The Beard. Dr. Bill, Artie, and The Beard are absolutely the reason I began to read this MB, although I've met many other great people since that time. And I've read every single post that's been put up since that time in 2011, when I got barred from az. (90 days). It's been good therapy. His book is a masterpiece of course.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well, Freddie, Happy Birthday from me, too. Do something nice for yourself today, and try hard to live up to Steve's opinion of you. We must hope he has not laid it on too thick. Best of luck.

Bill

akrick

Verified Member
Happy Birthday Freddy

Happy Birthday Freddy

Breathe on Brother!
Happy Birthday Freddy and many more.
Thanks for the memories!
Rick

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hey Fred, I wish to add my well wishes to you on this special day of yours. Blow out all the candles and may all your wishes come true. Thanks for all you contribute to this site.

Tom

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday,Freddy

You have been an inspiration to many!!

Enjoy this day!

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Happy Birthday Freddy!

Good Health and Good Rolls to you for the next year!

I can't say enough good things about "THE" Encyclopedia or Banking with the Beard.
I've been through my copy of Banking with the Beard so much that it is already starting to show some signs of wear. I don't know how you did it but you got the physics right(which almost no one does!) and conveyed it to the reader in a way that anyone can understand and remember. It's one of the best Pool books out there.

Bill

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Happy birthday Freddy!

I don't know you and consider that my loss.

Thanks for your contributions both here and to pool lore in general. Both the living it and reporting on it.

The Encyclopedia rocks, as do your other books.

take care and enjoy your day

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Happy Birthday Fred, time has really flown by and the memories we have shared are many and great, enjoy today and every day my friend.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
Happy Birthday soldier. A true five star General in the SS.

Attachments

• Birthday.jpg
    Birthday.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Happy Birthday soldier. A true five star General in the SS.

Man, that photo is cool with the 9-ball tire and the birthday cupcake in the front seat. How did you do that! Very nice! :cool:

RedCard

Verified Member
Man, that photo is cool with the 9-ball tire and the birthday cupcake in the front seat. How did you do that! Very nice! :cool:

Thanks JAM. About the only thing you've got to worry about with tires like those is they tend to independently go towards potholes. Easlily remedied though, you just chalk your hands up a little extra before grabbing the steering wheel.